Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to 10.10 stuck at "Configuring grub-pc" section (screenshot)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Upgrade to 10.10 stuck at "Configuring grub-pc" section (screenshot)

The screenshot was actually taken from a seperate computer that I used to VNC into the one that is actually running the upgrade. It appears the window manager is no longer running, or at least that's what it told me when I try to click the Show Desktop button in the lower left.

The problem I am having is... well, I can't see what the heck that window in the background says because the one up front is in the way and I can't get it to move out of the way. Stranger still is the fact that the window in the background isn't worthy of it's own tab in the bottom panel, so it's not like I can just click on it and bring it up front. I'm not sure what it says, what's it's asking, or why the one in the fore ground is hanging off the edge of the screen. How do I fix this?

Edit: Well, either I've jumped the gun or cut to the chase or whatever you want to call it. I decided to just shut the machine off (via the shutdown menu). WHY??? you ask? Because I couldn't even type a command into the terminal window. The keyboard (I hadn't noticed until now) didn't appear to be functioning at all. Anyway, the system is now totally hosed (I expected this). The desktop fails to load. There's no possible way to get it to somehow pickup where it left off during the upgrade is there? Perhaps something can be typed into a recovery mode accessed terminal?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by diablo75; October 11th, 2010 at 03:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Upgrade to 10.10 stuck at "Configuring grub-pc" section (screenshot)

What OSes wre on your system to begin with?
    It may be an option to boot from the live cd then follow the details in this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099
    This will purge and re-install grub to your system. It may pick your system up and it may not. I'm pretty sure the install is toast.
    If that doesn't work there is a program called Testdisk in the repos which some people have found very useful for recovering partitions.
    Good luck
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't think that'll have any luck, even if you recover grub the rest of the system will be in an inconsistant state and may not even be able to run apt or dpkg to even attempt to recover.
    There is NO such thing as a humble opinion
    Remember : RUNNING UNKNOWN COMMANDS CAN DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER
    Please read and ensure you understand the entire thread before posting to avoid redundant and/or irrelevant and/or misleading posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you can get the system to a console prompt try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans

Cool Re: Upgrade to 10.10 stuck at "Configuring grub-pc" section (screenshot)

Hi,

I have the same problem, the upgrade process is stuck in phase "Configuring grub-pc" and I can't answer the question about the configuration files because the window is not accessible. I have modified grub boot file (dual boot) but the new default would be fine for time being.

One reason could be that I left my computer unattended when the download began. Now I can run any program with Ubuntu start menu or console but I can't close, move or resize any windows and the upgrade process is stuck. Naturally I can kill programs too, this is how I found what's going on.

I will look forward to any pieces of good advice and leave my computer in this problem state until Tuesday evening EET. Hopefully someone has the problem solved then.

Cheers,
    Ilkka Kudjoi

Edit: MooPi's suggestion to attempt to configure the packages with dpkg fails because dpkg is locked.
    Last edited by Nilakka; October 11th, 2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer MooPi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

MooPi's suggestion to attempt to configure the packages with dpkg fails because dpkg is locked.
    You could kill the hung dpkg process then restart dpkg --configure -a ?
    Code:
    killall -e dpkg
    Last edited by MooPi; October 11th, 2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Clarify
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    What OSes wre on your system to begin with?
    It may be an option to boot from the live cd then follow the details in this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099
    This will purge and re-install grub to your system. It may pick your system up and it may not. I'm pretty sure the install is toast.
    If that doesn't work there is a program called Testdisk in the repos which some people have found very useful for recovering partitions.
    Good luck
    The ONLY OS that was on there was Ubuntu 10.04, which was based on a fresh install I did earlier this year. It was not an upgrade from 9.10. Windows has never been on this system.

Grub, so far as I could tell, seems to be working the way it's supposed to as the OS does technically "boot", but the ubuntu splash isn't replaced with the desktop, panels, window manager or anything. Just a couple error messages about GNOME power settings being screwed up and something else.

I am going to attempt to enter a terminal window and enter the dpkg command mentioned elsewhere in this thread to see if it works. If not, oh well. I have to say, I'm quite frankly embarrassed about the fact that I'm not the only one who had this problem, especially when you consider that this was a "normal" install of Ubuntu. I had it functioning as a print server, an SSH server, a bitorrent client for my cell phone to sent files to, a media server (via PS3MediaServer; based on java), a VNC server, and at one time an apache server but shut it down.

This problem is obviously related to the fact that the window manager had been shut off during the upgrade and not turned back on. Had it been available, I should have been able to move the windows around each other and address the issue.

Beans
    Distro

SUCCESS!!

For anybody else reading this looking for the solution to this kind of problem, here's what I did (starting from the state pictured in the screenshot in the first post).

1. Click the shutdown button and softly shut the computer down, mid-upgrade.

2. Hold down the SHIFT key during boot to access the Grub menu and select the second item down in the list (should be the latest version of your kernel with the words "Recovery Mode" in the name).

3. A menu will appear. Hit the down arrow until you hit the last item, "Enter root prompt".

4. Type:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    This will continue the upgrade starting roughly at where it left off.

For me, I happen to see the little "Info message" box that I couldn't read earlier pop up in CLI blue-screen as pictured in this post. Adding insult to injury, it would appear the only thing I had to do (if I was able/allowed to do it) would have been to click OK and the upgrade would have continued. Thank goodness for the terminal. I think I'll probably do all upgrades exclusively through it from now on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thank you very much for solving this problem just in time!
    xD

PS.: I have a dual-boot on my netbook and was upgrading from Ubuntu Netbook 10.04 to 10.10.
    Last edited by Matruskan; October 12th, 2010 at 06:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by diablo75 View Post
    SUCCESS!!

For anybody else reading this looking for the solution to this kind of problem, here's what I did (starting from the state pictured in the screenshot in the first post).

1. Click the shutdown button and softly shut the computer down, mid-upgrade.

2. Hold down the SHIFT key during boot to access the Grub menu and select the second item down in the list (should be the latest version of your kernel with the words "Recovery Mode" in the name).

3. A menu will appear. Hit the down arrow until you hit the last item, "Enter root prompt".

4. Type:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    This will continue the upgrade starting roughly at where it left off.

For me, I happen to see the little "Info message" box that I couldn't read earlier pop up in CLI blue-screen as pictured in this post. Adding insult to injury, it would appear the only thing I had to do (if I was able/allowed to do it) would have been to click OK and the upgrade would have continued. Thank goodness for the terminal. I think I'll probably do all upgrades exclusively through it from now on.
    This issue popped up during two upgrades last night. The first one was on my Dell Mini 9 and while the grub info screen was behind the upgrade progress screen, the OK button was visible to the right of the progress screen and I was able to click it (although I could not read the text of the window). I didn't think anything of it other than I was surprised by the lack of polish in the process. I went ahead and upgraded my Dell Optiplex 620, but when the issue appeared again, this time the upgrade progress screen completely hid the "OK" button. I forced a reboot to see if it would pick up the install but just got a purple screen and an error about GNOME power management. The computer was up and on the network and able to log in remotely, though, so I wasn't terribly concerned. I needed to go downstairs so I took my mini 9 with me, ssh'd in to the computer, and ran "sudo dpkg --configure -a" from there. Piece of cake from there. I agree that I'll be upgrading from the command line from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast