Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucid Freezes Randomly

Beans

Re: Lucid Freezes Randomly

Quote Originally Posted by mitoe View Post
    Mouse and keyboard completely freeze and I am forced to hard-boot. I can't change state of NumLock or CapsLock, and there is no indication of kernel panic (no ScrollLock blinking). I have not yet tried ssh-ing in, but I have a feeling it won't respond.
    My Dell Inspiron 1501 with Radeon graphics behaves the same BUT (despite NumLock etc not working) I can use the SysReq keys - Alt-SysReq-REISUB (i.e. holding Alt and SysReq and pressing R, E, I etc) performs a relatively clean shutdown, which is preferable to a hard reboot. Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc is not giving me a console.

This indicates that X is locked, but some lower level processes are still running. I have set up SSH and guess it will be functioning, but have not had a freeze to try it with yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I also have this problem on an Acer Travelmate 4001WLMI. At first i thought it was in combination with Firefox usage, but now i also had it while using other applications, while using the Compiz desktop cube etc.
    When it crashes i first see my mouse stopping to respond and my music hangs (it starts to sound like Hardcore/Jump/whatever ), then my display turns black. Ctrl+alt+F2 doesn't give my a console. I did try to ping my frozen laptop from another pc but that didn't seem to work.

I now disabled Compiz to see if that helps...

Around 6 months ago i had similar problems after upgrading to Karmic, but these problems disappeared, but i know now what made the problems go away. But they are definitely back now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I do not have this problem. But I did read a few threads about an Xorg memory leak that lead to an eventual freeze. Please search the forums or Google for that. It had something to do with the version of GLX that is being used. I believe
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep "GLX version"
    should not be 1.4 since that is the buggy version. It also suggested running this command:
    Code:
    grep "object bytes" /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gem_objects
    to see if the numbers are increasing as you open and close applications that involve graphics/flash/multimedia etc. Typically, this number should decrease after you are done with your app. But if you still find it increasing, you are bitten by this bug.
    Also check your .xsession-errors file in your home directory for errors. For those of you who have not run updates, please run it and use the latest kernel and see if it resolves it.

Beans

This is sooooo disappointing for ubuntu!!!!

I had quite a few lockups starting in 9.10 but was surviving until 10.04 where I was *hoping* it would be fixed with a new kernel, nope...

Hard locked quite often now with no response from numlock or caps lock.

No sure what sysreq key everyone is talking about, my keyboard doesn't have one....

No ssh, it's dead like the rest of the OS.

Logs are as blank as the look on my face every morning when I can't log in remotely because it's dead.

Compiz has never touched this install.

Right at this very moment I am away from home and my once reliable server is dead to the world just spinning it's fans again.....

i7-920
    Nvidia 9800GT
    x64 10.04 LTS

Anyone? Looks like it's been a big problem even back in November (check x64 threads) with 9.10 which tells me it isn't going to be fixed any time soon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madhusker View Post
    No sure what sysreq key everyone is talking about, my keyboard doesn't have one....
    SysReq might be on the same key as PrintScreen. Pressing Alt-SysReq and R,E,I,S,U and B should reboot more cleanly than power-cycling.

Here are some Launchpad bugs and forum threads about freezing / locking without memory leakage http://www.iol.ie/~stuartneilson/Bootup_fsck.html. One may match your own symptoms better than others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by john newbuntu View Post
    I do not have this problem. But I did read a few threads about an Xorg memory leak that lead to an eventual freeze. Please search the forums or Google for that. It had something to do with the version of GLX that is being used. I believe
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep "GLX version"
    should not be 1.4 since that is the buggy version.
    Ok, so i have this 1.4 version. Any suggestions on how/where to get a newer, none-buggy version?
    I have currently disabled compiz (and use metacity instead). My laptop has been running for the alst 12 hours without any problems, so far... (but i'd like to be able to use Compiz again )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by StuartN View Post
    SysReq might be on the same key as PrintScreen. Pressing Alt-SysReq and R,E,I,S,U and B should reboot more cleanly than power-cycling.

Here are some Launchpad bugs and forum threads about freezing / locking without memory leakage http://www.iol.ie/~stuartneilson/Bootup_fsck.html. One may match your own symptoms better than others.

Pressing Alt-SysReq and R,E,I,S,U and B should reboot more cleanly than power-cycling.

I get a hard lock-up - no response from keyboard, so I have to hit reset key.

Beans

I'm am experiencing the same problem with lucid as most users above, had to tab 30 times to get to this field to type it up:
    The system runs fine for a while, then I leave, come back and the interface is completely unresponsive to the (usb) mouse, while mostly responsive to the keyboard. Alt-Tab doesn't always work (Switching windows).

Running a custom built pc with a Gigabyte mobo, Core2 Duo, nVidia video card.
    I also used to experience this with Karmic.

Just checked my "GLX version", it's 1.4. I monitor X with htop often and the MEM percentage reported for X is always low enough ~3%, so I don't see how memory leaks alone could be causing problems. I have been running a lot of graphics apps though. Compiz disabled.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting a version of X free of this bug? Other things to try?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Zburatorul; May 8th, 2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: More information

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I use the 2.6.32-21-generic kernel and do not have any problems. (Check using "uname -r" in a terminal)
    Here are the links to what is/was a bug leading to Xserver crash:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/565981
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Testing/GEMLeak
    Please search the forums/google for more information.

Beans

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast