Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound in both speakers and headphones on HP Pavilion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sound in both speakers and headphones on HP Pavilion.

Hello.

I have an HP Pavilion Desktop computer with integrated speakers in the screen.

When I do not have any headphones plugged in my headphone jack, sound is coming out of the speakers.

When I plug headphones in my headphone jack, sound is coming out of both the speakers and the headphones.

I would like for sound to come only from the headphones when they are plugged in.

Does anyone have had any success dealing with this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Sound in both speakers and headphones on HP Pavilion.

What version of ubuntu are you using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Oops, I should have mentioned that.
    Karmic Koala.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hy
    I'm having a similar problem.
    I installed Ubuntu 9.10 KK on my Pavilion dv7 2150ez. All fine but for sound. After browsing a little, I read somewhere something about updating my BIOS which I did and that solved my problem only to find that plugging my headphone does not turn off the speakers.

Any solution to that? I'm reading a lot of stuff about Karmic Koala having sound issues; having to manually upgrade to the next ALSA version or uninstalling PulseAudio. What's the final word on all this?

As a secondary issue, I have noticed that I dont have any sound whatsoever (speakers, headphone) when switching to a different user? Anybody experienced that too and solved it?

I have also noticed that my movies play at twice the speed they should when using movie player in that second account but are fine (other than sound) with VLC. Dont think there is a link but I'd rather mention it just in case...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok I'm done, I finally have my sound working on my HP pavilion dv7 2150ez with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala; Both speakers are working and they switch off when I plug my headphones.

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

So for the record here is what I did:

I updated my BIOS; that did not do the trick

I updated my alsa to version 1.0.21; that did not do the trick

I edited my alsa-base.conf and added the enable_msi=1 option: that did not do the trick

So I finally installed the alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz as described here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...20dvx%20laptop

and edited the alsa-base.conf file and added
    options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv5

(and not options=hp_dv5 as I read in a few threads)

and that did it.

The bottom line is; when everything else fails, read the doc!

It was right there under my eyes but read the section about dv7 ignoring the one about dvxx. When I tried the section about dvxx (dv7 is, afterall, a dvxx), everything fitted.

Next step: getting HDMI working...

Beans

While this works (I've tried both the alsa-driver snapshot and the alsa-driver-1.0.22.1) what you lose is your microphone! With this fix the input is dead. If you right click on the speaker icon and select Sound Preferences then over to the Input tab you'll see your input is all grayed out.

Also, adding enable_msi=1 doesn't seem to do anything for me. setting model=hp-dv5 appears to be key. I wonder what hp-dv7 will do... Well that doesn't work... Back to hp-dv5.

Argh! I can't seem to get my mic working again. Perhaps it stopped working when I went from the default alsa with 9.10 -> 1.0.22.1. The default alsa driver worked like crap in that the sound was horrible - it seems like all the audio was coming from the sub woofer. With 1.0.22.1 the sound was much improved but still only stereo (where's the 5.1?). But I think the mic input broke with that new driver.

Either 1.0.22.1 or the snapshot driver works IFF you set model=hp-dv5 (other values such as hp-dv7 don't work).

Given the state of things I think I'll stick with 1.0.22.1 and hp-dv5. Still I'd like to get all the functions of the sound card, which I did pay for BTW, working. Is that asking for too much? Argh!

Update: Another problem is that my Bluetooth headset doesn't work!!!
    Last edited by defaria; February 2nd, 2010 at 05:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

hmmmm... i have the same problem on my hp dv7 3080us
    but i already have alsa 1.0.21 and have added
    "options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv5"
    to alsa-base.conf and still have the same issue..

in fact, here's my alsa-base file
    Code:
    # autoloader aliases
    install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
    install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
    install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
    install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
    install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
    install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
    install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
    install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
    install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
    #
    # Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
    install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
    install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
    install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
    #
    install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
    # Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
    install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
    install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
    install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
    # Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
    options bt87x index=-2
    options cx88_alsa index=-2
    options saa7134-alsa index=-2
    options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
    options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
    options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
    options snd-usb-audio index=-2
    options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
    options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
    options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
    # Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
    options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
    # Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
    options snd-pcsp index=-2
    options snd-intel8x0 ac97_quirk=1 buggy_irq=1 enable=1 index=0
    options snd-hda-intel model=3stack enable=yes
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto position_fix=1 enable=yes
    options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
    options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv5
    # Power down HDA controllers after 10 idle seconds
    options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
    i wonder why it works for willix's dv7 but not on mine

Beans

My guess? Those multiple option lines are messing you up. I have only one options line that has a model on it. You have multiple.

Question: (Assuming your using pulseaudio) if you run pavucontrol and go to the Output Devices tab I see "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" with only a left and right control. I thought this was a 5.1 card. Where is Front Center, etc? Sleepee, what do you see here?

Click on Input Devices tab - I see no "input devices available". Also right clicking on the speaker icon and selecting Sound Preferences then Input tab shows Input Volume grayed out. This means your mic doesn't work and you cannot use things like Skype. Not good! Sleepee what do you see here?

Also, I have a Bluetooth headset (Sony Ericson HBH-D980). I cannot connect the bluetooth headset for audio or phone operation. Sleepee, do you have any Bluetooth stereo headsets? I find them invaluable - especially on my bus commute to work. Right now I am booting to Windows 7 to watch videos or recorded TV on the bus because at least Windows 7 can hook up with my Bluetooth headset.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by defaria View Post
    My guess? Those multiple option lines are messing you up. I have only one options line that has a model on it. You have multiple.

Question: (Assuming your using pulseaudio) if you run pavucontrol and go to the Output Devices tab I see "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" with only a left and right control. I thought this was a 5.1 card. Where is Front Center, etc? Sleepee, what do you see here?

Click on Input Devices tab - I see no "input devices available". Also right clicking on the speaker icon and selecting Sound Preferences then Input tab shows Input Volume grayed out. This means your mic doesn't work and you cannot use things like Skype. Not good! Sleepee what do you see here?

Also, I have a Bluetooth headset (Sony Ericson HBH-D980). I cannot connect the bluetooth headset for audio or phone operation. Sleepee, do you have any Bluetooth stereo headsets? I find them invaluable - especially on my bus commute to work. Right now I am booting to Windows 7 to watch videos or recorded TV on the bus because at least Windows 7 can hook up with my Bluetooth headset.
    the thing is, i put all those options in because i had another sound problem with my dv7 before..
    i had no sound at all from my speakers... i only had sound from my subwoofer, but upgrading alsa and putting those options fixed it.. well, except for this jack sensing problem..

anyway, i put some pics of my pulseaudio volume control and sound preferences so you can see them...
    they seem to be working fine for me.. but i don't think i have 5.1 sound though...
    i do wish i had bluetooth headphones... that sounds pretty cool

Beans

Did you try reverting back to the standard config and just modifying it by adding model=dv5? Sorry my config file is not handy at the moment. Let me know if you want to see it.

From what I can see your mic should work because it's controls are not greyed out. Mine's broken.

Finally, I would have thought that this card with a subwoofer and a "multimedia/entertainment laptop" would be at least 5.1! On my desktop I know I have a 5.1 sound card because the Pulse Audio Volume Control let's me control all 5 channels.

The bluetooth headset that I have it great. I use it all the time as I'm usually listening to podcasts. They sit like a necklace of sorts and you can plug in the two comfortable earbuds and listen to music or podcasts. They sound quite good and I can wear them all day without fatigue. They also handle incoming calls just fine. Finally they are a great place to hang your card access card for work! They do go for about $100 and last 4-6 months before getting ratty.

What I want to use them for is as audio for my laptop so I can watch a video or listen to a podcast on my laptop as I ride the bus instead of having to lug and wear large, bulky, wired head phones. I know this works - it works in Windows 7 for me - just not in Ubuntu - yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast