Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make the totally unsupported Lexmark X2500 Work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

How to make the totally unsupported Lexmark X2500 Work

1. On the Lexmark website under Drivers & Downloads find the X2600 all-in-one printer and click on Unix/Linux. For the Eee PC or other Debian-based distros choose the first option Debian 4 and download the following driver file (approx 30MB) to your home folder:
    lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.zip

2. Don't connect the printer yet. Right-click on the downloaded file and choose "Extract All...". then click OK to unzip it in your home folder.

3.You will now also have the same file but unzipped so it ends in sh. If you can't get the installer to run by clicking the icon, open a terminal and try the following:
    chmod 744 lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh
    ./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh

4. Now follow the instructions on screen. When you get to the point where it asks you to connect the printer, do so. However, you will find it won't be recognised (because it's not a 2600 series or Z2300 series printer). Exit by clicking the close button on the window and then clicking "Yes".

5. Now edit three text files to change the product i/d (PID) from 011d (or 0x011d), which is the PID for the X2600 series, to 010b (or 0x010b) which is the PID for the Lexmark X2550. The following commands in a terminal will open each of the relevant files in a text editor:
    sudo kwrite /usr/lexinkjet/lxk08/etc/lxdn.conf
    sudo kwrite /usr/lexinkjet/lxk08/etc/99-lexmark-2600-series.rules
    sudo kwrite /usr/lexinkjet/lxk08/etc/Lexmarklxdn.conf
    In each case change 011d wherever it appears to 010b (or 011D to 010B if it was in capitals), save and exit.

6. Now add the printer using the CUPS interface.
    In the first box on the name/ description page there must not be any spaces so, for instance, just type lexmarkX2550 as one word. On the next page, in the Device dropdown list, select: "Lexmark USB Backend #1 (Lexmark X2500 series)" For Model/Driver select "Lexmark 2600 series, 1.0 (en)".
    (On the Eee PC, you can also add the printer via the Printers icon on the Settings tab. However, I found doing it this way did not set the A4 paper size properly so that multiple-page printing did not work correctly.I then had to change the paper size in CUPS so it seems best to add the printer via CUPS in the first place.)

7. Finally click on "Print Test Page" and keep your fingers crossed... The scanner should work as well, although only from the computer not from the scanner button on the printer. There is also a Lexmark inkjet program to monitor ink levels and align the cartridges (type lexijtools in a terminal). However I could not get this to work - probably it doesn't recognise the different cartridges in the X2550. I'm hoping it doesn't matter on the X2500 series as an alignment sheet can be printed by holding the scan button for 3 seconds, then place it on the scanner glass and press the button again.

(with thanks from OpenPrinting Forum)

Beans

Re: How to make the totally unsupported Lexmark X2500 Work

You sir are amazing. This deservers a bump as it probably works for many printers not just the X2500 - one needs only go

dmesg | grep lp

and look at their printer's PID. So instead of 010B, it might be 011A, for example.

Beans

I'd like to bump this up once more, I found the same solution on the aforementioned website and it works like a charm! I've been trying forever to get my damn Lexmark X2500 working with Ubuntu and with this solution I finally got it to work! works great!

Beans

I was trying to install the script but, there is an error that says the CUPS is not the last version, it needs the 1.2 version or above, but i already have installed 1.4.1 CUPS version. Any idea?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mordor

Beans

You are amazing!! Thanks a million.

Beans

Hey guy I can get all the way to the screen that says need to enter admin password but it wont accept mine, and I know it is correct, any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 2007mordor View Post
    I was trying to install the script but, there is an error that says the CUPS is not the last version, it needs the 1.2 version or above, but i already have installed 1.4.1 CUPS version. Any idea?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1223710

Beans

Thanks a lot. Worked like a charm... If only Lexmark would support Linux better.

Beans

Hi All,

I am trying to install an X2580 and was hoping that these instructions would work. Unfortunately the print job is failing with the following error
    stopped
    "A wrong printer is detected. Any printjobs are canceled."
    I am using version 1.4.1 of CUPS.
    Has anybody else had similar problems? Has anybody found a solution?

Thanks in advance

Nick Bloor.

Beans

My BAD!!!

Sorry all,
    School boy error!!

Thanks to Letocharm I have fixed the problem.
    After typing the "dmesg | grep lp" command I discovered that I was using the wrong PID
    Instead of using of 010B, I was using 011B

Nick Bloor

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast