Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.10 runs slow and jerky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: 10.10 runs slow and jerky

Installing the latest kernel seems to have fixed it for me too. For what it's worth, I tried EVERYTHING before I installed the new kernel. I even re-installed the entire OS.

I have tried the rc5 and rc8 from here ( http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ ) and they both seem to correct the all the problems mentioned above except maybe the network stuff. Everything for me stemmed from high "IOWait" thanks to a rogue kernel process which would eventually simply crash the whole system.

I can't believe Ubuntu shipped like this. It's very disappointing and took a long time for me to figure out.

Ubuntu 10.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon(tm) 7550 Dual-Core Processor 2.5Ghz
    2GiB DDR2
    GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    As for doing good; that is one of the professions which is full. Moreover I have tried it fairly and, strange as it may seem, am satisfied that it does not agree with my constitution.
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite81 View Post
    Installing the latest kernel seems to have fixed it for me too. For what it's worth, I tried EVERYTHING before I installed the new kernel. I even re-installed the entire OS.

I have tried the rc5 and rc8 from here ( http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ ) and they both seem to correct the all the problems mentioned above except maybe the network stuff. Everything for me stemmed from high "IOWait" thanks to a rogue kernel process which would eventually simply crash the whole system.

I can't believe Ubuntu shipped like this. It's very disappointing and took a long time for me to figure out.

Ubuntu 10.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon(tm) 7550 Dual-Core Processor 2.5Ghz
    2GiB DDR2
    GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Seems to only be a temporary fix. after a week of running the RC8 of of the kernel, the freezing reared it's ugly head, switch off desktop effects and the problem disappears.

The step forward seems to be a step back to a stable 10.04 as it seems nothing good, certainly no improvements are experienced in 'UP'grading to 10.10

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by d_fiant_1 View Post
    Seems to only be a temporary fix. after a week of running the RC8 of of the kernel, the freezing reared it's ugly head, switch off desktop effects and the problem disappears.

The step forward seems to be a step back to a stable 10.04 as it seems nothing good, certainly no improvements are experienced in 'UP'grading to 10.10
    You may be right. I spoke quickly, I had only been using the new kernel a short time.

After leaving my computer on for 24 hours with kernel rc8 and Metacity w/compositing enabled I am still not experiencing as many of the problems I was, at least not to any debilitating extent. (Compiz, on the other hand, has worked poorly for me for some sometime and needs to be updated.) I am still experiencing some performance issues. It seems some file operations are not up to par, mainly moving files. But installing updates no longer shuts down my whole system or affects audio playback. I still can't use Chromium, which for whatever reason freezes my audio and sends the IOWait through the roof. But if I log out and in it'll work fine, at least for a while.

I've gotten pretty good at using Linux over the past year, but this is beyond my expertise. To market Ubuntu the way they do and then have this going on is unacceptable! Did they skip Q & A to hit the 10/10/10 release date? The funny thing is I have been using 10.10 since beta 1 and experienced no problems. But it was 32bit. When the final hit I upgraded to 64bit. I'm considering dropping back down to 32bit or trying another OS.

To compensate for some of Compiz's functionality I can make some recommendations. I use Devilspie/Gdevilspie for window rules. They are available in the repos. For window tiling I use Pywo, which is available here: http://code.google.com/p/pywo/ As for windows inexplicably appearing under other windows, that's apparently a "feature". Hope that helps, and I'll report back when/if everything goes to crap again.
    As for doing good; that is one of the professions which is full. Moreover I have tried it fairly and, strange as it may seem, am satisfied that it does not agree with my constitution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

FIXED i swaped my winfast A180 card (graphics) for a FX5900 and installed the nvidia 173 driver now all is running well so i think that its a driver issue as the nvidia 96 driver seems to be the fault (in my case)

Beans
    Distro

Even with the new kernel the OS still eventually became unusable. I have uninstalled Ubuntu 10.10 64bit (for the 2nd time!) and am now using Mint 10 32bit. Everything seems to be working fine, although I have not updated the kernel to 2.6.35-22.35 from 2.6.35-22.33, if that makes a difference.

I've been using it for a few hours w/Compiz enabled have experienced no problems yet.

As for the graphics card solving the problem, that was only a temporary fix for me. I tried the 173 and 260 drivers, and also the 260 from Nvidia's website. I also used the open source Nouveau driver for a while. In all cases the problems resurfaced.

I also did benchmarks on my hdds which passes. The Smart data was fine as well and I booted into Partition Magic rescue disk and fsck'ed everything.

I've tried many more things, All to no avail. Also, I used two separate ISO's just in case my downloads were somehow corrupted (I also checked the MD5 checksums which were correct in both instances).

So my take is to just ditch 64bit for now.

Beans

The 2.6.35.x kernels included with the Maverick installation were indeed barely usable for me.

But my problems have completely gone away using both the 2.3.36 RC7 and RC8 kernels. I'm using restricted drivers on my ATI Radeon and have full compiz effects enabled, too. I can't wait for the final to be released in the repo's so that others will get this fix automatically.

Maverick is now (finally) working better for me than Lucid. I'm a fan again.

Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 64-bit
    Intel Core i7-930
    EVGA X58 mobo
    6GB ram
    ATI Radeon HD 5870

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Interesting thread
    My PC:

C2D E7200
    2GB Ram
    GForce 8400GS PCIe
    etc.

Upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 from 10.04. Tried lots of NVidia stuff until I could fix resolution with "Linux Display Driver - x86 NVIDIA Recommended 173.1428 October 18, 2010"

but now everything (compiz effects mainly) run SLOW

I've read upgrading kernel to RC could fix this? How should I do it? Thanks
    Enrique Becerra
    @kabeza
    Beza

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

kabeza,
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594239
    Posts #6 and #8 show how I tried other kernels
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kabeza View Post
    Interesting thread
    My PC:

C2D E7200
    2GB Ram
    GForce 8400GS PCIe
    etc.

Upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 from 10.04. Tried lots of NVidia stuff until I could fix resolution with "Linux Display Driver - x86 NVIDIA Recommended 173.1428 October 18, 2010"

but now everything (compiz effects mainly) run SLOW

I've read upgrading kernel to RC could fix this? How should I do it? Thanks
    Hi Kabeza,

Looks like you have same issue I had. This is what I did go thru this website and follow the instructions http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185.

or this are the steps I followed.

Download these files in any order from website http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    1. get all linux headers all.deb
    2. get all linux headers amd64.deb
    3. get all linux image amd64.deb
    depending upon the machine architecture 32 bit or 64 bit .

After you download these files install them in this order
    1. install linux headers with all.deb
    2. install linux headers with amd64.deb
    3. install linux image with amd64.deb

install is easy since it installs these from UBUNTU SOFTWARE CENTER automatically.

For me after I did this, I am really happy with ubuntu, with all my compiz effects on and with screenlets and lot more, no issues so far. Runs like a charm.

Good Luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm having a similar issue here on a newer HP i5 Core Processor with integrated Intel HD Graphics. The issue only occurs when I suspend my laptop one time. The last known good kernel configuration is indicated in the bug report (2.6.34). It seems most nVidia users are affected, but this slow down is a major usability issue and step backwards from Lucid. I've been trying every mainline kernel daily and it has yet to subside.

Here is the bug report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/664190
    Dell XPS m1530 / nVidia 8400 GS / Broadcom 4328 Wireless / 10.10 (64 bit) / 2.6.35.22-generic /
    HP DV6-2170US / Intel HD Graphics / i5 Core Processor / Broadcom Wireless 43225 / 11.04 (64 bit) / 2.6.37-11-generic

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast