Thread: Cite-as-you-write with OpenOffice?

Beans

Cite-as-you-write with OpenOffice?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a program like EndNote for Linux? Searching the web it seems obvious that there are plenty of bibliographic managers out there, and even some that can insert citation into LyX and other TeX-like programs. What I would like to know, is if there are a program that can work both as a bibliographic manager AND insert citation easily into OpenOffice. And not just as a simple reference, but as a citation on the form (Author, 1990: 65p)

As I said, like EndNote... Pybliographer 1.3 is supposed to be able to do it, but as of now, their graphical userinterface doesnt really work, since it is only in Alpha-release....

Any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated This is really the only thing that stops me from migrating to Linux completely.

teasum is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Cite-as-you-write with OpenOffice?

You might want to look at bibus, which is designed for use with OpenOffice. I've used it to insert citations into my papers written with OpenOffice, but since my school provides access to RefWorks for free, I'm using that now. The only downside with bibus (for me) is that I cannot find the styles I need online (I use Chicago style footnotes and bibliography, which is not as widespread as parenthetical citations, which you need). The upshot is that with bibus you can create or tweak the citation formatting pretty easily, though if you need an entirely new style (as I do) it might take some time. For your needs, however, if one of the included citation styles isn't exactly what you need, it should be pretty easy to tweak it as necessary.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck.
    Last edited by teasum; October 19th, 2006 at 12:06 AM. Reason: clarification

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lovlie View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a program like EndNote for Linux? Searching the web it seems obvious that there are plenty of bibliographic managers out there, and even some that can insert citation into LyX and other TeX-like programs. What I would like to know, is if there are a program that can work both as a bibliographic manager AND insert citation easily into OpenOffice. And not just as a simple reference, but as a citation on the form (Author, 1990: 65p)

As I said, like EndNote... Pybliographer 1.3 is supposed to be able to do it, but as of now, their graphical user interface doesn't really work, since it is only in Alpha-release....

Any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated This is really the only thing that stops me from migrating to Linux completely.
    There are programs like Endnote for linux. For example bibus is like Endnote. The main difference is that like most opensource alternatives to proprietary software it does not work. If you spend time scouring numerous forums you might find one lonely dude in arkansas who got it to work for five minutes last tuesday. After he recomiled his kernal or some obscure **** like that.

You can use zotero which is a Firefox plugin but to be of any real utility there is a monthly fee for online storage. you might as well save up your monthly fee and buy endnote.

you could use ref-works. or not.

My advice is not to feel pressure to use Linux as your sole operating system. You should just use windows and not tell anyone you do. I lead this double life with windows and Ubuntu and offer this useful suggestion. If you are communicating with women for the purpose of sexual gratification - do not mention Linux (or anything about computers in general - they don't get it, if they do they are usually needy boilers anyway).
    If you are on an online forum looking for solutions to trivial problems you encounter when tinkering with linux while you are really just procrastinating about getting on with a worthwhile existence - don't mention windows (except to bag it).

Anyway. Enjoy your life using whatever operating system is available to get the job done. For citation management just use endnote. It the industry standard and version x3 goes like **** off a stick on a 64bit system with word 2007.

I have used it now for 2 years and have completed multiple assignments at uni and achieving both high marks while managing to provide my partner with very mediocre sexual experiences.

Trust me, it iwll be a load off your mind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by marquess View Post
    There are programs like Endnote for linux. For example bibus is like Endnote. The main difference is that like most opensource alternatives to proprietary software it does not work. If you spend time scouring numerous forums you might find one lonely dude in arkansas who got it to work for five minutes last tuesday. After he recomiled his kernal or some obscure **** like that.

You can use zotero which is a Firefox plugin but to be of any real utility there is a monthly fee for online storage. you might as well save up your monthly fee and buy endnote.

you could use ref-works. or not.

My advice is not to feel pressure to use Linux as your sole operating system. You should just use windows and not tell anyone you do. I lead this double life with windows and Ubuntu and offer this useful suggestion. If you are communicating with women for the purpose of sexual gratification - do not mention Linux (or anything about computers in general - they don't get it, if they do they are usually needy boilers anyway).
    If you are on an online forum looking for solutions to trivial problems you encounter when tinkering with linux while you are really just procrastinating about getting on with a worthwhile existence - don't mention windows (except to bag it).

Anyway. Enjoy your life using whatever operating system is available to get the job done. For citation management just use endnote. It the industry standard and version x3 goes like **** off a stick on a 64bit system with word 2007.

I have used it now for 2 years and have completed multiple assignments at uni and achieving both high marks while managing to provide my partner with very mediocre sexual experiences.

Trust me, it iwll be a load off your mind.
    You really felt the need to revive a 3 year old thread just to troll? Don't blame your inadequacies (sexual or otherwise) on linux. I'm glad that Windows works for you, but Bibus/OOo/Linux work for far more than just one person in Arkansas. And this combination has been used for far more worthwhile endeavors than 'multiple assignments at uni'. And perhaps the reason you're mediocre with your partner is that you are trying to cite-while-you-write at the same time. Give it your full attention (your partner, not your software) and you'll probably have better luck.
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

Locked. Necromancing.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine