Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 clean install - failure to boot default entries

Beans

9.10 clean install - failure to boot default entries

Downloaded 9.10 today and went to install it on a Dell D600 with 2GB 160GB harddrive. Whole drive wipe and clean install.. goes through the install using all the default settings.
    during the initial boot it gave me an error... "ubuntu failure to boot default entries"

Tried re-installing 3 times...still the same issue. Help!

Beans

Re: 9.10 clean install - failure to boot default entries

Have you checked the MD5 hash to confirm that there are no errors in your download?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

Beans

Same issue here with both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 9.10 installing to IBM T41 laptop.

Error message as follows:

error: no such device: <guid>

Failed to boot default entries.
    This is a working laptop. I just flattened it from Windows 7 to install *buntu. Windows 7 ran fine on it.

Any ideas?

Beans

looks like it may be a grub2 bug. Here it is in the Debian forums:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+s...b2/+bug/403408
    I'm getting it too.

Haven't tried the fix mentioned in the second comment, but it looks like it doesn't fix all instances of the bug from the other comments there.
    Last edited by Dramageek; October 29th, 2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: whoops! hyperlink error

Beans

Same here Windows 7 was running fine on the machine.. thought I would revisit Ubuntu.
    I will try the fix and see..

Beans

I reinstalled and resolved my issue.
    Last edited by st0n3cutt3r; October 30th, 2009 at 01:36 AM.

Beans

4th retry, 3time downloaded.. md5 hash is correct.. w7 installs xp installs u8.10 installs u9.10 installs.. then reboots with no such fricken device.. blah c82d577-xxxxx-x-x-xxxx ... ubuntu is not free.. it costs me a packet of fricken drink coasters everytime i go to install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Re: 9.10 clean install - failure to boot default entries

The Same happened to me, a workaround is to install 9.04 (with ext3 filesystem), then upgrade to 9.10.

I believe the problem lies with the ext4 filesystem and Grub and Western Digital Hard drives.

I had 9.04 system up and running. I upgraded to 9.10 just fine, but 9.10 told me that my Seagate HD was failing due to age. I swapped in a WD 160GB drive, did a clean install of 9.10 and had the poblem described in this thread. Tried to figure out what was different and Ubuntu version/ HD brand/ Filesystem came to mind. I figured it must have been something the new OS was doing different that would affect the boot process so early on.

Anyway, I installed 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope just fine, then upgraded to 9.10 just fine, so I am assuming the problem lies with ext4 and Grub. I'm not a programmer or Super Linux user/Guru, so I don't know how to help any further.

Hope this helps!...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kinji5 View Post
    Downloaded 9.10 today and went to install it on a Dell D600 with 2GB 160GB harddrive. Whole drive wipe and clean install.. goes through the install using all the default settings.
    during the initial boot it gave me an error... "ubuntu failure to boot default entries"

Tried re-installing 3 times...still the same issue. Help!
    I had the same problem. Tried reinstalling 6 times...I got it to work on the 7th try.
    This is what worked for me. Some where in the forums I read a post that said "after installing 9.10 before you shut down to take out the cd that you installed from install the video drivers for your video card."
    This worked for me. WHY. I have no idea.
    Hope this might help you.

Beans

Exclamation Re: 9.10 clean install - failure to boot default entries

Linux UBUNTU 9.10, "Karmic Koala" install, boot problem. My system: IBM thinkpad R40e.

For people who get the repeated "no such device" message and no boot menu:
    If you turn on your computer and hold down the shift key, you will get the Grub menu and can then use the instructions in comment below to boot your system."

From the grub bootmenu, press e to get to edit mode. Move cursor down.
    Erase the line starting with "search --nofloppy ..." and then press Ctrl+X to boot.
    When up and running you could run the command sudo update-grub, or wait till the end of these instructions.

when booted up and in go to
    applications
    accessories
    terminal
    in 'terminal window':
    at prompt type:
    sudo gedit /usr/lib/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib
    you get a gedit window with lines of code for the grub-mkconfig_lib file
    scroll down and find the following line:
    prepare_grub_to_access_device ()

then find below this code and delete (or you can comment out by inserting a # before the lines)
    if fs_uuid="`${grub_probe} --device ${device} --target=fs_uuid 2> /dev/null`" ; then
    echo "search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ${fs_uuid}"
    fi

then go to file, save, or control+S to save
    exit window, alt+f4
    back in terminal window that's still open
    at prompt enter
    sudo update-grub
    then re-start and it should boot to desktop
    it worked for me. i've consolidated and expanded other posts from this forum for us linux learners.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast