Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: texlive

Beans

Angry texlive

Hello. I installed the texlive-full package through Synaptic Package Manager and the installation was succesful. However I cannot find any new applications added for me to use it. I heard latex is great for writing Mathematical stuffs.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: texlive

Latex is not really a graphical application, thus you won't find it in the menu. What you do is to write a document in latex-code (very easy compared to programming code), and compile it, i.e., write a document in draft.tex and compile it with
    Code:
     latex draft.tex
    Although latex in very many ways is better than WYSIWYG editors, getting into it will take you a few moments. There are many tutorials around, I can't recommend any as I got into the whole thing by simply being given a latex document for an article. However, I do recommend http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Latex for reference.

Oh, there are also editors available that will help you. I use gedit+latex plugin, but there are more advanced (in my opinion bloated) editors in the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you want more of a GUI, there are options.

the program called LyX is probably the easiest way to get started with LaTeX.

Another alternative, the solution I actually use, is the gedit-latex-plugin. You can install that from synaptic. It's for the Ubuntu "text editor" which is called gedit. When you open a .tex file in gedit with this plugin installed, it shows a lot of useful latex tools that makes writing latex a lot easier.
    System76 Darter Ultra gen3, 12" Glossy LCD
    Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo, 2.53ghz
    4gb DDR2 SDRAM; 250gb, 7200rpm, SATA HDD
    Intel X4500 Graphics Card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have used gedit with the latex pluggin, and that works quite well. However, I prefer texmaker. But you need the latest version, which is not in the repositories. To read about texmaker, go to

http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/

Click on the "download" link to see choices, e.g.,

Static i386 binary DEB package : texmaker_1.9.2-1_i386.deb (for DEBIAN-based Linux distributions : Ubuntu, debian, etc...)

or

Static amd64 binary DEB package : texmaker_1.9.2-1_amd64.deb (for DEBIAN-based Linux distributions : Ubuntu, debian, etc...)

After downloading, right click the file and choose Open with "GDebi Package Installer"
    Last edited by entropy1; September 19th, 2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Clarify instructions

Beans

thanks a lot. that was really helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: texlive Gummi

Good day,

I am a complete noob, with just a little Unix experience here and there....

I would like to get the gedit plugin to work and haven't had much luck. I found some forum articles dealing with how to get it , but it must have been for a different installation.

I am running Hardy.

Also, I tried to get a GUI called Gummi, which looked really cool and lite weight, however
    I don't have all the Python files it wants and it's been a mess trying to sort that out.

I did have some success when I tried Latex in terminal. The output went to the desktop,
    however, the math symbols did not work.

I used to use the amsmath and amsfont packages in my ******* days, when I ran TeXnic Center, it manages all the packages and auto downloads if a nwe one shows up in the preamble.

If anyone can offer some advice that would be great I need to write some reports soon.

TIA,
    wannabegeek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: texlive Gummi

Did you get the plugin from http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/LaTeXPlugin ?

How do I install the plugin?

First of all download the latest release of the plugin. It contains a folder and a file that you have to copy to ~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins, where ~ is your home directory. You may have to create gedit/plugins if you haven't installed any plugins, yet. After that you may restart gedit and activate the plugin in the settings dialog.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks Xcan, will try and repost...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,

First of all I use LaTeX a lot, its most useful for making formulas.
    I wondered if the automatic package updates work in UBUNTU, cause I had some problems there.

If you want to check if a package is installed use:

Code:
    aptitude show yourpackage
    BYe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'll just add that in order to use the gedit LaTeX plugin you need to install the rubber package from synaptic/apt-get.

+1 to the LaTeX wikibook and Kile is also another good LaTeX editor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast