Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.10 runs slow and jerky

Beans

Re: 10.10 runs slow and jerky

I just downloaded a new copy of 10.10 again and did a clean install. Everything seems to be running smoothly now, but I will have to wait and see. I also removed Ubuntu One from the startup list, though, it didn't seem to make any difference so far.

Update: It still acts jerky like before. I'm not sure what's causing the problem. Can Pulseaudio be the problem?
    Last edited by Shaythong; October 11th, 2010 at 06:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Extremely frustrating. I have narrowed it down to the NVIDIA Propriety drivers on my system, everything ran smooth until I installed them, then everything would freeze everytime I clicked something for about 30 seconds, mouse would stutter, then click something else and freeze for 30 seconds...Took me 8 minutes to remove Nvidia drivers.

Now running minus the NVIDIA Propriety drivers and everything is running as smooth as it should with the drivers. Can live without them for the time being...but don't think I should have to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Running on i5-750, 8G ram, nvidia 260gtx after upgrade from Lucid, symptoms follow:

- Text input just stops (buffers though, annoying as hell)
    - Video output is extremely laggy - feels like trying to watch xvid on a 90's cellphone. I've tried vlc, totem, mplayer, smplayer, gnome-mplayer. Totem and VLC skip frames, mplayer variants skip audio as well.
    - Graphic rendering is sometimes buggy, redrawing fails sometimes and the GTK elements sometimes feel slow.
    - No issues with music playing though.

I have tried:
    - Purging ubuntu's nvidia drivers from my computer and installing the stable drivers from nvidia's site. No noticeable effect.
    - Changing font rendering. Seemed a bit faster, but not really a solution.
    - Monitoring processes. The only process that appears to go into 20% cpu is the xorg process. Average load around 30% - nothing that explains my situation.

Additional comments:
    - Please do not act like this should be normal upgrade procedure. I have been upgrading Ubuntu distributions since Hoary without my computer (this was a clean Lucid install though) turning into a piece of ... A re-installation is a work-around at best, not a solution.

Keeping a log of my attempts to fix this here (not a plug, just trying to have as much information in one place as possible).
    Last edited by iMerlin; October 11th, 2010 at 07:31 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iMerlin View Post
    Running on i5-750, 8G ram, nvidia 260gtx after upgrade from Lucid, symptoms follow:

- Text input just stops (buffers though, annoying as hell)
    - Video output is extremely laggy - feels like trying to watch xvid on a 90's cellphone. I've tried vlc, totem, mplayer, smplayer, gnome-mplayer. Totem and VLC skip frames, mplayer variants skip audio as well.
    - Graphic rendering is sometimes buggy, redrawing fails sometimes and the GTK elements sometimes feel slow.
    - No issues with music playing though.

I have tried:
    - Purging ubuntu's nvidia drivers from my computer and installing the stable drivers from nvidia's site. No noticeable effect.
    - Changing font rendering. Seemed a bit faster, but not really a solution.
    - Monitoring processes. The only process that appears to go into 20% cpu is the xorg process. Average load around 30% - nothing that explains my situation.

Additional comments:
    - Please do not act like this should be normal upgrade procedure. I have been upgrading Ubuntu distributions since Hoary without my computer (this was a clean Lucid install though) turning into a piece of ... A re-installation is a work-around at best, not a solution.
    I agree, it should run pretty smooth with the system you have.
    I myself have a custom built PC. running Ubuntu 10.10 x64
    Asus motherboard
    AMD phenom x6 1055t
    with 4GB of ram
    BFG 9800 GT

So far on my system, its running super smooth. much faster than the last kernel update in 10.04, and its finally reading the CPU speed correctly when i run windows inside of virtual box.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKeyHunter View Post
    I agree, it should run pretty smooth with the system you have.
    I myself have a custom built PC. running Ubuntu 10.10 x64
    Asus motherboard
    AMD phenom x6 1055t
    with 4GB of ram
    BFG 9800 GT

So far on my system, its running super smooth. much faster than the last kernel update in 10.04, and its finally reading the CPU speed correctly when i run windows inside of virtual box.
    WOW!... you have some crappy GFX & ram for that 6 cores CPU
    Just kidding... but I'd recommend saving some $$$ and upgrade it so that your CPU enjoys more its home
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans

Cool Re: 10.10 runs slow and jerky

heh...anyone using these specs? 2.1GHz AMD Athlon XP 3000+, and NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500?
    Last edited by FullMetalManiac; October 11th, 2010 at 07:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Shaythong View Post
    What processor and graphics card and how much RAM do you have? Does Ubuntu One actually cause your system to be jerky or does it just increase startup time even if you're not using it?
    Not very impressive, compared to most..

My graphics card is the same one in the old Dell Dimensions (2350)
    that was giving everyone problems in 10.04..

actually~ graphics card is this [i believe]~ correct me if im wrong~
    lspci
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    But it has no issues at all in 10.10.

Processor Im unsure of exactly what it is..
    , but from what I gather~ it is intel celeron 2.20 GHz.

1GB RAM.

I found that by letting Ubuntu One run on startup,
    it does actually make the system slow and 'jerky'.

It almost feels how my windows XP used to feel~
    (sloooow and unresponsive)
    very slow, very unresponsive, and every process takes wayyy longer than it should.

But when I saw this happening yesterday in 10.10~
    I tried to think of what I had done differently that would cause it to do this...
    and the only thing Id done was to setup Ubuntu One.

So I went into "processes" and saw that indeed, Ubuntu One was hogging up a ton of resources...

So I simply went into "startup applications", Saw that Ubuntu one was set to start when the PC started, and unchecked it, so that I would not start on startup.

Then I restarted, and everything was back to running normal and fast.

Ubuntu One did not make the system/desktop startup any slower , but it certainly affected how everything else ran.
    So no, it didnt effect startup time, just every other process.

Sorry if that doesnt answer your question.
    But I hope it's sufficient infos.

anyway, Ive never seen this machine run better with any other OS~
    and 10.04 ran amazing on it..

But 10.10~ truly is the perfect 10!
    It turns an old worn out machine into something like new again!

Actually...
    This computer did not run this well when it was brand new with windows XP, about 8 years ago.
    It has never run better than it does now, with Ubuntu 10.10
    Last edited by Rasa1111; October 11th, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by davidmohammed View Post
    Under 10.10, the 855GM cards work using the worse than useless fbdev drivers. You should have stuck with 10.04.

Suggest try the workaround here described in the description. If it doesnt work, go back to 10.04.
    Do you know if there's a similar fix for Intel GMA 900 video? I'm using Ubuntu Netbook Edition on a Dell Inspiron 1300 (1.6GHz Pentium-M, 2GB 533MHz DDR2, 915GM chipset).

Beans
    Distro

Ok so I'm not sure what else to do. I don't want to keep whining but really this has been a bad experience for me. Here are my specs:

Intel core i7 930 @ 2.8 ghz
    6gb ram
    nVidia GeForce GT 240

I had 10.04 running great. It was the best my machine had performed. I finished this build a few months ago and completely formatted and installed Ubuntu after running ******* 7. I first did an upgrade to the 10.10 RC. Terrible performance. I ended up trying to remove/install the drivers and all that and have found every forum post I thought I could. I keep coming back to this post hoping someone has figured something out... I waited for the official release and tried to upgrade again from 10.04. Same issues. My boot time went from about 40 sec. to well over 4 min. So I burned a disk and booted and did a fresh install. I now have the exact same issues. I've tried deactivating/enabling drivers. I can't get nVidia drivers working manually installing, and I still have a boot time of about 5+ min. This is extremely frustrating and I'm not sure how the Ubuntu developers can call this stable. I'm very jealous of everyone reporting great success but I just don't see it. I'm experiencing the following to recap:

Buffered input
    Extremely Slow boot
    Laggy video performance and window management

I've also tried to turn off the font smoothing and booting into safe mode and changing the themes... nothing fixes it. Also "top" didn't solve any questions Xorg is the top process with only about 2% of my CPU

Please please please someone help. I want to be able to have the 10.10 experience and not have to do yet another frustrating fresh install of 10.04

I really do appreciate the help that these forums provide but if the title of the forum post is "Slow and jerky" I don't know how it is constructive to come tell people you don't have that problem. If you don't offer a solution there's not really a good reason to post in a thread. I'm sure there are threads titled "Awesome experience in 10.10" where you can go talk about it.

Sorry for the rant... I'm just disheartened by this experience and frustrated

Beans

same problem here!
    ubuntu 10.10 is noticeably slower than 10.04,
    i normally open a lot of programs at the same time, ubuntu 10.04 had no problem with it, but 10.10 becomes much slower.
    i am running a gnome screensaver called ElectricSheep, it was working fine and smoothly on ubuntu 10.04 but now its so jumpy and not as high resolution as it was.
    also when I open windows xp in virtualbox, 10.10 becomes much slower than 10.04.
    and it's jumpy while I input text in firefox.
    i don't know if i have to downgrade (if possible!) or is there any solution

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast