Thread: login guest account

Beans

login guest account

ok this has been covered but I found a sort of work around that almost works. I was wondering if there was someone who can help me out here.

First off, this isnt necessarily done for security reasons, its mainly to keep the system clean for many users to use.

So in order to create a guest account at login, I created an account "Anybody" (cant use "guest" due to a bug). I set it to unprivileged as well.

Next, I created a script with my very limited knowledge of scripting.
    PHP Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/share/gdm/guest-session/guest-session-launch
    Then I set it to load automatically during login using the "System > Preferences > Startup Applications"

Test it out, and it works!.. kinda. it automatically sets up a guest account but when you go to logout it dumps you to the main "anybody" account I set up, which isnt good.

If I run teh script manually, it works just fine. it goes to a guest account and when you logout it takes you back to the login screen. So, apparently, its an issue with running it at startup.

Any suggestions?

Beans

Re: login guest account

oops didnt realize this forum was no longer being used.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why not just limit what the users can do in the guest account, About the only thing a guest would need to do is access the internet. They don't need permissions to do anything else.

Why not just limit what the users can do in the guest account, About the only thing a guest would need to do is access the internet. They don't need permissions to do anything else.
    +1. Is there a reason that you wrote a script and not just unclicked the permissions that you did not want them to have?
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

I'm looking for the same thing. The point is: I want the home directory of the guest-user to be cleaned we he logs out. That's exactly what happens with a guest session. The only problem is you can't select a guest session until a regular user has logged in.

kind regards,

pieter