Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember authorization / disable password for some actions in PolicyKit

Beans

Remember authorization / disable password for some actions in PolicyKit

Hey, everybody, I need some help tweaking my security options. I tried man pages of PolicyKit and Google, but couldn't find definitive answers, so here I am

Can I make some actions available automatically, without the password, with PolicyKit? For example, I don't want to have to enter my password every time I mount a partition. I understand I can configure permanent mounts with fstab, but I'd like to try it this way first Also, I would like to give Software Center permission to install and uninstall software without password authorization. And some other things. I understand it's a security risk, but hey, I don't have any sensitive data, and I'm not paranoid (so sue me). It's my call, isn't it?

PolicyKit is supposed to be the new and flexible system for organizing permissions, so I want it to do what I want it to do. But I can't figure out how

PS: I'm using Karmic
    Last edited by LoonyPhoenix; November 1st, 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Remember authorization / disable password for some actions in PolicyKit

Same here. In jaunty there was a checkbox to remember authorisation for certain actions, in karmic a can't seem to find how to do that. Frankly, it's becoming very annoying.
    Last edited by batsali; November 1st, 2009 at 06:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have had the remember password option when automounting a drive or partition in Karmic since Alpha2. I just did a fresh install yesterday, and the option was still there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I have had the remember password option when automounting a drive or partition in Karmic since Alpha2. I just did a fresh install yesterday, and the option was still there.
    Well, I don't see it there.

Beans

Smile Re: Remember authorization / disable password for some actions in PolicyKit

The new policykit-1 which supercedes the old policykit doesn't seem to have a gui for adjusting authorizations. The policies are stored as xml files in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions.

1) Note the service attempting the action and find the appropriate policy in the actions directory. In your case it's org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.policy.

2) Edit the file in your favorite editor and find the right action (e.g., org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.filesystem-mount-system-internal).

3) The defaults key controls the access. Check the manpage for polkit for all the details, but allow_any controls every client, allow_inactive controls clients outside of the currently active session and allow_active controls access in the active session. You care about the allow_active key

4) Selecting a key value of "no" denies access, "yes" implicitly permits access, "auth_user" requires user authentication, "auth_admin" requires admin authentication. "auth_user_keep" and "auth_admin_keep" function similarly but retain authentication for a few minutes afterward. Changing the allow_active key's value to "yes" should stop the authentication demands.

5) Save the file and it should take effect immediately.

Cheers
    Last edited by pjomega; November 2nd, 2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: fixed action id

Beans

Thank you pjomega! Works great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi guys,

I started a thread with the same problem here :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308084

and was directed to this thread, so here I am !!

I've followed pjomega's instructions, but the file being referred to (org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.filesystem-mount-system-internal) doesn't exist on my system, or at least, I can't find it with the search tool under 'Places'

Also, the 'Remember Password' option is NOT available on my Authentication dialog box.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

Tim

Beans

Any ideas ?
    see here for terminal command to edit file, ect (some edits in the link that may come up

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...92#post8203192

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: Remember authorization / disable password for some actions in PolicyKit

Sorry peeps !

Forgot how to read a post properly, on second viewing, I can declare Problem Solved !!!

Thanks pjomega !!

Beans

Thanks, pjomega, that helped tremendously!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast