Page 99 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

I activated the reccommended nvidia driver and have been up for almost 7 days w/o lockups. I also installed the proposed kernal too. A nice side benefit of the nvidia driver is that compiz is enabled. I haven't had any problems with compiz yet either. I'm still reluctant to declare the random lockups solved or can reccomend 10.04 to anyone until the devs know what the problem is and how it was solved (although we seem to be ignored here).

I'll update this in another week.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by satish_j View Post
    Anyone tried the downgrading kernel option from 2.6.32 to 2.6.31..
    I have run Xbuntu with kernel 2.6.31 without any freezing problem. However, if I perform any update to the system the freezing problem reappears.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
    You might be the first one with a log file. Can you please post this log in Launchpad?
    Which issue to post logs to? If they need logs, I'll send mine! I figured they must have had SOMETHING to work from...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Out of sheer desperation I decided to upgrade to kubuntu 10.10 beta just because it could not get any worse. After all the files had downloaded and while in the middle of upgrading, the xserver decided that this was the time to go to low-graphics mode.

Now I need to know: Is it still upgrading? It said 4 hours remaining just before it went to black. Is there anyway to get to a point where I can see what is going on without trying to reboot.

Yes, I know I'm an idiot. It's my own fault. I realized that I had made a mistake as soon as I started downloading but kept hoping that it would all work out...
    "It's not the age, it's the mileage."

Beans

3 days with no freeze, using kernel 2.6.34 and the standard Nvidia "Version Current" driver in System>Administration>Hardware Drivers.

3 days is a very long time for me to go without freeze, especially when I have been using the computer pretty heavily all that time. I'm about 99% sure the problem is fixed for me.

For anyone coming here who jumped to the last page, if you have an Nvidia graphics card, see post #264 on page 97 of this thread: http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums....478787&page=97

Beans

Guy's I have 10.04 installed on my Mac Pro 5,3 and it's working out fine I have had not a single freeze. I also have not modified the power management settings and use the nvidia display drivers and Broadcom wireless drivers all checks out fine.

I am using Kernel 2-6-32-24 Generic PAE, however I also have an intel atom based machine that does experience the freeze, and an Acer Aspire that also has the same freeze issue.

If I connect the atom via a KVM and run at 1024x768 I do not get the freeze. I am not convinced its the kernel guy's I feel sure it's related to the X setup / server.

Tonight I will be trying to isolate this issue with various setups on the atom and using a xorg.conf to check if I can stop the freeze issue.

The system does not stop dead guy's you can still ssh into the system which is telling me it's the display manager that's throwing a fit.

Again the Mac Pro is very stable and works great so with quite a few different processor / graphics combinations we should be able to see a pattern.

I will post back with a few results, again I am not convinced this is a kernel bug.

Regards
    Mark

Beans

Also Guys, I have loaded the 32 and 64 bit servers onto identical hardware and no issues at all they are not suffering the same issues.

Mark

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello all,

re-posting a summary of my struggles with this bug.

system:

- asus p7h55d motherboard and intel core i7
    - USB mouse & PS/2 keyboard
    - debian squeeze 32bit

problems:

- random freezes can happen any time (computer idle or under workload), and many times a day
    - *only* the PS/2 keyboard freezes (USB mouse never freezes). a wild guess is that using USB mouse & USB keyboard would fix the freezes, but since i want to keep using my old ps2 keyboard it's not a solution for me :)
    - when a freeze occurs, it sometimes happens that the last key that was pressed will keep repeating on shell input.
    - after a freeze, system still works normally, it's therefore possible to ssh to it without problems. besides, even though the keyboard is frozen, "Alt+SysREQ + R-E-I-S-U-B" does work.

system usage:

- freezes happens with Xorg (while doing firefox browsing and using only a light window manager)
    - freezes happens with framebuffer only (even happened when installing debian in console mode interface)

kernels tested:

- 2.6.26 (never had a freeze)
    - 2.6.31 (if i remember correctly, it was working properly with this release)
    - 2.6.32 (freeze)
    - 2.6.33 (freeze)
    - 2.6.34.1 (freeze)
    - 2.6.35.3 (freeze)

options tested that did not work:

- disabling Plug&Play OS in bios
    - tested with KMS enabled or disabled (using normal vesa framebuffer)
    - "i8042.nopnp" "i8042.reset" "i8042.nomux" on grub kernel command line
    - "noacpi" and "noapm" on grub kernel command line
    - "nohz=off" on grub kernel command line
    - "noacpi" and "nolapic" on grub kernel command line
    - "acpi_skip_timer_override" on grub kernel command line
    - combination of all kernel command line options above

remedies that works after a freeze:

- "Alt+SysREQ + R-E-I-S-U-B" to reboot the system safely.
    - "rmmod psmouse ; modprobe psmouse" will unfreeze the keyboard, and system will work normally until next freeze.

debugging:

0) enable i8042 verbose debugging mode in "dmesg" log:
    echo 1 > /sys/module/i8042/parameters/debug

1) after a freeze, you should see in "dmesg":
    [...]drivers/input/serio/i8042.c: interrup 1, without any data

2) and indeed, running:
    watch "cat /proc/interrupts | grep i8042"

shows that interrupt 1 (keyboard) is blocked/frozen and isn't ticking anymore while pressing keyboard keys.

3) but "Alt+SysREQ + R-E-I-S-U-B" still works and "rmmod psmouse ; modprobe psmouse" will kickstart interrupt 1

my wild guess about the problem:

- a motherboard bug that happens only from kernel 2.6.32
    - or a bug introduced in kernel 2.6.32 in the PS/2 linux subsystem
    - or a bug related to interrupt handling

hope this helps.

Beans

Hello,

I'm suffering from the same ps/2 problems as above.

I've got an Asus P7P55D board and an old HP PS/2 keyboard.

From Ubuntu 10.04 and on (Kernel >= 2.6.32 ) I'm having random lockups of the keyboard. At first I was suspecting the old PS/2 keyboard because it is like 10 years old, but plugging it in another PC makes it works fine...

If the keyboard hangs I can plug in an USB keyboard and works fine.

For now on I think my best bet is to get an USB keyboard, and forget about obsolete PS/2 keyboard, but I still like the old keyboard Nevertheless I think this PS/2 problem should be solved.

If there's anything I can do to test if the problem still persists, please let me know.

Greetings,

Bas van den Heuvel

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

my wild guess about the problem:

- a motherboard bug that happens only from kernel 2.6.32
    - or a bug introduced in kernel 2.6.32 in the PS/2 linux subsystem
    - or a bug related to interrupt handling
    I haven't had a PS/2 keyboard or mouse for a couple years so that isn't my problem.

Still trying to resolve my previous idiocy, which has left me completely unable to access my system. When I mess something up, I do it all the way...
    "It's not the age, it's the mileage."

Page 99 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast