Thread: Need help and documentation on connecting to a company network

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Need help and documentation on connecting to a company network

I hope this is the right forum! Sorry if it is not and please move it if it is not!

I am trying to convince my IT dept. into letting me have an Ubuntu workstation. Therefore I am trying to get any documentation I can together in case they have questions along the way and try to ease concerns right off the bat. I am unsure if any of my IT Dept even uses Linux....

The main thing I am wondering is, is it possible to allow an Ubuntu workstation into the network? Can it be set up that when I log in to the workstation, it logs me into the network like windows does, meaning my user and password are directly tied to the network? where can find information on this and how to set it up?

I have the documentation for Evolution mail and connecting it to the MS exchange and the RDC already. This seems to be the peice I am missing. Thanks in advance!!

Geeve
    Dell E521, AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 dual-core, 3GB Ram, PNY GeForce 9800GT 1GB, Acer 1916W x2, 250GB internal (main), 500 GB internal (backup), 1TB External

Beans

Re: Need help and documentation on connecting to a company network

Moved to Networking

I believe that something called winbind, part of samba can do this but I don't know any details.