Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB Installation: Detect and mount the CD-ROM Failed?

Beans

Smile Re: USB Installation: Detect and mount the CD-ROM Failed?

I think I may have found an issue here.

I'm having the same issue with the cdrom. It's seeing the cdrom, it's mounted, but the files are bad. Looking in /var/log sys-something I found an error looking for:
    /pool/main/l/linux/fs-secondary-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.udeb

The issue is the file in the ISO ends with .ude not .udeb If you look in the ubuntu iso dir:
    /pool/main/l/linux/

You'll see the file:
    fs-secondary-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.ude

So the installer cant find that file and it fails. I would guess that the cdrom installer knows there is a file name limit and the files match so it's all good. But with the USB stick not being a true cdrom, the inncorrect file name creates an error. Anyway, that's my guess so far.

--- update----
    So I corrected the extensions for all files in that directory. Now it installs without issue.

Last edited by gzader; January 28th, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: problem solved

Beans

Re: USB Installation: Detect and mount the CD-ROM Failed?

Incorrect file extensions were exactly the problem for me. Not only did it solve the CDROM issue, but it took care of my network config problems as well! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This is wierd,
    I had the same issue. I was installing ubuntu server 10.04 from a USB stick and geting the cdrom detect error. I unplugged the USB Drive and plugged it into a different USB port and it worked.
    hope it works for others too.
    Cheers!
    -Shantanu Bhadoria

Beans

Also had same issue, install wanted the CD. But when I took the same image and created a USB stick instead of using a 100MB hard drive, it just worked.

Not sure if it is a bios thing or a installer thing.

Ubuntu 64 bit server 11.10

Beans

I also had this issue. I followed @gzader's instructions and the error was gone. Just had to rename 5 or 6 files in the /pool/l/linux directory but it is still a pain, especially when you are a novice like me.

I hope ubuntu does something about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12