Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vaio ID 05ca:1839 Motion Eye Webcam

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Sony Vaio ID 05ca:1839 Motion Eye Webcam HELP!!!!

Hello. I just installed the latest version (9.10) and I'm having with my webcam. I installed it in my Sony Vaio CR305E.

I followed the instructions on the previous posts but it didn't work for me.

Can someone please help me? Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is there a version available for Karmic?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

The previous instructions worked for me back in a previous version of ubuntu, but since installing ubuntu 9.10, karmic koala, my camera has been lost completely and the above instructions no longer work to restore it:

sean@renegade:~/tmp/2/r5u870$ sudo make clean
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-17-generic/build M=/home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870 clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic'
    CLEAN /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/.tmp_versions
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic'
    rm -f Module.symvers

sean@renegade:~/tmp/2/r5u870$

sean@renegade:~/tmp/2/r5u870$ sudo make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-17-generic/build M=/home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870 V=0 modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic'
    CC [M] /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.o
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c: In function ‘usbcam_v4l_vidioc_querycap’:
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c:522: error: ‘struct device’ has no member named ‘bus_id’
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c: In function ‘usbcam_v4l_ioctl’:
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c:1170: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘video_usercopy’ from incompatible pointer type
    include/media/v4l2-ioctl.h:298: note: expected ‘struct file *’ but argument is of type ‘struct inode *’
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c:1170: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘video_usercopy’ makes integer from pointer without a cast
    include/media/v4l2-ioctl.h:298: note: expected ‘unsigned int’ but argument is of type ‘struct file *’
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c:1170: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘video_usercopy’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    include/media/v4l2-ioctl.h:298: note: expected ‘v4l2_kioctl’ but argument is of type ‘long unsigned int’
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c:1170: error: too many arguments to function ‘video_usercopy’
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c:1174: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘video_ioctl2’ from incompatible pointer type
    include/media/v4l2-ioctl.h:302: note: expected ‘struct file *’ but argument is of type ‘struct inode *’
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c:1174: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘video_ioctl2’ makes integer from pointer without a cast
    include/media/v4l2-ioctl.h:302: note: expected ‘unsigned int’ but argument is of type ‘struct file *’
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c:1174: error: too many arguments to function ‘video_ioctl2’
    /home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.c:1162: warning: unused variable ‘udp’
    make[3]: *** [/home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam/usbcam_fops.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870/usbcam] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/sean/tmp/2/r5u870] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

did anyone else have this problem? better still, did anyone else recover from this problem?

sean@renegade:~/tmp/2/r5u870$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05ca:1839 Ricoh Co., Ltd Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC6 [R5U870]

someone back on page 1 suggested removing all old version of r5u870 - but i'm not sure how to check i've done that successfully. any pointers?

and last question, does the r5u870 work under both gnome and kde? or only one of these?

thanks for your help

Sean

Beans

Yo, Sean, try this:
    Get the r5u870 folder and put it somewhere; like "/Documents", for example.
    Now shoot a terminal and type:

sudo modprobe -r uvcvideo

sudo modprobe -r r5u870

cd Documents/r5u870
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe r5u870

Now type again:

dmesg

this will list a couple of things, but at the end it should say something like "registering r5u870..." something like this.
    Try now to open skype or emesene, or amsn. check at the properties>video devices. it should work. otherwise, something else should be wrong.
    i've got it working some time ago, but i've got to be flat honest with you; linux sucks in these areas. Darn it, once you install something in windows, you know where to look, you know exactly what to do if something goes wrong... this ubuntu appears to be a challenge.
    by the way, i am using 10.04 lucid, which is still in beta release, although, 100 times better than koala, yet, it fails badly to satisfy me as i wish it to /// i wanted to give up on window$ once and for all, but still... let me know if anything changed.

Beans

@zotrules

Thanx for the info. It worked out fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: [ALMOST Solved] Sony Vaio ID 05ca:1839 Motion Eye Webcam HELP!!!!

Hi zotrules,

Thanks for that.

Mine was a new install of 10.04 on a Sony VAIO VGN-Z18E so I didn't use the two lines
    sudo modprobe -r uvcvideo

sudo modprobe -r r5u870
    Should I have done? EDIT: Just had to, as when I rebooted the image was upside down! Right way up now though

The reason I ask is that the webcam works fine with Cheese on 320x240 but on 640x480 I get two duplicate images in the top third of the window with the bottom two thirds a solid green colour.

Is there any way to clear this final hurdle?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by siabost; August 9th, 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Beans

Siabost, for some reasons, this webcam will work on Ubuntu only in one resolution. I think it has to do with the programs being used. I get the very same problem if i use it with skype. I have tried everything and cannot fix it. But, i suppose, since in Ubuntu everything is a file, even the configuration settings, it must be curable.
    when you try it with cheese and switch to the unsupported resolution; try running dmesg in a terminal, and you will see exactly what is going wrong with it. For some reasons, the program is trying to force the camera work on an, apparently, unsupported resolution. I have no idea to this point as to why this is happening. that is exactly why i wrote above that i tend to dislike Ubuntu about this. I could fix it if that happened on windows, but Ubuntu??? very, very much unsupported - at least to my liking.
    I am very certain though that this problem CAN be solved. I just don't have the neccessary expertise. sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well i am a complete an utter beginner and having some 1 problem. After doing the terminal commands at the start i ran into issues so used the .deb package @ http://www.palmix.org/r5u870-en.html which installed etc fine.

My issue is cheese only runs at th 320x240 resolution (which above you say cannot be fixed at present :S and also the image is upside down ! if anyone can help would be much appreciated.

Oh and just relised i have the 05ca:1837 Motion eye according to skype.

Upsidedown Fix: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=838210 source is down currently though....
    Last edited by RDT1; September 15th, 2010 at 12:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi RTD1,

I had the same upside down problem upon reboot.

Check the middle part of my post of 8th Aug above for the two commands (in terminal) that worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by siabost View Post
    Hi RTD1,

I had the same upside down problem upon reboot.

Check the middle part of my post of 8th Aug above for the two commands (in terminal) that worked for me.
    Cheers man. Just tried them now and still have the same problem.... oh well .. without them i would occasionally have it right way the "boot" seemed to chose its position. so illl just reboot until i get it right ahah

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast