Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB optical mouse remains lit after shutdown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question USB optical mouse remains lit after shutdown

I've been using Linux live CDs (I've tried dozens) for 4+ years, but this is the first time I've actually installed Linux on my home PC. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 (32 bit) and dual booting with WinXP.

My Logitech M-UR69 optical USB mouse stays on (the red light is on) after the system shuts down through Ubuntu. I've noticed the same thing with all other live Linux CDs I've used with this system. The problem does NOT occur when I shut the system down from WinXP, DOS, or BIOS setup. The motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe with the latest BIOS revision, and both the mouse and the motherboard are 5+ years old.

Any ideas on what could cause this? I've read several similar threads, but haven't found a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: USB optical mouse remains lit after shutdown

Are you sure that it is totally shutting down (power light off), or is it possibly going into suspend (power light blinking?).

It is possible that something related to acpi or apic is allowing your system to appear to shutdown, but not completely. For an old PIII 550 I had a similar issue where the computer appeared to shutdown, disk spun down, but power supply remained on, although, it was using a PS/2 mouse, so I did not notice if USB still had power. I had to use lapic as additional kernel command line parameter for it to shut down completely.

If a fresh install (or if 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade was updated to grub2) kernel parameters would be set in /etc/default/grub (the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line for regular boot and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX for recovery boot). Then sudo update-grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, efflandt. So, are you saying I should modify /etc/default/grub to read: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=lapic ?
    And yes, it is a fresh install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Check the BIOS. Sometimes there is a switch: "Allow USB devices to wake". This keeps power to the USB bus--such as a keyboard or mouse, to allow wake from suspend.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As far as I can tell, the system is shutting down completely. The only light that stays on is the mouse.

I checked the BIOS. There isn't an option to wake on USB device, only PS/2. The only thing related to the USB besides the controller (it's enabled) is "USB Legacy Mouse Support" - [Enabled].

I noticed another strange thing that may be related. I set the Power Management Preferences to put the PC in sleep mode after 1 hr. It does - the computer appears to be off except the blinking system status LED. Even the mouse turns off in this mode! When I turn the system back on, I get a black screen and and the keyboard and mouse light up. But I get no response by pushing keyboard and mouse buttons (when I press Caps Lock, the corresponding LED on the keyboard doesn't light up). I have to resort to a hard kill.

Could this be a BIOS setting? If so, why doesn't the system exhibit the same problems when running WinXP?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Let's try and revive this...

I upgraded to 10.04 hoping that perhaps this bug had been addressed - it hasn't. Any thoughts?

Beans

I got the same problem on an asus mobo but also the #lock light stays on on the usb keyboard ive went through my bios and cant find any thing at all. now if i unplug the mouse and keyboard and plug it back in, after it is shutdown, the lights dont turn back on. winxp had the same problem with this system the same thing happened.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: USB optical mouse remains lit after shutdown

Cokekid, you say your system exhibits the same behavior when ******* shuts down? Strange - as I mentioned above, that's not true of mine. It's definitely a Linux-only problem; it happens with Knoppix, Fedora, and all flavors of Ubuntu, but not WinXP.

Can any Linux gurus out there shed a little light?

Beans

Try this way to solve this problem:
    Go to BIOS -> Power Management Setup ->S3 KB Wake-Up Function(Or Meaning similar options), Select "Disable".
    Hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Unplug your mouse. <__<

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast