Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix on Asus Eee PC 1005P

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix on Asus Eee PC 1005P

I'm another happy user of Eee 1005P. I have first upgraded BIOS and then moved to UNR. Everything works fine. Function buttons - suspend, volume control, brightness control (after adding acpi_osi=linux option in grub), wireless is doing very well (running on atk9k module), camera, external monitor and so on.

Of course there are no special touchpad gestures (I have tried little bit of them in Win and not crying after them), however scrolling with touchpad works - which is the only thing I need.

The only last thing I couldn't get to work is a build-in microphone. It is not even detected anyway.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix on Asus Eee PC 1005P

Fyi... My Asus eeepc, model 1001p, works great with 9.10, thanks to ndiswrapper (ndisgtk) and the pervious few posts right here! The Asus download page for my model did NOT give me the correct inf file that works, since I clicked on the Windows 7 hardware link, but when I clicked on the XP operating system downloads selection and got the XP available downloads, then downloaded and unzipped them, I did run into another problem... the correct inf file to load with ndisgtk is the 'netathwx' NOT the other one, which apparently worked for others but not for my model. I actually tried the other one, as listed in other posts, but had no sign of life, even though it did report to have 'seen installed hardware' in existence, NOT seeing any networks available, and nothing on the little icon in my screen's panel. But then..
    Here's what I did: Got Asus downloads off the model recomended page, having chosen XP as operating system, not 7 or Linux, I unzipped them to a convenient location, opened ndisgtk with sudo ndisgtk using a terminal, then using ndisgtk I browsed and located the netathwx (the correct inf file for mine) and clicked install, waited a couple minutes, and my panel icon kicked into life, found the wireless signals and put this HUGE smile on my face! It had been a two or three week nightmare for me to get this working. Thanks to everyone here...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had no issues installing Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix on my ASUS Eee 4G PC. The standard 9.10 was eating up my DOC, the remix left me with 1/3 of the DOC free! I built the installation CD from a WinXP platform.

1. Downloaded UNR
    2. Downloaded and installed the CD burner from: http://infrarecorder.org/
    3. Burned the CD with UNR
    4. Installed UNR on my ASUS Eee Surf
    5. Added my wireless definitions, and the network kicked right up.

Overall, pleased! I was getting concerned that the 4G had run its course.

Rade

Beans

Hi, this is my first post here!

I have the same computer as you, an Asus EEE 1005P, and I've followed all your instructions, in fact, I'm writing this post from Ubuntu Netbook-remix OS with an ethernet-cable connected to my PC and I am getting connection to the Internet perfectly fine like this. I've downloaded and installed all the updates, so my system is up to date, but my problem is that I can't get the driver that you recommended for the computers network-card to work when using ndiswrapper. ndiswrapper just keep telling me the driver (netathw) is invalid when I have installed it and I can't get my wireless network to work. Please help me! Any suggestion of other drivers I may try?

EDIT: Haha, solved it thanks to the Wiki, and I almost started dancing on the floor of sheer happiness! . Thx anyways!
    Last edited by Fakil; April 8th, 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have a AR2427 on 1005PE that does not work.
    This WILL get it working using GNU drivers. I think that the kernel uses an old wireless build? Not sure why? Anyway, the following works. And appears to be much simpler, better and faster than the hack to get the windows drivers working.

Go here:
    http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...-wireless-2.6/
    and download the latest drivers, for example:
    http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2010-04-16.tar.bz2

Now extract these files
    Open a SHELL, and change into the directory created with the archive, it's probably something like:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/compat-wireless-2010-04-16
    now select the driver
    Code:
    ./scripts/driver-select ath9k
    You now need to build the drivers
    Code:
    make
    Now install them with this
    Code:
    sudo make install
    sudo make unload
    sudo modprobe ath9k
    You will need to do ALL the above EACH TIME the kernel is updated.
    Networking works perfectly for me on my ASUS 1005PE now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The built in microphone doesn't seem to work but if you install the pulseaudio device chooser and adjust either the left or right mic levels to minimum it does indeed work. It's as if one of the mic channels is inverted and cancels out the other.

Beans

interestingly, I've installed the netbook remix (currently 10.04) to a dual boot on my Asus Netbook EEE 1005P (purchased about May 2010), and all functioned well out of the box. OK, the screen is flickering sometimes (not allways) but my ubuntu knowledge is not there that I will start troubleshooting,
    before installing ubuntu, I've loaded the W7 first, update the BIOS, update all the drivers, cut all from W7 what I wouldn't need at all, repartitioned the HDD, than finally installed the UNR. since I didn't even opened the W7.
    One thing, the blue FN key for sound + or - is not working, but that is not my concern at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks to gregpritchard for the excellent guide!

@robertfullarton, @attilab

does this mean that you guys got 10.4 running on your 1005P and are happy with it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yes, I do have Ubuntu 10.04 working fine on my 1005PE.
    Two things to get it working are:
    1) acpi_osi=Linux (this makes brightness work)
    2) compiled wireless drivers so that wireless works
    I should be noted: That it works so well that this is my only computer, I use it every day. The battery life is amazing. For long term work, I plug a LCD screen, keyboard and mouse.

That said, the netbook version constantly crashes for me. The programme that has all of the icons becomes unresponsive. I've given up on the Netbook launcher. Instead at the login screen I tell it to login as Gnome, rather that Netbook. Incidentally, the 2D version still crashes... sigh.

At the moment, my favourite version is Ubuntu Mint
    http://www.linuxmint.com
    Ubuntu 20.04 on Apple Macbook Air

If you don't hear back from me, I forgot to subscribe to the thread, sorry... send me a message, to give me a poke and wake me up.

Beans

Hey guys,

I installed 10.04 onto my eee pc 1005p, but I've been unable to get the wireless to start working.

I've tried all the solutions in this thread (the nethatw.inf and nethatwx.inf - both were invalid drivers when i tried installing them using the ndiswrapper)

I also tried using the the compat-wireless solution i found on a number of forums. I went through the entire process, was able to see the wireless option (disabled). I was unable to enable it, and the option would disappear after a reboot.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this stuff, and I'd really appreciate any help...

Thanks...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast