Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ext4 is starting to scare me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation ext4 is starting to scare me

i just made the mistake of reading this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ka...ux/+bug/453579

does this effect me at all? cause if it does i have a stupid reinstall to do... why the heck did they put ext4 as default filesystem if it has bugs like this?????

i will freak if my files get ruined....

and on a side note, once a fix gets released for this bug, will it just be a simple upgrade via apt-get or will it be a whole reinstall anyway?
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ext4 is starting to scare me

Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_kid View Post
    i just made the mistake of reading this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ka...ux/+bug/453579

does this effect me at all? cause if it does i have a stupid reinstall to do... why the heck did they put ext4 as default filesystem if it has bugs like this?????

i will freak if my files get ruined....

and on a side note, once a fix gets released for this bug, will it just be a simple upgrade via apt-get or will it be a whole reinstall anyway?
    running ext4 and i did get those errors. but dont worry. its really really stable and i mean it. i think i've as of now fallen in love with karmic more than i did with jaunty!

Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

Beans
    Distro

running ext4 and i did get those errors
    you did get the errors? do you mean youve had file corruption?

i am seriously concerned about the preservation of my files....

I am kinda still deciding between jaunty and karmic...
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_kid View Post
    you did get the errors? do you mean youve had file corruption?

i am seriously concerned about the preservation of my files....

I am kinda still deciding between jaunty and karmic...
    go for karmic and update it. there have been some bug fixes after the official release. also u'll find the errors progressively thin out in due time. i used to get LOADS of filesystem and kernel errors earlier with the new karmic release but now, no error notifications at all!

believe me i had messed up karmic big time! but to my utter surprise, it didnt let me down at all, i just reinstalled the default ubuntu-desktop package and everything worked perfectly again. i cant remember any crashes on my system in the past 2 weeks.

karmic's faster than jaunty and even if u install jaunty now, u'd probably have to install about 300-400MB of additional software update/bug fixes.

go for karmic.

Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That's why you have to backup files. I always burn stuff in CD .

Beans

I have been running ext4 since before Jaunty was released with no problems at all.

Have you looked at;

https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ext3

and seen how many of them were filed this year inspite of its being around for years?

Sorry, just getting tried of off beating this dead horse.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I haven't had any problems thus far (as i knock on my wooden bookshelf) and have been using it since April with Jaunty.

I am a little disturbed with how quickly the diskcheck disappears in karmic when it shows up in usplash though. it'll blink 6%, then 8%, just before the GDM loads. no idea if it is finishing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    I haven't had any problems thus far (as i knock on my wooden bookshelf) and have been using it since April with Jaunty.

I am a little disturbed with how quickly the diskcheck disappears in karmic when it shows up in usplash though. it'll blink 6%, then 8%, just before the GDM loads. no idea if it is finishing.
    maybe u could try removing the splash screen (via the startupmanager software) and see whats going on behind the scenes, just to be sure.

Beans

EXT4 is working perfectly for me so far with no issues at all. Even converted an archive drive from EXT3 to EXT4 - no issues there either.

Beans
    Distro

ok, thanks a bunch for all the replies!
    guess im being parinoid (like usual)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast