Thread: Desktop disappeared

Beans

Desktop disappeared

Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
    Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6
    Kernel: 5.15.0-84-generic x86_64
    Intel Core i5-3570

During the last kernel update I believe there was some glitch that interrupted the download. Nevertheless on trying again it did (report that) it installed correctly.

But the desktop has disappeared. Not only all the icons but the desktop itself. Right or left click and nothing happens. Cannot drag anything to the screen. The desktop is just not there.

Sticky notes are there, visible. I suppose they are "stuck to the screen" and not to de desktop. All other windows also work fine.

Using Synaptic I have reinstalled Cinnamon and Nemo but the problem persists.

I have booted with older kernels but the problem persists.

I have booted with Linux Mint 18 and everything works as it should.

The problem may or may not be related with the kernel update. Maybe the glitch caused some file to become corrupted.

The desktop is the only thing missing. Otherwise Nemo works fine, I can see all the icons in the desktop folder and I can start programs or files from Nemo or from the Start menu.

My suspicion is that the desktop program (Cinnamon?) is just not running but the other programs which are running, including the sticky notes, show up on the screen just fine.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Desktop disappeared