Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lucid Freezes Randomly

Beans

Re: Lucid Freezes Randomly

Quote Originally Posted by john newbuntu View Post
    I use the 2.6.32-21-generic kernel and do not have any problems. (Check using "uname -r" in a terminal)
    Here are the links to what is/was a bug leading to Xserver crash:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/565981
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Testing/GEMLeak
    Please search the forums/google for more information.
    I think that is not the problem. The system does not freeze, but just keyboard and mouse. (at least does not seem to be the problem of most the people on this thread)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've had this problem since Intrepid. Disabling legacy USB support didn't fix it. Disabling Compiz solved it in Jaunty, but it's back in Karmic, even with Compiz disabled.

Running x64, fully-patched, on every kernel version since Intrepid. nVIDIA graphics (triple-head setup on 2 GPUs, which is why I have to disable Compiz anyway).

I also have a USB KVM switch--this means my mouse and keyboard plug in through the same USB port. My mouse will occasionally freeze, and when it does, if I switch away from the box and back to it, the light on the optical mouse goes out, but I can still use the keyboard *most* of the time. Occasionally that will freeze too, but then I can use my PS/2 keyboard just fine.

If I try running "lsusb" when the mouse is frozen, it just hangs the terminal I try to run it in.

Useful information from everyone else in this thread: Is your keyboard USB as well, or not?
    Last edited by svtdragon; May 10th, 2010 at 12:03 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by svtdragon View Post
    I've had this problem since Intrepid. Disabling legacy USB support didn't fix it. Disabling Compiz solved it in Jaunty, but it's back in Karmic, even with Compiz disabled.

Running x64, fully-patched, on every kernel version since Intrepid. nVIDIA graphics (triple-head setup on 2 GPUs, which is why I have to disable Compiz anyway).

I also have a USB KVM switch--this means my mouse and keyboard plug in through the same USB port. My mouse will occasionally freeze, and when it does, if I switch away from the box and back to it, the light on the optical mouse goes out, but I can still use the keyboard *most* of the time. Occasionally that will freeze too, but then I can use my PS/2 keyboard just fine.

If I try running "lsusb" when the mouse is frozen, it just hangs the terminal I try to run it in.

Useful information from everyone else in this thread: Is your keyboard USB as well, or not?
    My mouse and my keyboard are ps/2.

Beans

I'm having the same problem with my keyboard/mouse randomly freezing. Stuff like music, movies, clock still continues to run. If I hit the power button I get the pop up dialog with shutdown, restart, suspend, etc. but can't click or navigate on it or anything. Never had this problem in the previous releases on this machine.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit. ps/2 logitech wireless mouse keyboard. Switched it out for a wired one, wouldn't respond.

Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux spacebison 2.6.32-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:28:05 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

Also having problems with random freezes after having just fixed the problem of having lucid not boot up (I did this: echo options i915 modeset=1 | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf
    sudo update-initramfs -u).

It happened when I used either Chrome or Firefox, and at the time I was running www.newgrounds.com/audio which has heavy visualization in the background.

also has problems with ZSNES Emulator when playing Breath of Fire (when I tried to switch back&forth between my strategy guide and the emulator it would freeze up) and I had problems running YouTube videos as it would crash in the middle of them.

I thought it might be a GEM Leak so I went here:

jacob@jacob-laptop:~$ grep "object bytes" /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gem_objects
    61542400 object bytes
    jacob@jacob-laptop:~$

I did this but it didn't update anything:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

glxinfo | grep "GLX version"
    GLX version: 1.2

Beans

Smile Re: Lucid Freezes Randomly

no longer participating in ubuntuforums.org
    Last edited by MarkieB; April 16th, 2012 at 01:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Remember Lucid Is still new and they are still ironing out bugs
    Good Luck
    SEX, Now that I have your attention please read my post
    Linux For Life
    Just for future purposes "You're Welcome"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prayersfor.rain View Post
    I'm having the exact same problems. Doesn't matter what program I'm using, my usb mouse just randomly freezes and never comes back. I can still control the computer via keyboard, the prgrams still work (movies still run if they were on), but the mouse is just frozen. Sometimes it takes only a minute, sometimes I can use the computer for an hour.
    Anyway, I hope this gets figured out soon. I'm back to using 9.10 because my mouse works on that.
    Same Here
    Linux For Life

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've got an ATI
    And I am getting freeze up's too
    Supposedly it is the ATI drivers
    Linux For Life

Beans

hi guys,

i had Xubuntu 9.04 installed and working just fine, that was a few months back. Recently I added on Lucy (Lucid). I have a few problems described above, like the black screen, purple vertical lines and a static square. I was tracking my cpu and mem consumption. Once i started things like Firefox, update manager or rhythmbox, then ram mem jumped beyond 70% (of 512Mb - old comp) and off we go.
    I reinstalled OS many times, the best I could get out of it was with a ReiserFS partition ~ 15 mins of uptime. so it is either power management or memory allocation problem, in my view. I am not an expert but I noted a few things like that, if it helps. I am re-installing it right now, as soon as I restart it and crash it, then I'll have a look at the logs.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast