Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building New Computer

Beans

Re: Building New Computer

I have been looking at different 5.25 inch front panel hubs for my old case that only has USB 2.0. I have seen hubs that include USB C along with microphone and speaker jacks. How important is it for the USB C to be powered? Does the MB provide for adequate power?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I have been looking at different 5.25 inch front panel hubs for my old case that only has USB 2.0. I have seen hubs that include USB C along with microphone and speaker jacks. How important is it for the USB C to be powered? Does the MB provide for adequate power?
    Do you want to charge anything with the connection? Otherwise, it will be enough for an SSD USB, but perhaps not enough for a spinning HDD. Spinning HDDs always need to have external power to get the any performance. USB isn't meant to power a 2.5in or 3.5in spinning HDD. If it works, performance usually is much, much, lower.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daniell59 View Post
    I have been looking at different 5.25 inch front panel hubs for my old case that only has USB 2.0.
    Wait. What case and motherboard are you talking about? The Rosewill Challenger S has one front USB 3.0 port from what I see. This is getting confusing. You started out talking about building a new system, and now you are talking about adding Type-C to a current system or to a new system in the Challenger S?

How important is it for the USB C to be powered? Does the MB provide for adequate power?
    The motherboard will only provide adequate power with a Type-C header or some kind of external power source. If you only connect the 19/20 pin USB data cable, the Type-C port may function as a basic USB port, but don't quote me on that. As Fu said, it's not going to charge anything.

Beans

Thanks for your informative replies. It is more clear to me now.

Beans

I should have be more clear. I have 3 cases. Two Lian Li and one Rosewill. One of the Lian Li cases is the home for a very old Bios Star motherboard. This case front panel is limited to two USB 2.0 ports. The other Lian Li case has two USB 2.0 ports, an audio port, mike port and a 1394 port. I am still deciding the following. Should I go AM4 or AM5? Should I add ports to the old Lian Li case or use the newer Rosewill Challenger S? What I like most about the Lian Li case is the removable motherboard. Please forgive me for my inane rant.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

All valid considerations.

This case front panel is limited to two USB 2.0 ports.
    That's just if you use the built-in ports. Nothing says the new motherboard must connect to them at all. I have a case with ports like that on the bottom front, but with my Ryzen build, I completely ignore those and put in a fancy 5.25in port front-panel (as described previously) below my 4x drive cage.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

On one of my computers with only two front USB 2.0 connections, I bought a short extension cable, plugged it into one of the USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard in rear of the case, and just dangled it over the top of the case. It was an economical, practical way to get upgraded USB port to front of case. I only need to look for it as both cable and case are black.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123