Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.10 runs slow and jerky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: 10.10 runs slow and jerky

Its running a helluvah lot slower on my desktop as well. Ran smoothly in previous release

Beans
    Distro

The only work-around I've found useful on my machine (slow keyboard buffer, video artifacts, dropped frames in video) is to turn off compisiting... using Metacity isn't enough, because Metacity is also capable of compositing.

What worked for me (just a work-around, not a solution). Is to go in to gconf-editor, apps>metacity and uncheck compositing manager.
    Linux user since 1998.
    Ubuntu user since 2004.
    My tech blog

Beans

Very similar symptoms on my computer:
    Intel core i7 930
    6GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 5870
    No overclocking or anything funny, all hardware just a few months old.

Worked great on Lucid x64, continues to work great on Win7 x64 (dual boot), but I just did a clean install of Maverick x64 last night and now I have this "jerky" behavior of X as soon as it started up for the first time. I can navigate around and browse the web with occasional pauses, but scrolling windows and typing text is VERY laggy. Additionally, audio jumps around/sounds garbled.

CPU's are not pegged and I see nothing obvious in /var/syslog or dmesg that jumps out at me (though I did chase down a couple of red herrings so far).

This seemed like an X thing, so at first I thought it was the open-source Radeon driver that was loaded automatically, but after enabling the closed-source Fglrx driver there is no change. Googling around I've seen similar reports for users of Intel, NVidia and ATI graphics cards, so I doubt very much that it's the graphics driver after all.

I'll try disabling compositing tonight as iMerlin suggests and see if that helps. Not a permanent solution, but an acceptable temporary workaround (if it works) and will help narrow down where the problem lies.

Beans
    Distro

Not happy you are having the same issue but happy someone else on an i7 is having the issue. I also have the dual boot x64 windows set-up you described. I tried disabling compositing without much affect. I also manually installed yet another nVidia driver and seemed to help somewhat... text input in the terminal was a little bit less laggy.

Beans

I have to throw my hat into this ring as well.

Have been running 10.04 64bit desktop on my system (Desktop system in my sig), dual-booting with Windows 7 64bit, and everything has been perfect. When 10.10 was released, I did an upgrade from 10.04 and noticed the problems everyone in this thread are reporting.

So, thinking that it was something that went a-fowl in the upgrade. I downloaded the ISO, burned it, wiped the hard drive clean, and installed clean.

Though I didn't time it, the install took at least an hour to complete, normally ubuntu installs for me are 10 minutes tops. The initial bootup after install took about 5 minutes, normal bootup time for me is less than a minute. The system is extreamly sluggish. Typing in terminal feels like i'm ssh'd to a lagged server and typing.

This is off of the initial install, before I even had a chance to install NVidia drivers. I tried installing Nvidia drivers, but no change. The system is very unusable in it current state, and downright frustrating to even try.

Checking all my log files, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Top looks fine, nothing standing out.

edit Just looked at my install log file...

booted install disc: 18:06
    install completed: 19:33

This cannot be normal, especially for a fresh install.

Also, as with other people, I have compositing disabled, no change.

Beans

I also experience the performance problem after a fresh install of 10.10 64bit : extremely slow keyboard input in a terminal, videos do not play at all in totem and are vary laggy in VLC.
    My laptop is a sony vaio with Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 and Intel X4500 MHD graphic card.
    When I open the gnome system monitor, I can see that after a few seconds the activity of the computer is like frozen, the graphs do not refresh anymore, they start refreshing again if I start moving the mouse.

It is the first ubuntu version causing these problems on this pc, 10.04, 9.10 and 9.04 were fine.

In the syslog I can see many of the following entries, don't know if it is related to the problem :
    Oct 11 23:13:21 lionel-VGN-SR19XN rtkit-daemon[1357]: The canary thread is apparently starving. Taking action.
    Oct 11 23:13:21 lionel-VGN-SR19XN rtkit-daemon[1357]: Demoting known real-time threads.
    Oct 11 23:13:21 lionel-VGN-SR19XN rtkit-daemon[1357]: Successfully demoted thread 1563 of process 1547 (n/a).
    Oct 11 23:13:21 lionel-VGN-SR19XN rtkit-daemon[1357]: Successfully demoted thread 1562 of process 1547 (n/a).
    Oct 11 23:13:21 lionel-VGN-SR19XN rtkit-daemon[1357]: Successfully demoted thread 1547 of process 1547 (n/a).
    Oct 11 23:13:21 lionel-VGN-SR19XN rtkit-daemon[1357]: Demoted 3 threads.
    Last edited by capilalo; October 11th, 2010 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Same problem here. Very very slow on an i7 920 with 8 gigs of ram and nvidia geforce GTX280. If I use the old kernel from 10.04 it works fine. Very upsetting all of my other machines run great on 10.10. so I'm guessing its some kind of kernel bug

Beans
    Distro

Okay, just tried browsing my home LAN and however bad my performance has been to date, when I've been limiting myself to setting up my laptop, is as NOTHING compared to how bad this thing handles networking. Browsing files remotely keeps timing out or locking up; it has just taken SEVERAL MINUTES to open a remote video file. I've got an 802.11n card that worked perfectly under Ubuntu 10.04. Rapidly getting to the point where I consider 10.10 to be unusable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cquilliam View Post
    I have to throw my hat into this ring as well.

Have been running 10.04 64bit desktop on my system (Desktop system in my sig), dual-booting with Windows 7 64bit, and everything has been perfect. When 10.10 was released, I did an upgrade from 10.04 and noticed the problems everyone in this thread are reporting.

So, thinking that it was something that went a-fowl in the upgrade. I downloaded the ISO, burned it, wiped the hard drive clean, and installed clean.

Though I didn't time it, the install took at least an hour to complete, normally ubuntu installs for me are 10 minutes tops. The initial bootup after install took about 5 minutes, normal bootup time for me is less than a minute. The system is extreamly sluggish. Typing in terminal feels like i'm ssh'd to a lagged server and typing.

This is off of the initial install, before I even had a chance to install NVidia drivers. I tried installing Nvidia drivers, but no change. The system is very unusable in it current state, and downright frustrating to even try.

Checking all my log files, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Top looks fine, nothing standing out.

edit Just looked at my install log file...

booted install disc: 18:06
    install completed: 19:33

This cannot be normal, especially for a fresh install.

Also, as with other people, I have compositing disabled, no change.
    I have exactly the same problems as this guy. i7 920, nvidia GTX 9800, 6 gigs ram. Install took well over an hour from USB disk. That was the first sign. It is somewhat usable just very laggy. Powerup takes almost 5 minutes just like the dude above. I tried keeping my home dir from 10.04, that sucked, so did a full fresh install and still same issue. If I look at my System Monitor about half of my 8 cores at any given time are above 50% with nothing running besides system monitor. If I do a "top" it seems like 20-80% of the cpu time is being spent in Sys. I am also using the nvidia 260.19.06 drivers. I hope this helps somehow, I am definitely jealous with everyone else's success stories!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by davidmohammed View Post
    If it doesnt work, go back to 10.04.
    Or you could install Kubuntu 10.10. I have the below listed Intel graphics card which freezes the system in Ubuntu Gnome 10.04 and 10.10.

Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    I installed Kubuntu 10.10 instead and everything works like it should. Not a single crash or issue..
    Colyn

My photography website: http://www.colynsfotografs.com

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast