Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.10 runs slow and jerky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: 10.10 runs slow and jerky

Just a me too post.

Fresh install of 10.10 using the propriety ATI drivers. Not sure they are the cause but as people here are talking about graphics drivers a lot thought I'd mention.

I don't get any actual freezes that I've seen but after some time from boot things become stilted in the GUI of everything and sound becomes similar, jumps and repeats.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The only problem I have under 10.10 is that the Network-manager applet shows that there are no network devices available, however the devices are working properly.
    I didn't experienced any major slowdown in this release, contrary it's maybe even faster than 10.04.

Beans

Angry Re: 10.10 runs slow and jerky

Me too! Runs jerky, can't watch hulu anymore, when I install small software programs nothing works until the install is done (takes at least 20 minutes). Mouse won't move. I am going to try to get rid of Ubuntu one at start up, see what that does. Worse than my old XP was. Since I could never install 10.04 then I might just have to go back to 9.10, at least I could watch and listen and load software and when support stops in April I might try Peppermint (ice), something designed for mainly internet.

Beans

For everyone responding to this thread saying "me too", can you post what your system specs are? CPU, Motherboard, Graphics card, if you're running 32bit or 64bit, etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cquilliam View Post
    For everyone responding to this thread saying "me too", can you post what your system specs are? CPU, Motherboard, Graphics card, if you're running 32bit or 64bit, etc.
    Also seems like there multiple issues being reported in here. If people posting could also verify that their "Sys" usage is high when running the "top" command. Also verify that System Monitor is showing high core usage when the system is idle (all apps closed but system monitor).

Beans

Well I started this morning with my 10.10 upgrade on a working 10.04 system. After the restart I was greeted with a black screen complaining about an IRQ. I just glanced at it, and didn't really get a good look. Ubuntu then went to the regular purple boot screen and proceeded to take 30 minutes to boot.

When I finally got into my upgraded system things were abysmally slow. I could barely use it. I went ahead and searched and found this thread and took the advice be given here. I uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia drivers. That sped things up quite a bit. My second and third boots took about 30 seconds and the IRQ (whatever it was) error went away.

Now my system is slow and jerky. I went from unusable to semi-usable. When I try to open terminal through application>>accesories>>terminal it gives me a flashing cursor for two minutes, and then finally gives me the standard bash prompt. It takes way too long to open any application, like 1 -2 minutes a piece. The system becomes sporadically unresponsive as well. While I've been writing this it has stopped responding at least twice for a minute or so, and this is the only page I have open in firefox. It's the only program I'm running too.

I went ahead and checked top and gnome system monitor. NOTHING is chewing my resources up. My cpu load looks to be what it was under 10.04.

My hardware is as follows.

Intel Pentium -D 3.0GHZ Pressler
    Asus P5LD2 Deluxe
    2GB of RAM
    EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTS (Nvidia Driver 260.19.06)
    80GB WD Raptor SATA Hard Drive
    Zonet ZEW1642 Wireless Card

This issue has been exclusive to 10.10 on my system. I didn't have it before upgrading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cquilliam View Post
    I have almost your exact specs. Except not quite as beefy of a graphics card. Is everything working smoothly for you?

Beans

I messed around some more, disabling various devices (sound, lan, etc) in bios, reinstalling from scratch UNchecking updates and restricted packages, installing some updates from the proposed branch, still no go. Herky jerky responsiveness despite nothing eating up my resources.

I'm going to try JulioBahar's listed solution tonight (kernel update) - sounds promising.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to mess around with different installs and see if the same thing happens on Kubuntu, try 32-bit version of both, etc, in an attempt to isolate it further.

Almost ready to just give up and roll back to 10.04, but not quite yet.

Beans
    Distro

Me too, high system cpu usage goes in and out though.
    It appears that if I fill my cores with stuff to do the problem goes away.
    The problem occurs both with and without proprietary drivers + on livecd.
    Ive tried disabling just about every mod (rmmod) and the problem will not go away, so it is probably not module related, and is clearly not dependant on graphics card/driver.
    Specs:
    Intel i7 920 Overclocked to 4.0GHz
    EVGA X58 SLI LE
    4x2GB DDR3 1600
    2x Nvidia GTX 260
    USB Audio
    Alfa Wireless-G (Realtek RTL 8187)
    Last edited by Blue Matt0; October 12th, 2010 at 04:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

For those with Nvidia graphics cards, the issue probably has to do with this bug I would assume: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes.

They still don't have the nvidia-96 driver working, so there is a whole list of Nvidia cards that people can't get the drivers for. I'm no technical expert, but I found this and thought it might be helpful to some people?

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast