Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember authorization / disable password for some actions in PolicyKit

Beans

Re: Remember authorization / disable password for some actions in PolicyKit

ok did every thing you said but problem when i try to save the edited org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.policy.xml file it says cannot change you do not have permission root file ? so if i can't save the changes in make how am i supposed to change the file?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matty83 View Post
    ok did every thing you said but problem when i try to save the edited org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.policy.xml file it says cannot change you do not have permission root file ? so if i can't save the changes in make how am i supposed to change the file?
    It wouldn't be much of a security system if you could just edit a file to get whatever access you want You need to edit this file as root. Do something like this:

1. Press Alt + F2 to open the "Run..." diologue.

2. Enter
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.policy
    Change the path to the file you want to edit

3. Enter your password

4. Edit the file, save it, close the editor

Cheers!

Beans

Ok LoonyPhoenix now it's clear.

Thanks
    Last edited by Boibondas; November 8th, 2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: redundancy

Beans

Hello,
    I have got a similar problem - when I plug in the USB hard drive, the system automounts it and an icon shows up on the desktop. But the hardrive is mounted with 0700 permissions and I can not figure out how to change this fact. The only solution is to unmount it and then mount with appropriate permissions.

I need to set permissions at least to read for another user called ftp to be able to share some data from the portable harddrive via ftp server. I have tried to put the user to almost all groups, but it also has not worked.

I have tried to change the authorizations stuff in usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.policy, but it seems to me that my changes has been totally ignored by policykit, even when I rebooted.

Is there any chance to make it work?
    Thank you for your responses!
    Regards,
    ProgX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

When you plug-in your usb drive, are you being prompted for a password ?

Beans

No, I'm not, every USB hard- or flashdrive is mounted automatically without asking the password. But with 0700 permissions only

Beans

Well, problem solved - I went a little step back and reverted to the previous version 9.04. And everything works, including the choice of permissions. I have read a lot of people's reaction in many forums and the result is that the version 9.10 contains a lot of bugs and therefore it needs some time to "grow up". I'm not one of those who give up without a fight, but if there's so many bugs which nobody knows how to solve, then my fight is lost before it has begun.

So I wish luck to everyone and hopefully one day the Karmic Koala will be perfect!

Regards,
    ProgX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You saved me pjomega! That was becoming VERY annoying!
    Long life to ubuntu!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had the same issue, this fixed it. NICE!

Ok, new question: Which numbnut thought changing the authentication system in such a way that it makes it more difficult for the end user would be a good idea?
    ----------------------------
    Mmmmm... Delicious Ubuntu!

Beans

Just updated today 12-08-09. Devicekit-disks had an update and now the problem of authenticating is back.

I restored an image from 12-05-09 and allowed all updates except devicekit-disks and everything is good. Any suggestions other than not updating devicekit-disks?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast