Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hulu (Express Install is not supported)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hulu (Express Install is not supported)

Hulu stopped working tonight. Youtube still works, so the flash plugin shouldn't be the problem.

I get this message when I start a Hulu video:

"Express Install is not supported on this operating system. To upgrade, please visit: Flash player download center."

According to Firefox, I still have Shockwave 10.0 d21 installed. I was able to watch video on Hulu as recently as last night.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Hulu (Express Install is not supported)

Same problem here.

There was another post about Facebook Flash games not working (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...flash+facebook). I installed my restricted extras, but I'm still having the problem.

I went to freedancer's site (in the facebook thread) and uninstalled Flash, but re-installing it didn't work for me. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do...
    Last edited by TracyO; January 6th, 2010 at 05:44 AM. Reason: clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I think I got Flash 10 installed (http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...player-10.html), but Hulu's still not working (while other sites do).

Also, the Hulu message shows Flash Download Center as a link, but I cannot click on it. Hopefully it's the site, and it'll be back up soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had the same problem. Apparently, the issue is that Hulu now needs flash 10. I installed it from the debian package provided by adobe, but firefox (and chrome) still showed shockwave flash version 9 something.

It turns out I had flash installed semi-manually long time ago and when you install new version via deb-package it does not supersede what is in $HOME/.mozilla/plugins. What worked for me eventually was manually wiping out the libflashplayer.so from that folder.

HTH.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am using hardy and, not paying a lot of attention installed flash 10 from the adobe site. Of course, it did not work, still showing flash9 in firefox.

To fix it all I had to do was move the usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so to usr/lib/flashplayer-nonfree/. Now I have flash10.0r42 that works with Hulu.

Oops, update manager has a new flash 10 for me...lets see whats up with that...stand by.

Ok, still the same 10.0r42 but there is now a flashplayer.so in usr/lb/adobe-flashplugin that was not there before because I moved it. Hmmmmm,

It seems the adobe .deb installer, and Update Mangler are putting the new flash in the wrong place.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans

Just chiming in to say that markbuntu's procedure was the one that helped me.

Just noticed earlier this evening that Hulu stopped working recently (hadn't been using it much, so can't say exactly when). I went to the adobe site to download the .deb, as I am still on 8.04. Install via dpkg, restart firefox, still didn't work.

Removed files from ~/.mozilla/plugins, still didn't work.

Copied the file into "flashplayer-nonfree", and that did the trick. Oh yeah, I also restarted firefox after basically every operation.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    I am using hardy and, not paying a lot of attention installed flash 10 from the adobe site. Of course, it did not work, still showing flash9 in firefox.

To fix it all I had to do was move the usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so to usr/lib/flashplayer-nonfree/. Now I have flash10.0r42 that works with Hulu.

Oops, update manager has a new flash 10 for me...lets see whats up with that...stand by.

Ok, still the same 10.0r42 but there is now a flashplayer.so in usr/lb/adobe-flashplugin that was not there before because I moved it. Hmmmmm,

It seems the adobe .deb installer, and Update Mangler are putting the new flash in the wrong place.
    Last edited by rkent; January 7th, 2010 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Being more precise re "file" vs "files"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I got it working by using this script. I saved it as a text file, then used chmod 755 to make it executable.

Thanks to all who replied and to the authors of this script (noted in the first few lines) who made the fix as easy as a quick as copy/paste, and a few mouse clicks. =D>

#!/bin/bash
    # Script created by
    # Romeo-Adrian Cioaba romeo.cioaba@spotonearth.com
    # Super minor updates by jason.melton[at]gmail[dot]com
    # Updates by Alejandro Cuervo 3[at]cuervo[dot]net
    # Released under GPL

echo "Closing Firefox"
    sudo killall -9 firefox

echo "Downloading and instaling Getlibs for required libraries"
    wget http://www.boundlesssupremacy.com/Ca...etlibs-all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i getlibs-all.deb

echo "Removing previous installs of flash:"
    sudo apt-get remove -y --purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla libflashsupport nspluginwrapper
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f ~/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper

echo "Installing ia32-libs and nspluginwrapper"
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs nspluginwrapper

echo "Getting libs"
    sudo getlibs -p libcurl3
    sudo getlibs -p libnss3-1d
    sudo getlibs -p libnspr4-0d

echo "Installing Flash Player 10"
    cd ~
    wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...0_linux.tar.gz
    tar zxvf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
    sudo cp install_flash_player_10_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    rm -rf ~/install_flash_player_10_linux/
    sudo nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

echo "Linking the libraries so that firefox can see them."
    sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/

echo "Done "
    echo "You may re-start Firefox now"

Beans

Just reiterating, this is what worked on both my Gutsy and Hardy machines:

Go to /usr/lib/ Here I found a folder named 'flashplugin-nonfree'. If you have it too, this might work for you too. Rename the libflashplayer.so in there to something like 'libflashplayer_old.so'. Now go to adobe.com and find the flash player tar.gz. It should have a new libflashplayer.so file in it. Just put it in the /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree folder, restart firefox, and you're good to go!

If you don't know how to do any of the steps I mentioned, please don't hesitate to ask

Beans

Note that if the above steps do not work for you, you may have an older Flash player installed that is taking precedence over verson 10 and preventing Hulu from working. Go to Edit->Preferences->Main->Manage Add-ons->Plugins. If you see more than one Shockwave Flash entry, you are having this problem. I somehow had v9 installed in my user account, which was overriding the v10 I installed similarly to the directions above. Disable the older version, restart Firefox, and you should be good to go. These steps and those above fixed the problem for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast