Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Why do you dislike Microsoft Windows OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Why do you dislike Microsoft Windows OS?

I don't know i really like windows,but my system crashed month ago,so i switched to ubuntu,i will come back to windows,but now when i think about viruses,and all those crashes it isn't easy to get back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by LOLbuntu View Post
    I know spending hours trying to fix Ubuntu with thousands of config files is more efficient than popping a cd and pressing repair or basic knowledge of hexadecimal code and common sense.
    I've spent way more time fixing and reinstalling windows than I have with ubuntu. <snip>
    Last edited by cariboo; February 17th, 2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: No intersite wars please.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by humphreybc View Post
    I dislike the stupidity and ignorance of most Windows users. In fact, I hate fanboys of any product - Playstation vs Xbox, Windows, Apple... Mac fanboys are the worst of them all.
    Definitely the best part of Ubuntu: The fact that there are no fanboys.
    8-inch floppy disks must've been huge!

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    I've spent way more time fixing and reinstalling windows than I have with ubuntu. <snip>
    Uh-huh, and? Just because you haven't doesn't mean that others haven't.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tikkyca View Post
    I don't know i really like windows,but my system crashed month ago,so i switched to ubuntu,i will come back to windows,but now when i think about viruses,and all those crashes it isn't easy to get back.
    And amongst the dross - some sanity!

This is what it all boils down to, use what works.

If people are using Ubuntu (or any other OS) because of some kind of dislike of Windows / Microsoft / Bill Gates / whatever then they are using it for all of the wrong reasons.

IMHO (and I know others will disagree) even using it "because its free" is the wrong reason, although a slightly better one than "because I hate M$".

I think this is where so many of the issues with Linux (should Linux have a capital L?) / free software in general start, people are using something that is not the best tool for the purpose for reasons that are important to them (rightly or wrongly) and are then surprised when they can't do stuff that they were able to do before.
    Go out, do stuff

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Using Linux because it is Free is very good reason. Using it because it free is bad reason.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Simon17 View Post
    Definitely the best part of Ubuntu: The fact that there are no fanboys.
    There are no fanboys in Ubuntu? Hmmm that's news to me.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    There are no fanboys in Ubuntu? Hmmm that's news to me.
    He's being sarcarstic, I hope...

Beans
    Hidden!

Should probably mention that MS doesn't lock-down pirated computers (at least not completely) your wallpaper may go blank and MS will block app upgrades from its center, and will constantly remind you to purchase a legit version. They still provide security updates as they don't want your system to become a virus hub. But a complete lockdown, nope they after all want to make sure you have a way to order a legit version of their OS.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the biggest reason I'm not a fan of Microsoft Windows 7 is the simple fact that it "feels VERY slow" compared to my Ubuntu on the same machine. (Dual booting)

I'll admit that Win7 Ultimate RC was not designed for my Atom 330 ION so it's not a good example but in general windows OS always feels a lot slower to me after using Ubuntu.

To be fair I Love Win7 with XMBC (i don't need to look at the Windows Desktop is a huge bonus! lol!) and I can play my 720p Movies perfectly (as well as most 1080p ones!)

I'm just trying to get Ubuntu to do the same for when I pick up a Blu-ray drive! ^_^
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast