Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Convert ogv to avi and upload to youtube

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HOWTO: Convert ogv to avi and upload to youtube

After having trouble uploading ogv files to youtube and getting help on the forum I thought I would put a quick video howto together showing how to convert the file and upload it to youtube. First, the command I used to convert the ogv file to a avi was this:

Code:
    mencoder foo.ogv -o foo.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts fast:preset=standard -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=4000
    OK, here is the link to the video on the howto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuhYV0voL3M
    Last edited by irv; June 13th, 2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: changed long example file name to foo.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Convert ogv to avi and upload to youtube

An easier way is to just use Handbrake.

http://handbrake.fr/

Encode your .ogv source file as .mkv normal profile. Upload that to youtube, done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stmiller View Post
    An easier way is to just use Handbrake.

http://handbrake.fr/

Encode your .ogv source file as .mkv normal profile. Upload that to youtube, done.
    What could be easier then a CLI, enter the command and you are done. Just to check it out, I set "ppa:stebbins/handbrake-snapshots" in the repositories and installed handbreak and gave it a spin. I converted a ogv file and when I went to play it, it was missing a lot of the graphics. You could see background and mouse movement but no desktop or wallpaper. Very bad converted file. So I un-installed it and removed from repository. Back to my easy way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

OK irv, I'm glad you got it sorted.
    I've tested your command with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic and the YouTube upload is fine.

Just a suggestion, in your HOW-TO, why not use generic names for the ogv and avi files.
    eg foo.ogv and foo.avi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ron999 View Post
    OK irv, I'm glad you got it sorted.
    I've tested your command with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic and the YouTube upload is fine.

Just a suggestion, in your HOW-TO, why not use generic names for the ogv and avi files.
    eg foo.ogv and foo.avi
    I will take you suggestion next time. Thanks.

Beans

I'm really frustrated here. Instead of posting information as if you already know it, could you explain how to do this step by step. I watched your info video and it explained nothing. A lot of people search these forums for clear concise info and have no idea where to begin.

I posted your "code" in the terminal and nothing happened accept:

MEncoder SVN-r1.0~rc3+svn20090426-4.4.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
    File not found: 'foo.ogv'
    Failed to open foo.ogv.
    Cannot open file/device.

I then replaced "foo.ogv" with the file name of my short video clip and got this:

MEncoder SVN-r1.0~rc3+svn20090426-4.4.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
    File not found: 'beastclips.ogv'
    Failed to open beastclips.ogv.
    Cannot open file/device.

Exiting...

I'm sure you can now tell that there are visitors to Ububntu forums that have no idea what they are doing - Like me - Help please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    After having trouble uploading ogv files to youtube and getting help on the forum I thought I would put a quick video howto together showing how to convert the file and upload it to youtube. First, the command I used to convert the ogv file to a avi was this:

Code:
    mencoder foo.ogv -o foo.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts fast:preset=standard -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=4000
    OK, here is the link to the video on the howto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuhYV0voL3M
    Extremely poor how-to for two reasons. You have it backwards. AVI is a busted old media container that used in Flash. The web is moving away from flash video players in favor of HTML 5 audio and video tags. Theora in the future as well as WebM will be natively supported in YouTube with HTML 5 . I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but it seems like you are completely misinformed! If anything it would be wiser for the time being to show people how to use H.264 in an MP4 container, which is even more acceptable rather then a crappy old container that's older then I am. I am not trying to start a flame war, but I don't understand why people have a difficult time understanding this.
    Last edited by HotshotGG; June 21st, 2010 at 06:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HotshotGG View Post
    Extremely poor how-to for two reasons. You have it backwards. AVI is a busted old media container that used in Flash. The web is moving away from flash video players in favor of HTML 5 audio and video tags. Theora in the future as well as WebM will be natively supported in YouTube with HTML 5 . I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but it seems like you are completely misinformed! If anything it would be wiser for the time being to show people how to use H.264 in an MP4 container, which is even more acceptable rather then a crappy old container that's older then I am. I am not trying to start a flame war, but I don't understand why people have a difficult time understanding this.
    I am not a video guy, all I was interest in doing was to get a video uploaded to youtube that worked. After reading your reply I understand what you are saying. OK, let me ask if you can do a howto on converting ogv to MP4 using H.264. And I will see if this howto could be removed.
    And don't worry about starting a flame war, I am not taking offense on this subject.

Edit: I am adding this edit because I found this howto dealing with the newer technology.
    http://lardbucket.org/blog/archives/...bm-and-ffmpeg/
    Last edited by irv; June 23rd, 2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: addition to post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: HOWTO: Convert ogv to avi and upload to youtube

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I am not a video guy, all I was interest in doing was to get a video uploaded to youtube that worked. After reading your reply I understand what you are saying. OK, let me ask if you can do a howto on converting ogv to MP4 using H.264. And I will see if this howto could be removed.
    And don't worry about starting a flame war, I am not taking offense on this subject.
    If you want to it would be wiser to simply start a new one showing people how to encode to Theora or WebM, which are more widely supported within Linux and will be supported in HTML 5 in the future. I am am not knocking your tutorial I am simply making a suggestion. If you want any assistance with that I can help you out. Ogg Theora is already supported within Firefox, Opera, and Chrome btw built-in. There is no need to convert to flash for any particular reason whatsoever. I don't blame you just the the people on YouTube who make everything complicated. Google is well aware of the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The best document on "videos on the web" I ran into can be found at:
    http://diveintohtml5.org/video.html

I have also used a program call devede to convert files from ogv to avi.
    In the above mention document, it states:
    You may think of video files as “AVI files” or “MP4 files.” In reality, “AVI” and “MP4″ are just container formats. Just like a ZIP file can contain any sort of file within it, video container formats only define how to store things within them, not what kinds of data are stored. (It’s a little more complicated than that, because not all video streams are compatible with all container formats, but never mind that for now.)
    I found this very interesting because I never looked at AVI or MP4 files in this way. It was very helpful in understanding these formats.

Also I have been doing some searches on Theora and WebM's. I have been trying to educate myself on video over the web. With HTML5 I really am seeing things are changing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast