Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: karmic freeze before install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

karmic freeze before install

I burned the 64-bit desktop version of 9.10, loaded it in, selected English language, then selected the "Install Now" option. I get a cool white Ubuntu graphic pulsing for about a minute then the cd spins down, the graphic freezes and my computer hangs.

I tried the safe graphics option, tried booting into the live cd, same result. The graphic freezes its animation and my computer hangs. Caps/Num/Scroll lock keys are unresponsive.

I checked the cd for defects, it's fine. I ran the memtest program and got no errors. I had 64-bit 9.04 installed about a month ago, then I upgraded to Windows 7 (over ...uugh.. Vista) in anticipation of dual booting with W7 and Karmic. W7 runs fine so I know its not a hardware problem.

Anyone else have this issue and/or more information?

My hardware:
    Intel C2Q 9550
    ATI 4850X2
    4GB ram, DDR2 800

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: karmic freeze before install

The LiveCD video support has gotten much better over the years, but sometimes it doesn't work. If you can spare the bandwidth, I would just go ahead and skip straight to using the Alternate install cd rather than fiddling with the LiveCD. You can get it from the Ubuntu download page by clicking "Alternative download options, including Ubuntu installer for Windows" and select "Text-based installer". This uses a pseudo-GUI which is actually very easy to use, so don't be intimidated. The disc just doesn't have a Live session which you probably don't need since you are already just planning on installing.

Beans
    Distro

Ok I'll try the alternate CD and post back when I get some results. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Beans

eeyyy
    please run first LiveCD...maybe detect any error when run boot process

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by acracker View Post
    Ok I'll try the alternate CD and post back when I get some results. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    I hope run alternate CD....because Karmic it's beautiful

Beans
    Distro

Ok, installed 9.10 via the alternate install CD, but I get the same problem when I try booting: the white Ubuntu graphic appears on the screen, but nothing else and then my computer hangs. My hard disk activity light comes in the beginning of the boot process, but soon turns off when my computer hangs.

I tried booting into the recovery mode and booting continues until it tries to start AppArmor profiles, then it hangs. Once again, no response from caps/scroll/num lock keys.

Here are the last two lines on my screen:
    * Setting preliminary keymap...
    * Starting AppArmor profiles

with a blinking underscore on the right side of my screen.

I used ext4 for the / and /home partitions and created an 8GB swap partition. Maybe I should try ext3?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you able to get to a tty by doing CTRL+ALT+F1 and logging in to the command line interface? If so, it would appear that something is wrong with X.

Beans
    Distro

No, I press Ctrl+Alt+F1, but nothing happens. Still locked up at "Starting AppArmor profiles". I did this in recovery mode and in generic startup with the same result.

I originally thought that my problem was what these people were describing:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...80/+bug/444123

However, they mention being able to boot to the desktop and I'm a ways away from there. Their problem seems to be an Xorg issue like you mentioned.

Just for the heck of it, I'll try installing the 32-bit version of Karmic. Thanks for the suggestions so far Rocket, keep 'em coming!

I'll post back with results of the 32-bit trial.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

LOL, sounds a lot like what happens when the video card is newer than the version of Ubuntu you have, like when I tried to use Dapper Drake with my GeForce 7600 GS and ended up with just a black screen.

But, I'm puzzled, because I was able to use Karmic Koala RC on my Asus P5QL Pro and GeForce 9500 GT. No X crash.

I was just wondering if the problem could be the optical drive, some just randomly stop when in middle of a reading until warmed up. (One of my Lite On CD drives hate it when I keep my PC case real cool!)
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; October 30th, 2009 at 04:07 AM.

Beans

I get the same problem on 2.6.31 kernel. After AppArmor, karmic will freeze and jus spit out a soft lockup bug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast