Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MagicJack in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: MagicJack in Linux

K, the question was Magicjack in Linux. Not Magicjack in Linux and Windows lol. Anybody can run it in Windows.
    I copied this from another board. Hope that's ok.

Quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by gnimsh
    So I've been doing a lot of testing of softphones in linux lately, and I've had some very mixed results. I am currently using Ubuntu 7.10. I installed a VMWare machine, and first ran the MJ on that fine, complete with phone support and everything. But I wanted to go further than that and run something natively, so I didn't have to run the VM all the time.

Here are the programs I tried: linphone, Kphone, wengophone, ekiga softphone, gizmo project, xlite (for linux, and the windows version under wine) and twinkle. The only one I actually had any success with is twinkle. Edit: I got Xlite to work, see instructions at bottom.

let's see if I an streamline this.

TWINKLE

You can find twinkle here and they also have many packages towards the bottom for the major distros. I'm gonna go through and show you guys how to set up twinkle to get it to work, because I got it to work the first time I installed ubuntu, didn't document it, and then reinstalled (from 64 bit to 32 bit) and struggled until just this morning to get it work.

Here is a link to some deb files for very easy installation of twinkle: http://www.getdeb.net/app/Twinkle

So first, in your user account you'll need to set up your user name.
    Your name
    username (E<your number here>01), the
    domain (just the IP address).

Next the SIP authentication.
    Leave the realm field blank.
    authentication name is your username the E<your number here>01 number.
    Then fill in your password.

Move next to the SIP server section.
    For the registrar you will need to use proxy1.nashville.talk4free.com:5070
    Check the register at startup box.

Outbound proxy: proxy1.nashville.talk4free.com:5070
    Check use outbound proxy box. Don't check the other 2 boxes below it.

Next, for the voicemail, just fill in your phone number (minus the E and 01), and choose unsolicited from the dropdown menu.

That's all you need for the basic functioning of the phone, so enjoy!
    X-LITE
    Click the button to the right of the "clear" button in the center of the xlite console. Choose system settings>SIP proxy>default.

Double click enabled, change to yes.
    Display name: whatever you want.

Username: your proxy username
    Authorization user: also your proxy username.
    Password: Your sip password here
    Domain/realm: UserDomain
    SIP Proxy: proxy1.YourCityHere.talk4free.com
    Out Bound proxy: proxy1.YourCityHere.talk4free.com:5070 (if your ProxyPort is different use that instead of 5070)
    After this all the fields remain at default, change nothing.

Beans

Hi, MagicJack actually works out of the box for me! Just plug it in, wait for a minute or two, pick up the phone and you should hear the dial tone! I tried this in Fedora 10 and it worked. Not sure about Ubuntu though. Someone could test it out, maybe?

Good Luck!
    The Software box said "Windows XP Or Better"... So I installed Ubuntu .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Well, if a dialtone is all you want, congrats! Did you try calling someone before you posted? I have a dialtone also but that's all. I've just tried wine. It does recognize the usb but wont run the software.
    I'm going to go try one of the methods I posted earlier that he says he got working.

Beans

I am successfully running MagicJack in Ubuntu 2.6.27-9-generic and VMware Server 2.0.1 with WindowsXP Pro. This box also runs Mythtv and is my workstation.

I could not get MJ to run in VirtualBox/WindowsXP. MJ connected and downloaded software, but the voice was too choppy to be usable.

VMware requires patience and care when installing. There are other forums that cover the install and the required compiler parts.

You will need to register with VMware and get a free license in order to run the software. Be sure to copy the license number when it is generated, it is not sent by email.

tar -xf VMware-server-2.0.1-156745.i386.tar.gz
    cd vmware-server-distrib/
    sudo ./vmware-install.pl

Open a browser, put in
    http://<your computer name>:8222/ui/# for the URL. This should get you to the Virtual Machine where you can setup your Windows VM.

Be sure when you compile and run the VMware install.pl you make yourself (your Ubuntu login name) the administrator. VMware defaults to root if you don't and then VMware owns all the hardware on your machine and won't share it with Ubuntu.

To create a Windows Virtual Machine in VMware, I had to make my WindowsXP install disk into an .iso file in order to load it. The CDROM simply would not start the Windows Setup. Insert the CD,

cat /dev/scd0 > /home/alan/WindowsXP.iso (use appropriate device ID and home directory)

I like the fact I have just one computer running 24/7 for both Mythtv and my new phone.

Beans

Actually, I can make calls to people with Fedora. Not sure why it won't work in Ubuntu though...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by icanfly0307 View Post
    Actually, I can make calls to people with Fedora. Not sure why it won't work in Ubuntu though...
    so you just plug the magicjack in the fedora 10 and it will make a receive calls. are you serious? because that's some real good news! Could you give more details, as how it sounds? what kind of computer you have?, I'm about to install fedora then.

Beans

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that I can get MagicJack to work with VMWare on Fedora. I couldn't get VMWare to work on Ubuntu...

Beans

just found this...april 2009 the owner said this....
    http://blog.laptopmag.com/magicjack-...g-in-2009-2010

Linux compatibility: Mac and PC users have been using magicJack for some time now, but Linux has been left out in the cold–but not much longer. According to Borislow, Linux compatibility should be available “3rd quarter of this year.” This addition will be available to both current and new magicJacks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bsskibum View Post
    just found this...april 2009 the owner said this....
    http://blog.laptopmag.com/magicjack-...g-in-2009-2010

Linux compatibility: Mac and PC users have been using magicJack for some time now, but Linux has been left out in the cold–but not much longer. According to Borislow, Linux compatibility should be available “3rd quarter of this year.” This addition will be available to both current and new magicJacks
    I doubt this will happen we are into 09 now and still no linux support. That comment was made in 08. I got it to work in VirtualBox but the sound is terrible in order to use it I have to boot into windows and then the sound is flawless.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hay.. need to ask you something..

went from xp to ubuntu one my systems.... complete wipe.... Need to know... if some one can help me create a barrier breach between . two ideas I would like to mesh... Magic jack.. to work on my ubuntu.. With a small. cell phone capable software. either boost or a Sph A600 ... with the applications.... with phone.. extions.. from magic jack..(kind of a forwarding to a dead .. phone.. on a old signal.. no connect.... but from wireless.. wifi.... you see where i am going.. if you think i have something hit me.Up....

Thanks.......

HtmlGifted

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast