Thread: cant get star wars knights of the old republic to work installing with playonlinux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

cant get star wars knights of the old republic to work installing with playonlinux?

so i have a copy of star wars knights of the old republic, and i wanted to try and run it under wine in 10.04. i have never had success with WINE before, but now i get different results.

i install the latest playonlinux for the first time from the website. i run the application, let it install the version of wine that it uses, and continue the installation of kotor. i pop all the cds in as it asks for them, and when it gets to the actual installation, it goes smoothly. i apply the patches, including a no-cd patch for convenience. i adjust the wine settings for my resolution, and turn off hardware mouse. then i run the application, the splash screens show just fine, but when i get to the main menu, the whole things just doesnt work. the 3d image of the sith lord on the left is really messed up, and i cant navigate the menus. when i have attempted this before, the application would never launch. im thinking that its my hardware that messed up and not compatible. help!

(btw, i am getting a new computer that is powerful enough to be considered a gaming pc, and it will run win7 and xp)
    Last edited by steve19137; June 1st, 2010 at 11:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: cant get star wars knights of the old republic to work installing with playonlinu

What do you have for a video card/chipset?

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro

Re: cant get star wars knights of the old republic to work installing with playonlinu

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    What do you have for a video card/chipset?
    not really sure. i have a compaq presario c551nr and a dell mini 10v. i get the same results for both of them. playing this game really, and i mean REALLY, wants to make me dual boot winxp and 10.04. i did some research, found crossover games, configured things right, and got the same results. i also read that in order to play kotor 1 on linux w/ crossover, you have to use an older version. i wonder if i will have access to older versions of the software if i buy the full thing.... i would by it then because i have other games that run better w/ crossover than w/ wine.
    Last edited by steve19137; June 2nd, 2010 at 09:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Neither one of those machines are really capable of playing this game, even on Windows, they just don't have the hardware to do it. The Presario might have better luck with its Intel 950 graphics, but only on Windows and only if you turn down or off all of the graphics bells and whistles.

Beans
    Distro

well, i did install vista on my presario for testing, and i am able to play the game at a good frame rate, but not at the actual resolution. i think its a 15" screen, and kotor 1 and 2 dont support that resolution. im actually looking into a new laptop now so that i can play these games. thing is, i want a laptop that plays these games, but i dont want to pay for a $1000 laptop to play games that run on a $300 presario. do you have any suggestions on that topic? currently, i have found this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-...=1218152461763) laptop, which i plan to upgrade the ram in if i buy it, but i dont know much about graphics cards, so if you could tell me if it has a good card, that would be great.

Beans
    Distro

"Page not found" error on that link.

If you are looking to do any kind of serious gaming on a laptop, then you need to consider only those machines that have an ATI or Nvidia graphics solution, especially if you plan to do your gaming on Linux (personally, I would stick with Nvidia only in that situation). Intel does not have very good driver support in Linux and while it may work fine for some Linux native games, it is always going to be lacking when it comes to gaming via Wine. Unfortunately, in order to get a machine with better grpahics, you are probably going to have to buy one of those near $1000 laptops. One of the ways manufacturers keep the prices of laptops like the Presario down in the sub-$500 range is by using the much cheaper and less powerful Intel graphics solutions. This is one of those scenarios where you really do get what you pay for, at least in terms of the hardware.

Beans
    Distro

but you see, i beg to differ. i am able to play kotor (1 and 2), final fantasy 7, battlefront 1, and civilization 4 without any frame rate loss or anything out of the ordinary. the thing is, i run those games in vista. not prime, would rather have more ram and win7, but they work. i couldnt tell you why it works, but im satisfied. but serious gaming was never my intentions. im not looking for mindblowing graphics. if i can get them on a sub-par graphics card, im not going to argue.

anyway the specs in that broken link...

i think this was the one i was looking at (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-...=1218152461763). if the link doesnt work, its a presario CQ60-615DX. i see this laptop as a real contender for my money because it has pretty much the same specs that i have now in my current presario, just bigger proportionally. and it has 64-bit processor w/ win7! a few of the reviews say that they were able to play some games on there. and not simple flash games either. other reviews online say that they were able to play civilization on it. i think it might be a good computer for what the recommended system specs in the games are. your input?
    Last edited by steve19137; June 5th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

or, this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...164036446)asus gaming laptop. if the link doesnt work, it is a asus G60JX-RBBX05. it has some pretty hot specs, including a nvidia graphics card.