Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: workaround for flash mouse problem (bug #410407)

Beans

Re: workaround for flash mouse problem (bug #410407)

Here works great, very elegant solution!

Beans

Smile Re: workaround for flash mouse problem (bug #410407)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan_Fire View Post
    Just wanted to post this here for everyone's benefit (and hopefully less spam in the bugreport).

In comment #143, Edward posted a workaround which works for me as well as others. However, I have an alternative workaround which doesn't involve creating files that the package manager won't know about (bad thing):

Edit /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer to include a line, "export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1".

Step-by-step instructions:

1) Run "gksudo gedit /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer" with Alt-F2.
    2) Add the "export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1" immediately before the last line of text.
    3) Save and exit.

You should then be golden! Please post here if it doesn't work. Also, please remember to revert the npviewer script to its original state when next upgrading your system.

For reference, my npviewer script looks like:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    TARGET_OS=linux
    TARGET_ARCH=i386

# dgt 02 Nov 2009
    export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1

. /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer
    this really solved the problem.. Thanks a lot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Adobe took the 64-bit linux alpha off their site a couple of days ago when they released Flash 10.1 - so that script to download it in post #3 won't work any longer.

Prior to installing that 64-bit Flash, despite being an Alpha, it worked great and got rid of the mouse problems and tons of terrible video tearing issues... And now it's gone!

I backed up my flashplugin.so file just to be safe, and decided I would go ahead and give the NEW 32-bit 10.1 a try. And, it worked! It runs MUCH more smoothly than all previous linux versions I've used, 32 or 64-bit. Also, despite being 32-bit, no more annoying mouse problems either. And, I can watch Hulu!

YMMV, but I definitely recommend trying to "downgrade" to the 32-bit "upgrade" plugin, and see if it works better... Make sure you backup the old 64-bit flashplugin.so file first though, since Adobe won't let you download it anymore !

Beans

This solution worked great! I had to dump the 64-bit version of Flash, but at least I can now control the settings and stuff like that!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123