Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Sound in Ubuntu 10.10 (ARRRGH!)

Beans

Angry No Sound in Ubuntu 10.10 (ARRRGH!)

I was hoping that the release of Ubuntu 10.10 would solve the fatal sound problems I've been having with Ubuntu 10.04 but no luck. C'MON, GUYS, WHAT ARE YA DOING?!?

Now what do I do?!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: No Sound in Ubuntu 10.10 (ARRRGH!)

What sound card are you using?

This is the first release where my sound works out of the box.

Beans

I'm also having issues all of a sudden with sound in 10.10.

My sound card is the one packaged with the Acer Aspire 6920, though I cant seem to find the model number anywhere.

Everything was working perfectly fine yesterday, though something seems to have broken somewhere along the way, similar to as reported here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1572272 .

This: https://bugs.launchpad.net/system76/+bug/463874 sounds like the right sort of thing, and may help others, though does not apply in my case.

I think it might be an issue with the kernel version, as solved here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1316634 , though these instructions are obsolete for 10.10, especially taking into account GRUB 2.

In the mixer on the panel no hardware items are listed, lshw lists no sound devices and ubuntu-bug audio crashes on account of there being nothing in /proc/asound/cards.

This is bad.

I have now run out of ideas, short of rolling everything back to OSS (something I would very much rather not do), and am in a bit of a tight spot, having a mass of work to do already today. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dominus_sapiens View Post
    lshw lists no sound devices
    It should list your sound card/chip regardless of whether a driver is loaded. Does lspci (or lsusb) show it? If not, make sure your sound card is enabled in the BIOS, and try a Linux LiveCD or other OS to rule out hardware failure.

Oh, and to the OP.. more info please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've got the same problem with the 10.10 update. I did the update then downloaded and testing with a live CD to see if a fresh build would havesudo fixed the problem.

You can list your specific sound info in a terminal with the following command:

Code:
    sudo lshw -c sound
    You mentioned that you didn't get any sound section but allot of info rolls if you don't provide some sort of filter.

My info is as follows:

*-multimedia
    description: Audio device
    product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 1b
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
    version: 03
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
    resources: irq:45 memory:f4700000-f4703fff

waiting to see if there is a fix in the next week otherwise I'll have to roll back to 10.04
    Last edited by MikeyDL; October 12th, 2010 at 08:49 PM.

Beans

Hi.

I've been having this problem since the upgrade to 10.10 as well. I did a regular upgrade using the update manager. My sound system was working well on 10.04. Had some problems with skype though that I solved with an older version of skype and not using pulseaudio. Anyway... Since 10.10 my sound hasn't worked at all. I would prefer to use pulseaudio since that's ubuntu standard, but sound is kind of important...

The problem is that
    • there is no sound
    • sound options show "dummy output" as only output system
    • after some fooling around the sound icon in the panel indicator disappeared

Some info that might be of use:

Code:
    $ sudo lshw -c sound
      *-multimedia UNCLAIMED  
           description: Audio device
           product: VT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition Audio Controller)
           vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
           physical id: 1
           bus info: pci@0000:80:01.0
           version: 10
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
    Code:
    $ cat /proc/asound/cards
    --- no soundcards ---
    Code:
    $ cat /proc/asound/devices 
      2:        : timer
      3:        : sequencer
    Code:
    $ cat /proc/asound/version
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux pontus-desktop 2.6.35-22-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Sun Oct 10 09:24:00 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    $ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:235: no sound card found...

I hope this gets the attention it needs since we seem to be a bunch of people with similar problems.
    "My life is 50% sarcasm and 50% sick humour."
    -Me (said with 50% sarcasm)

Beans

PtS: the driver didn't load. dmesg should tell you exactly why it didn't load. You may want to reinstall alsa-base package and your kernel package (linux-image-something) to make sure snd-hda-intel.ko hasn't been modified/corrupted.

Beans
    Distro

For me both the Acer main laptop and netbook sound went out. However, I did get the netbook sound back. Found that in System - Administration - Users and Groups. Go to advanced settings and then User Privileges and make sure that "use audio device" is checked. It wasn't for both my laptops and checking on the netbook fixed that one at least.

For my Acer it finds the device, just won't work. Put in a bug report and have 13 hits with the same issue so maybe device specific.

Beans
    Distro

Finally got it working!

Had to follow a thread on the bug report for this. Don't fully understand but somebody put together a deb to fix the issue. The link to the bug post is as follows:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/617647

towards the end of the discussion is a link for the deb package. Installing that fixed my Acer 7736z sound problem.

Beans

I think that there is some major problem, with pulse audio..
    I make a post about Creative X-fi Xtreme audio - system recognize my sound card, everything looks working, but not... I was google-d for more than 4 hours, and no solution to me. Looks like we have to wait Ubuntu team to Fix this Issue...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast