Thread: POSTFIX on LAMP server sending tons of SPAM

Beans

POSTFIX on LAMP server sending tons of SPAM

Hello,

we have a small Linux box that hosts a few websites. We are using a relay to send the mail through. Our relay queue got super high and all messages are submitted from our LAMP server. I have gone through the mail logs and I see they are coming from ourselves which would be the www-data account. how can I tell what is causing this. I have checked the cron jobs and do not see anything scheduled besides our backups. any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the third time in 2 months this has happened. It ranges from 6-10k emails that try and get blasted. Luckily our filter rate limits these. But I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Here is the main.cf
    # See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

# Debian specific: Specifying a file name will cause the first
    # line of that file to be used as the name. The Debian default
    # is /etc/mailname.
    #myorigin = /etc/mailname
    smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
    biff = no
    # appending .domain is the MUA's job.
    append_dot_mydomain = no
    # Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
    #delay_warning_time = 4h
    readme_directory = no
    # TLS parameters
    smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
    smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
    smtpd_use_tls=yes
    smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
    smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject _unauth_destination, reject_unauth_pipelining, re$
    # See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the postfix-doc package for
    # information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.
    myhostname = LAMP-PROD.domain.com
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
    myorigin = /etc/mailname
    mydestination = Aries.domain.com, LAMP-PROD.domain.com, localhost.domain.com, localhost
    relayhost = filter1.domain.com
    mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128 x.x.x.x, x.x.x.x, 10.0.0.0/16, reject
    mailbox_size_limit = 0
    recipient_delimiter = +
    inet_interfaces = all
    inet_protocols = all
    smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic

Here is a grep of the log.
    Sep 20 18:14:07 LAMP-PROD postfix/cleanup[18994]: 504A81C30C4: message-id=<20130920231407.504A81C30C4@LAMP-PROD.domain.com>
    Sep 20 18:14:07 LAMP-PROD postfix/qmgr[18904]: 504A81C30C4: from=<support@domain.net>, size=650, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Sep 20 18:18:34 LAMP-PROD postfix/error[19569]: 504A81C30C4: to=<guydunlap26@yahoo.co.uk>, relay=none, delay=21142, delays=21142/0.02/0/0.01, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection with filter1.domain.com[x.x.x.x] while sending DATA command)
    Sep 20 18:19:15 LAMP-PROD postfix/error[19725]: 504A81C30C4: to=<guydunlap26@yahoo.co.uk>, relay=none, delay=21183, delays=21183/0/0/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection with filter1.domain.com[x.x.x.x] while sending DATA command)

Any help on how to debug further to find the root cause would be greatly appreciated. I looked through our firewall and say tons of ip addresses hitting the server's port 80 so I cannot go through them all and try and block.

Thanks,
    Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: POSTFIX on LAMP server sending tons of SPAM

If you have someone/something hacking your web sites then it is nothing to to with your mail server, look in your web server logs to find out what is going on.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way