Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Ipod Nano 5G with linux?

Beans

Re: Use iTunes once, then latest gtkpod

Quote Originally Posted by RichardNeill View Post
    I found this post helpful.

http://thias.marmotte.net/2010/04/ap...th-gen-fedora/

I tried using the latest build of libgpod + gtkpod (as per someone's earlier very helpful post), but this along is not sufficient. What worked for me is:

1. Boot into Windows XP (ugh!).
    2. Download iTunes (all 96 MB of it!)
    3. Use iTunes to restore the iPod to factory settings.
    4. Initialise the iPod once with iTunes. When prompted for a name, I called it "IPOD"
    (this probably doesn't matter, but Linux uses this name for the mount-point under /media)
    5.Sync one MP3 onto the iPod via iTunes. This step seems to be necessary.
    6. Use the latest libgpod and gtkpod builds (the version shipped with Lucid *might* be enough; the git tree certainly works).
    7. Now use gtkpod, and it will work properly.
    Thanks for the helpful information!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ipod Nano 5G with linux?

I now have my own 5g nano and I cant get it to work. It seems when you setup more than one ipod, gtkpod gets confused and it doesnt work properly. It was thinking I was using my wife's and then my niece's as well. I tried removing it all and reinstalling using the guide and to no avail. When I try to use it, it fails to import the database. This was brand new out of the box too. I plugged it into a Win computer to use iTunes and it needed a restore but that wont work without a stable net connection (which I dont have on the Win pc). Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Use iTunes once, then latest gtkpod

Quote Originally Posted by RichardNeill View Post
    I found this post helpful.

http://thias.marmotte.net/2010/04/ap...th-gen-fedora/

I tried using the latest build of libgpod + gtkpod (as per someone's earlier very helpful post), but this along is not sufficient. What worked for me is:

1. Boot into Windows XP (ugh!).
    2. Download iTunes (all 96 MB of it!)
    3. Use iTunes to restore the iPod to factory settings.
    4. Initialise the iPod once with iTunes. When prompted for a name, I called it "IPOD"
    (this probably doesn't matter, but Linux uses this name for the mount-point under /media)
    5.Sync one MP3 onto the iPod via iTunes. This step seems to be necessary.
    6. Use the latest libgpod and gtkpod builds (the version shipped with Lucid *might* be enough; the git tree certainly works).
    7. Now use gtkpod, and it will work properly.
    Confirmed that this method DOES work with the Lucid versions of gtkpod (0.99.14) and libgpod (0.7.93). Also, after following these steps I am able to use Rhythmbox just fine to sync music to my iPod Nano 5G. Banshee is unable - it claims it is too old for such an awesome device. Thanks RichardNeill!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

That method did work, but I had to name the iPod as "ipod" with iTunes. "iPod Nano" nor "IPOD" would work.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Beans

this is what worked for me:

i tried various Ubuntu packages such as gtkPod, Amarok etc - no success

HP G61 - does not support processor virtualization.
    karmic, running virtualbox 3.1.8 (xp sp3)
    iPod Nano 5th Gen

iTunes 9.1.1 crashes
    then downgraded to iTunes 8.2.1, but Nano wanted iTunes 9 or later
    iTunes 10.0.0.68 = success

would love something that works under Ubuntu, but for now vBox with iTunes 10 seems to do the trick...

see following thread for details on vBox and iTunes 9
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1431695

Beans

I can confirm that Floola works, but nothing else I tried (which includes everything above except VBox/iTunes10) worked for me. Thank you Floola!! I hope either they go open source or gtkpod/libgpod gets it together soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i have tried floola, and while it seems to work with the actual sync, i cannot get it to work reliably. it often crashes. i think i may have installed it incorrectly though. can anyone confirm?

Floola 6.0 was released! Biggest new feature is Facebook integration to share music played in Floola with friends.

A couple of linux bugs fixed.

http://www.floola.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

SOLUTION! SO SIMPLE!

Using a computer with iTunes (I used a PC) initialize/restore the iPod. Name it, and do not have checked voiceover, auto sync, and there is a third box that I can't remember but it should probably be unchecked (I did). Then simply plug the iPod into a computer that is running Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat. Using Banshee, sync your iPod. You'll be all set!

Note: While I did not try anything other than Banshee, I would imagine that it works with any of the major music organizers.

So nice to be able to easily sync the iPod finally!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flyingboy View Post
    Note: While I did not try anything other than Banshee, I would imagine that it works with any of the major music organizers...
    Well, I just tried that yesterday, and it doesn't work at all with gtkpod... I'm back to just one track on my iPod (the one i synched from iTunes).

Will try again with Banshee.

EDIT: I confirm that using THIS METHOD and then using Banshee works like a charm!
    Last edited by epofra2k; November 10th, 2010 at 12:20 AM.

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast