Thread: Stripes in video

Beans

Stripes in video

I've recently changed to from Windows XP to Ubuntu on my laptop. I've updated the drivers for my video card, but ever since the upgrade it seems to have difficulties playing video on full screen. It takes a long time to load the fullscreen, and there's stripes on the screen, which get worse on scenes with a lot of movement.

I have noticed though that if i unplug my adapter, the display seems better. But there's still some stripes.

Is this a driver problem? Or rather a hardware problem? It seems like something software related since it started since the change to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Stripes in video

Which graphics card are you using? And which version of drivers is currently installed? I believe you installed them from the repositories.

Did you try with different media players?

have noticed though that if i unplug my adapter, the display seems better.
    Which adapter are you talking about?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    Which graphics card are you using? And which version of drivers is currently installed? I believe you installed them from the repositories.

Did you try with different media players?

Which adapter are you talking about?
    Hey, thanks for your reply

From what i've read, this seems to be the video card i have: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    My drivers seem to be FGLRX

The adapter i'm talking about is the power supply to the laptop. If i unplug it, i see less stripes in the videos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Make sure you are using the latest version of drivers. Look under System > Administration > Additional Drivers for 10.10 or Hardware Drivers for 10.04 and older. If it is an older version of drivers or even if it is the latest one, uninstall reboot and install the current one. Reinstallation might just help.

The adapter i'm talking about is the power supply to the laptop. If i unplug it, i see less stripes in the videos.
    That is uncommon. Atleast I have never heard of that before.