Thread: iPlayer and Twinview (fullscreen)

Beans

iPlayer and Twinview (fullscreen)

Having trouble here trying to get the web streaming iPlayer service to display in full screen on my second monitor.

I have TwinView setup fine, it's just when dragging an instance of Firefox over to the second monitor, maximising then attempting to watch a programme on the iPlayer in "fullscreen" mode - the video pops over to my normal monitor and plays on that instead.

Is there any way of forcing it to play on my second monitor?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: iPlayer and Twinview (fullscreen)

Quote Originally Posted by djhworld View Post
    Having trouble here trying to get the web streaming iPlayer service to display in full screen on my second monitor.

I have TwinView setup fine, it's just when dragging an instance of Firefox over to the second monitor, maximising then attempting to watch a programme on the iPlayer in "fullscreen" mode - the video pops over to my normal monitor and plays on that instead.

Is there any way of forcing it to play on my second monitor?
    I don't like using TwinView (i.e. a desktop stretched over 2 monitors) for this kind of application because an app running on one screen tends to launch dialog boxes on the other screen.

To keep your Firefox/video app running entirely on your second monitor/TV it would be better to configure your system for Separate X Windows. This will give you 2 independent screens.

You can then run Firefox on the second screen by using the command (in a terminal or in a launcher):-
    firefox --display=:0.1

You can also play movies on your second display:-
    mplayer "filename" -fs -display :0.1

The display numbering assumes you are the initial user. If a second or third user (i.e. additional users logged on via the switch user feature) the display numbering changes as follows:-
    2nd user; display=:20.1
    3rd user; display=:21.1 & so on.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by SteveDee; July 30th, 2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Discription on display numbers for subsequent users was just plain wrong!