Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured."

Beans

"udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured."

Hello, I have suddenly gotten a huge problem with my Ubuntu (Studio).

After I shut it down two days ago, I have been unavailable to get into it again. The only thing I can think of having done during that session, was to update things with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. The error message I get is "udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured." with a black background. After a few seconds, it says it is not able to boot up, and gives me the option of a few commands which I can see by typing "help" (if you need to know what it says to help me, let me know and I will take a picture of it and write down what it says).

I can boot up with my Live CD, but I am not permitted to use root user and I can only run a few of the commands which I have read others having used in my position (and yes, I remember to put "sudo" in front of the command).

Any suggestions of what I should do?

Beans

Re: "udevadm trigger is not permitted while udev is unconfigured."

I have the same problem with my Ubuntu Studio. I was able to boot into a prior
    version, but I am a clueless noob about how to fix the damage (or configure udev,
    as it seems to be asking...)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RufusVS View Post
    I have the same problem with my Ubuntu Studio. I was able to boot into a prior
    version, but I am a clueless noob about how to fix the damage (or configure udev,
    as it seems to be asking...)
    Let me know if you find a solution to the problem, then
    I've concidered deleting Ubuntu Studio and then install Ubuntu again instead, but the problem is that there's so many configurations and files and such on Ubuntu Studio that I just don't want to leave, so I'd rather like to recover the system

Beans

It wasn't easy to find, but quite easy to do.

I was able to boot up into another version of the Linux kernel. If you don't have
    the option, you might need to boot off a Live CD. I'm not sure if you'll need
    extra steps with Live CD.

But all I had to do was type:

sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.32-24-generic

(the 2.6.32-24-generic was my "problem kernel", do a:

ls /boot

to see what versions you have)

The idea is, there is a special ram-based file system used during the bootup
    process (ramfs) that is a special image attached to the kernel. If it's not
    created properly, this error occurs.

Let me know if this works for you!

Rufus

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RufusVS View Post
    It wasn't easy to find, but quite easy to do.

I was able to boot up into another version of the Linux kernel. If you don't have
    the option, you might need to boot off a Live CD. I'm not sure if you'll need
    extra steps with Live CD.

But all I had to do was type:

sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.32-24-generic

(the 2.6.32-24-generic was my "problem kernel", do a:

ls /boot

to see what versions you have)

The idea is, there is a special ram-based file system used during the bootup
    process (ramfs) that is a special image attached to the kernel. If it's not
    created properly, this error occurs.

Let me know if this works for you!

Rufus
    How did you boot up into the other Linux kernel? My terminal would not let me execute the command through Live CD, but it seems like a good command, so it will probably work if I get into that. I'm a bit of a beginner, so I'm not completely sure what "kernel" is yet though

Beans

RufusVS's solution worked for me. The difference is that I had to use the liveCD. Here are the steps I took (learned most of the trick here: http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/show....php?p=9798322).

1. Boot liveCD
    2. "sudo fdisk -l" to find your boot disk, in my case it is /dev/sda1.
    3. "sudo mkdir /media/newroot"
    4. "sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/newroot", change sda1 to whatever your boot disk is.
    5. "sudo chroot /media/newroot"

Now follow RufusVS's suggestion,

6. "ls /boot" to find your latest kenel. Mine has both 2.6.32-24-generic and 2.6.32-24-386. I don't know which one is causing the problem, so I updated both.
    7. "sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.32-24-generic"
    8. reboot and smile.

Thanks Rufus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Audi200Q View Post
    RufusVS's solution worked for me. The difference is that I had to use the liveCD. Here are the steps I took (learned most of the trick here: http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/show....php?p=9798322).

1. Boot liveCD
    2. "sudo fdisk -l" to find your boot disk, in my case it is /dev/sda1.
    3. "sudo mkdir /media/newroot"
    4. "sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/newroot", change sda1 to whatever your boot disk is.
    5. "sudo chroot /media/newroot"

Now follow RufusVS's suggestion,

6. "ls /boot" to find your latest kenel. Mine has both 2.6.32-24-generic and 2.6.32-24-386. I don't know which one is causing the problem, so I updated both.
    7. "sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.32-24-generic"
    8. reboot and smile.

Thanks Rufus.
    Weird thing is, this time I could become root with these codes and stuff. The only thing that seems to be a problem is the last bit, because it says:
    sudo: unable to resolve host ubuntu
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic
    grep: /proc/modules: No such file or directory

And it says the grep-part three times in a row, before leaving me to it as root@ubuntu:/#

BUT IT WORKED! SO I'm currently following your 8th step and is VERY thankful!

Beans

Yes, I forgot to mention the error messages for the last step. Just like what you did, I ignored them and it worked.

Beans

This looks perfect - does anyone know how to boot a live CD in a Parallels Virtual Machine?

Richard

Beans

I had the same problem with the 2.6.32-24-generic on a regular Ubuntu 10.04 after I run the updates yesterday. Perhaps the problem is related to the latest updates?

Regards
    Ralph

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast