Thread: Download window is not popping up

Beans

Download window is not popping up

Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, up to date

When I like to download something, i.e. an attachement from my webmail, or upload an attachement the popup window for choosing the file/ save folder does not appear.
    This happens since... a year? I can do the task with drag and drop, sometimes...

The browser I am using is firefox, 116.0.3 (64-bit), Mozilla snap for ubuntu, canonical-002 - 1.0

The system is updated frequently and I was waiting to get it fixed, but it isnt.

Is that a problem with "my Ubuntu"?

How can I fix it?

Edit: uninstall and new install of firefox did not help

best regards
    Last edited by DocHotzenplotz; September 21st, 2023 at 10:27 AM.

Beans

Re: Download window is not popping up

edit:
    in other applications this function is working

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to General Help.

Please note the tag line in the Resolution Centre:

Account queries following change to SSO login
    Please read this sticky BEFORE posting your request in the Resolution Centre.

Username change requests
    Please read this sticky BEFORE posting your request in the Resolution Centre.
    The Resolution Centre is, in general, the place to make inquiries regarding your Ubuntu Forums account.
    Last edited by QIII; September 6th, 2023 at 09:34 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The default folder into which downloaded file normally go is called Downloads. It is the default location in Firefox. To change the default download location in Firefox click on the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines in the top right corner of the Firefox Window. Select Settings. Then scroll down to Files and Applications. There you can change the default folder for downloads.

Some web sites that offer files to download do offer a dialog where we can choose which folder to save the file in. For web mail you may need to choose a Save As option. With Thunderbird there is also a save as option where we can choose the folder.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Sorry, that is not my problem...
    My problem is, that there is no "dialog window" popping up, where to download a file to or save as.

Beans

Under Files and Applications/Downloads check "Always ask you where to save files".