Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucid Freezes Randomly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Lucid Freezes Randomly

Hey all -

So I had a very cooperative installation of 9.10 on my computer. Today I upgraded to Lucid.

The first thing that I noticed is that the graphics on the login screen are all screwy. I have lines that appear through the screen and I can't see the login button, nor the textbox where I type in my password.
    However, I can still login by using only the keyboard.

Once logging in, I get to my desktop and everything seems normal. However, after some time, Lucid decides to randomly freeze. First my mouse and keyboard become unresponsive. Then, my screen turns black and I have to do a hard shutdown. This happens randomly (twice while I was running update-grub, once when I clicked on the 'ubuntu one' tab on the upper right corner, once when I was clicking to get onto the internet, and once when I clicked the menu to go change my window appearance)

Has anyone been having these problems or know of a way that I can fix this. For now, I am crippled in linux and am being forced to use only my Windows partition.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Archimedes
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it ~ Alan Kay

Beans

Re: Lucid Freezes Randomly

Yes - I had random freezes with my install as well. I need a little bit more info to see if your situation is the same as mine: when your computer freezes, does your caps/scroll lock light blink repeatedly? This is a sign of a kernel panic, which happened to me at seemingly random times.

Regardless, I recommend looking at your system logs via System -> Administration -> View Logs. Check syslog for any errors or panics at the time of the freeze.

When this happened to me, I got no errors or panic messages. If this is the case for you, let me know and I can recommend the steps I took to work around the problem.

Also, it's probably best if you post your system specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have lockups to in both ubuntu and kubuntu 10.04 (64 bit). I'm running a i7 asus p7p55d pro mb with a nvidia video card, 4 gb ram. I've had lots of trouble with 10.04 and won't change over to 10.04 for now (or maybe never - since i hate some changes). Better wait for awhile before making this your main os. seems to have real stability issues for some. my main os 9.10 is still pretty solid - some issues with some apps, but no show stoppers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: Lucid Freezes Randomly

No, my scroll lock or any other keys don't flash when it crashes.

I checked my syslog file and there are no errors or anything of that sort. Would you be able to tell me what steps you took to fix your problem?
    The latest lockup occurred when I clicked on my name in the upper right corner. My mouse and keyboard locked up and I am currently staring at a screen of alternating purple and black vertical lines.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it ~ Alan Kay

Beans

Having the same issue on a Dell Vostro. I have yet to get the machine in my hands to check the logs.

In the meantime, the user has reluctantly set the special effects to none. Its frozen three times with different applications loaded at various intervals, so no definite pattern is yet determined. The only consistent scenario is that the the mouse interface cannot select anything thing, yet the keyboard can be used to move about an open window and the power button can be used to open the shutdown dialog.

We'll see if this will stave off the "gremlins" until i get the system back in about 5 hours.

No other graphics related issue except for some VERY small "sketchy lines" that appear on a regular basis as windows are being drug around and the effects are set to their highest and the compiz settings manager has been managed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by qabulin View Post
    In the meantime, the user has reluctantly set the special effects to none. Its frozen three times with different applications loaded at various intervals, so no definite pattern is yet determined. The only consistent scenario is that the the mouse interface cannot select anything thing, yet the keyboard can be used to move about an open window and the power button can be used to open the shutdown dialog.
    I'm having the exact same problems. Doesn't matter what program I'm using, my usb mouse just randomly freezes and never comes back. I can still control the computer via keyboard, the prgrams still work (movies still run if they were on), but the mouse is just frozen. Sometimes it takes only a minute, sometimes I can use the computer for an hour.
    Anyway, I hope this gets figured out soon. I'm back to using 9.10 because my mouse works on that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prayersfor.rain View Post
    I'm having the exact same problems. Doesn't matter what program I'm using, my usb mouse just randomly freezes and never comes back. I can still control the computer via keyboard, the prgrams still work (movies still run if they were on), but the mouse is just frozen. Sometimes it takes only a minute, sometimes I can use the computer for an hour.
    Anyway, I hope this gets figured out soon. I'm back to using 9.10 because my mouse works on that.
    I'm having the same problem in lucid (64 bit) I'm sure it'll be fixed soon....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Same problem here. I'm having it since karmic. It happens any time, switching windows, using firefox, on pidgin, any where... and, honestly, I don't think this is a compiz bug, since I cannot even get a tty. The whole system suddenly freezes, leaving hard reboot as the only possible option.
    Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaaaay!!!.

Beans

I'm having a slightly similar issue. My display freezes, but I can still ssh into the computer.

I posted about my issue here.

Seems like I'm not alone, but haven't found any sort of fix yet.

Beans

I can report similar problems with my Dell Dimension 2400 (with added Geforce 8300 pci and prism54pci wireless). 9.10 worked great for me, but lucid is doing this consistently after 3 fresh installs.

The crashes are completely random, anywhere from 2 minutes to 10 hours. Mouse and keyboard completely freeze and I am forced to hard-boot. I can't change state of NumLock or CapsLock, and there is no indication of kernel panic (no ScrollLock blinking). I have not yet tried ssh-ing in, but I have a feeling it won't respond.

These crashes happen with both versions of the nvidia driver as well as the nouveau driver, and turning off compiz has no effect.

Any assistance would be great... Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the logs say nothing out of the normal before the crash.
    Last edited by mitoe; May 7th, 2010 at 08:33 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast