Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wlan problems with Ralink rt3090 (Eee PC 1001HA)

Beans

wlan problems with Ralink rt3090 (Eee PC 1001HA)

Hello everybody

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a netbook with Ralink Wlan device. (rt3090)
    Out of the box the device was not recognized.
    I searched a bit and found this package for ubuntu:
    https://launchpad.net/~markus-tisoft/+archive/rt3090
    I installed it, made a reboot and the device is recognized!
    So i can search for hotspots with iwlist...scan and so on.
    But the problem: I can´t connect to my router (WPA2).
    The network manager ask me for the key when choosing my routers SSID
    and trys to connect for about 2 minutes. Then there´s coming a message like "No connection you are offline now".

Is there a problem with wpa and the driver?
    Please can somebody helb me?

(console information I can give you in the evening...i´m working now...)

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: wlan problems with Ralink rt3090 (Eee PC 1001HA)

This is the right topic for you: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=1001ha everything is discussed there, and the solution is provided (namely, applying kernel patch...) well, you'll read

Beans

i was pretty excited to find this thread, until i realized it would take me hours to figure out how to download this package. i will spare you the details, most of you know the deal. i love the idea of ubuntu and the ubuntu community, but there is a long way to go if they ever want to make this a feasible option for today's average computer person. when i first heard of ubuntu a year and a half ago i was very excited about it and mentioned it to my dad. he was apparently also excited and tried to do something with it which according to my sister who is a windows network engineer was a total disaster. no surprise there! after the experience i have now gained i would never even consider having my dad have a go at it. he was an engineer and is not dumb, but he is now 74 years old and would not have a chance at all at dealing with the frustration and trying to comprehend the lingo presented in the posts that are supposed to help the new user. afters hours... days (maybe weeks) i got my old laptop going satisfactorily last year with 8.10 and was pretty happy. a year later, even with the first experience, i am killing myself just trying to get a wlan connection for my new netbook. i appreciate that the nature of linux OSs require the user be more proactive, but without documentation that makes sense and the average person can work thru, windows is going to have the 90%+ of the OS market for a LONG time to come.

i am not posting a direct question because i do not want to wait for an answer. i will google and scream till i finally figure it out, but it will feel like always... a fight against the very people that are trying to help me. if this post is against all of the forum rules, i must be honest and admit i did not thoroughly read them as i must spend my time elsewhere.

Beans

ok, it was good to release that pressure. i still feel what i wrote is valid, but a half hour after i wrote it i was wireless surfing. that i did not expect. perhaps i am getting better. reading another post, it was revealed to me that to download the package you must double click on the deb file. this i had seen when playing on the page. so to be exact.

1 click on link in first post above
    2 on this page click on 'view package details' in a little blue font
    3 click on the appropriate software package for your ubuntu version i.e. jaunty or karmic
    4 in the expanded content list that appears you will see a deb file. double click on it.
    you should have a package installer window open up. click OK.

the rest is self explanatory even for me. do not forget to restart the computer to implement the package.

i am using wifi radar to manage my wireless. i don't know if this is a must, but if you can't get wlan to work you may want to give it a try.

SYSTEM>ADMINISTRATION>SYNAPTIC PACKAGE MANAGER>SEARCH - wifi

you will also have to set your security settings in wifi-radar and/or network connections so that they match with your router.

this works for me, but i am only using WEP security. basislinie in the first post apparently was having trouble with WPA2. and lastly i would like to say that my last post was not directed at basislinie as he/she was only posting a question and not offering answers, but we all must realize that what we have figured out may be a big help to somebody else and save them a lot of frustration... so please try to dumb it down a little for those of us who need it.

thanks and good luck.

Beans

yeah, i wrote too soon. i now know my netbook can surf wireless with ubuntu because i was doing it for few hours. i forgot, however, that with ubuntu you better test it for a while before you assume any issue is solved. the next time i turned it on, my wireless card was not enabled and on top of that my lan connection was no longer recognized. it occured to me suddenly that on the Eee PC 1001ha there is a wlan switch in the keyboard combo Fn-F2 ( i have done a lot of surfing in windows and never had to mess with this switch ). unfortunately when i tried it, although my card was recognized and wifi-radar could see wireless networks, i couldn't connect to them. if anyone has suggestions, i welcome them.
    Last edited by dave789; January 2nd, 2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

i am learning to supress excitement with ubuntu, but i a now seem to have both LAN and wireless and i have shut down and powered up twice and they were still there. what did i do? bye bye wifi radar, hello wicd. i did it all in synaptic package manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by dave789 View Post
    i am learning to supress excitement with ubuntu, but i a now seem to have both LAN and wireless and i have shut down and powered up twice and they were still there. what did i do? bye bye wifi radar, hello wicd. i did it all in synaptic package manager.
    Thanks for the short summary list in post #4, and thanks to everyone who led you on the way! It worked just fine for me, I was up and running wlan in five minutes. I was confused by earlier forum posts about recompiling the kernel, but I suppose those solutions are obsolete in this particular case now that the driver is available from Markus Heberling's PPA.

I bought my Eee 1001HA last week at a really good price (SEK 2500) and UNR 9.10 seems to work wonderfully with it. Everything except wifi seems to work out of the box. It is (this far) a great step forward compared to my earlier Eee 900. I have got that one to work fine with Eeebuntu 3 LXDE beta, though. Gnome made it too sluggish.

Mårten
    Last edited by mb36; January 11th, 2010 at 08:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

dave789, thanks for your posts. As another newbie linux user, I can relate to your frustrations. I just keep telling myself "think of how much I'm learning!" although so far, that hasn't got my Ralink rt3090 card working on a MSI U210 with UNR.
    I've received some feedback on other threads that I'm about to try... crossing my fingers...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by mb36 View Post
    I suppose those solutions are obsolete in this particular case now that the driver is available from Markus Heberling's PPA.
    Yes the ppa of Markus is fast and stable on WPA (TKIP+AES) however, it does not work for me on WPA (AES/CCMP).

To install it, add this package repository:
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/markus-tisoft/rt3090/ubuntu karmic main
    Then type on a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install rt3090-dkms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have updated to Lucid Lynx and need to get the rt3090 working on my eeepc 1001ha

I'm very annoyed that all the PPA's on launchpad don't work in Lucid, why do they only work in karmic?

Where can I get a driver for Lucid

Why in the world isnt the driver just built in by now, this is the most common netbook and Ubuntu does not work with wireless for it means lots of bad press
    www.OSGUI.com
    The name has a double meaning: the OS stands for both ‘Operating Systems’ and ‘Open Source’, and the GUI stands for ‘Graphical User Interface’.
    http://www.osgui.com/content/linux/ubuntu.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast