Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get a Verizon UMW190 to work in 9.10?

Beans

How can I get a Verizon UMW190 to work in 9.10?

I tried using the vzaccess manager in wine. that didn't work. So I click on the "enable mobile broadband" button after clicking on the networks notification. I'm not sure how to fill out the wizard so I was hoping someone could help.

here are some screenshots with how far I got.
    thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: How can I get a Verizon UMW190 to work in 9.10?

I have the same mobile broadband modem and use it regularly without any problems.

The Verizon UMW190 is a so called "global ready" 3G modem, meaning that it connects to both CDMA and GSM networks. Alas, Ubuntu 9.10's Network Manager currently identifies this modem as GSM only, so until this gets fixed, connecting over a CDMA network (such as Verizon's network in the US) requires that you use an additional application.

Install "gnome-ppp" -- this is the application you will use to connect -- you can find it under Applications -> Ubuntu Software Center, or under System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager. (Once you have installed it, you may also want to restart your computer to undo anything else you may have done while trying to solve this problem.)

To use the modem, do the following:

Step 1. Plug the modem in.
    Step 2. Launch gnome-ppp as administrator (e.g., press Alt-F2 and type "gksu gnome-ppp"), and configure the following settings:

• Modem Tab
      • Device: /dev/ttyACM0 (in my case, the auto-detect button correctly identified the device)
      • Type: USB Modem (do not leave as analog modem!)
      • Speed: 460800
      • Phone Line: Tone
      • Volume: Off

• Options Tab
      • Minimize: checked
      • Dock in Notification Area: checked

Click Close. Fill in the fields in the main Gnome PPP window:

• Username: 1234567890@vzw3g.com (any 10-digit number works for me)
    • Password: vzw
    • Phone Number: #777

Step 3. Click Connect. That should be it.

To disconnect, click on the gnome-ppp dock notification icon.

These settings will be saved for the next time you need to connect.

(Hat tip: http://www.jasons.org/2008/09/02/how...-ubuntu-hardy/)
    Last edited by fheinsen; March 20th, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Ubuntu Linux user
    Since November 2004

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Billt Joe View Post
    I tried using the vzaccess manager in wine. that didn't work. So I click on the "enable mobile broadband" button after clicking on the networks notification. I'm not sure how to fill out the wizard so I was hoping someone could help.

here are some screenshots with how far I got.
    thanks!
    hi

if the Network Manager does not have the details then ask your service provider

it would be interesting to see the outputs of these commands entered from the termial

Code:

dmesg | grep -e "modem" -e "tty"

this will show the ports been used and the type of modem

Code:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

this will show the activity of the main system log

The Network Manager also has a database called serviceproviders.xml this can be edited to suit your ISP , there is also the option of providing info of type of connection IE: CDMA or GSM etc

Details here

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager...rviceProviders

also if you do not wish Gnomeppp at "user level "and not " superuser check "these out

PPP Connection Utilities
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

I'm having the same problems, and am a little cautious about installing gnome-ppp. Synaptic says if I do so it will uninstall resolvconf. Will that mess up my other "normal" connections that I depend on Network Manager for?

BTW, I've installed usb-modeswitch to get Network Manager to recognize the modem part of the UMW190, and that works well, but NM wants to create a GSM Mobile Broadband connection. And like others, I don't know what to plug in to the APN blank.

Running Linux Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu 9.10) on a Lenovo x200 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8600@2.40GHz, 3 GB RAM

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi

The Network Manager should handle cdma and gsm connections , it is a front end to ppp

For APN check with your ISP , also for all details to be entered if they are not listed , also ask them for the numerical addresses of their named servers , these can be entered DNS servers box when IVp4 is set to Automatic (PPP) address only, helpful if the network manager fails to return the addresses of the named servers .

Also note , as you say installing gnomeppp wants to remove resolvconf , also if you have gnomeppp installed then installing resolvconf will want to remove gnomeppp or wvdial
    however do not get confused with the etc/resolv.conf or the etc/ppp/resolv.conf

added

have a look at this post #21 as regards Network Manager (How to update the Network Manager database.)/also examine the file mentioned (serviceproviders.xml ) note the difference between gsm and cdma ,

found a thread here , may be of help , may be the post at #21 not required

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963529
    Last edited by alexfish; April 23rd, 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Beans

@alexfish, thanks for the suggestions, but I'm still stuck. I tried the procedure at the thread you mentioned, but NM still tries to connect the UMW190 to a GSM network, even though the device is configured for CDMA.

Could it be that the usb_modeswitch script is flagging the device incorrectly, setting it up to NM as a GSM device? My specific product code isn't in the usb_modeswitch database (so my hardware isn't actually supported), but there is a close match:

Code:
    ########################################################
    # UTStarcom UM185E (distributor "Alltel")

DefaultVendor= 0x106c
    DefaultProduct=0x3b06

TargetVendor=  0x106c
    TargetProduct= 0x3717

CheckSuccess=20

MessageContent="55534243b82e238c24000000800008ff020000000000000000000000000000"
    lsusb identifies my vendor as 0x106c and the device as 0x3b05.
    Does the "MessageContent=" line identify the type network and set up strings? Do you have an example of a MessageContent string I could use to dial Verizon over CDMA?

I spent a bit of time on the phone with Verizon Wireless tech support, and they have never heard of APN. Looking at the Service Provider Database on the NetworkManager site, I learned that CDMA networks don't use APN.

Also, I don't understand your answer about resolvconf. You confirmed that installing gnome-ppp will remove resolvconf, but didn't tell me whether that was good or bad for NM. I need NM for wired and wifi connections more than I need mobile broadband, but there are occasions when mobile broadband is the only option.

Here are the results of a couple of information gathering commands:

Code:
    $ dmesg | grep -e "modem" -e "tty"
    [    0.001207] console [tty0] enabled
    [    0.960169] 0000:00:03.3: ttyS0 at I/O 0x1830 (irq = 17) is a 16550A
    [13992.007142] cdc_acm 2-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    [13992.009585] cdc_acm: v0.26:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
    [16192.714060] cdc_acm 2-2:1.0: ttyACM1: USB ACM device
    Code:
    $ tail -f /var/log/syslog
    Apr 23 22:08:19 kwatson-lnx02 modem-manager: Got failure code 100: Unknown error
    Apr 23 22:09:20 kwatson-lnx02 NetworkManager: <WARN>  stage1_prepare_done(): GSM modem connection failed: (32) Network timeout
    Apr 23 22:09:20 kwatson-lnx02 NetworkManager: <info>  (ttyACM1): device state change: 4 -> 9 (reason 1)
    Apr 23 22:09:20 kwatson-lnx02 NetworkManager: <info>  Marking connection 'Verizon Mobile Broadband' invalid.
    Apr 23 22:09:20 kwatson-lnx02 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (ttyACM1) failed.
    Apr 23 22:09:20 kwatson-lnx02 NetworkManager: <info>  (ttyACM1): device state change: 9 -> 3 (reason 0)
    Apr 23 22:09:20 kwatson-lnx02 NetworkManager: <info>  (ttyACM1): deactivating device (reason: 0).
    Apr 23 22:09:20 kwatson-lnx02 NetworkManager: <info>  (eth0): writing resolv.conf to /sbin/resolvconf
    Apr 23 22:09:20 kwatson-lnx02 NetworkManager: <info>  Policy set 'Auto eth0' (eth0) as default for routing and DNS.
    Apr 23 22:17:01 kwatson-lnx02 CRON[4503]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Last edited by kwatson512; April 24th, 2010 at 01:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

hi

can you post the results of the lsusb command from the terminal, this should show the exact ID's of the device, however, if the device is recognised with NM then it would seem feasible to connect to the Internet either from NM or wvdial or Gnome ppp (front end to wvdial), NM and the developers have been requesting input for x.time from ISP's

Verizon , what can I say, cdma is one of the most accessible forms of modern day communications as regards modems and the internet, Education and Training is supposed to be . What? , quite possibly told " if you hear the word Linux " answer " Don,t know , act dumb, this is normally a forward process for PPP , the protocols are the same for windows and for Linux

Sorry for the rant

will post further on the resolvconf or the resolv.conf. time for ZZZZZ.

regards

alexfish
    Last edited by alexfish; April 24th, 2010 at 05:02 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi kwatson512

Had Time to look through the messages etc

don't know if the modeswitch is required for this device ( yet the ID's point to the device you have mentioned ) one possibility is that the modeswitch is resetting the device, you could try uninstalling usb_modeswitch and see what happens to the ID's

For now it looks as if the modem is recognised on ttyACM zero and one, and the drivers have loaded

[13992.007142] cdc_acm 2-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    [13992.009585] cdc_acm: v0.26:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
    [16192.714060] cdc_acm 2-2:1.0: ttyACM1: USB ACM device

Looking at the error message Activation failed presents another problem

Here is a list

1. have you activated the device with Verizon, if not ask Verizon to activated your modem / follow their advice , it may have to be done in windows

here is the the brickwall you are facing with NM assuming the device has been activated

2. if your connection requires an sid (for your area)check with verizon, then you maybe able to find the operator and the sid listed in the providers database , so you may be able to pick this up via the wizard .if not you may be able to enter the details in the database. as previously mentioned, and hope NM connects to the correct tty

3. as you can see from the posts most prefer using wvdial or gnomeppp. Yep , the problem you have is the resovconf this is a piece of software available in the repo's(check to see if it is installed), as the name suggests is a name server handler something that this type of connection does not require( I think). although some suggest it's use for certain connections including mobile networks.For now if you have to opt for the use of gnomeppp or wvdial then it looks as if no options are available but to remove the said piece of software (there may be other options available but would need to check this out, have you configured and used this program, if so make a backup any configurations you have,before removing the software, one reason some prefer gnomeppp is that it should detect the modem and use the correct port

regards

alexfish
    Last edited by alexfish; April 24th, 2010 at 12:28 PM.

Beans

Yeah, modeswitch was a red herring. I removed it but that didn't change the behavior of NM. NM still thinks the device is GSM. BTW, I did activate it with Verizon under Windows and it works perfectly there.

I guess my only option at this point is to try gnome-ppp. I'll report back.

Beans
    Hidden!

possibly one way to verify the types of connections the modem uses is to use a serial terminal such as minicom , when set up

the ATI or AT+GCAP command may reveal some details about the device

ATI......... Identification
    AT+GCAP Request Complete Capabilities List

Added :

I have looked up this device here is part of the extract

The Verizon Wireless UMW190 comes to the market with 3G connectivity, and is capable of delivering high-speed Internet. The gadget features support for Dual-Band CDMA Revision A (Rev. A), Tri-Band UMTS / HSPA and Quad-Band GSM / GPRS / EDGE frequencies, which makes it fit for use anywhere around the world.

so maybe the above AT commands may reveal what is shown in the extract, thinking thoughts ' is it meant to be used as gsm or cdma etc or is it making its own choice, or has this been set by the configuration in windows. mmm . can you double check this. in windows what does the phone number show in connection details, also get as much info from network connection / properties

regards

alexfish
    Last edited by alexfish; April 24th, 2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast