Thread: no password asked when mounting NTFS partitions

Beans

no password asked when mounting NTFS partitions

hello,
    noticed something that looks a little strange. installed and began using 10.04 yesterday and noticed that ubuntu does not query me for the password when i mount any of the 3 NTFS windows XP partitions.
    all the other versions of ubuntu that i used in the past always required the password. aren't operating systems supposed to be growing more security conscious ? or is this some kind of bug with the installation ?
    thanks !

Beans

Re: no password asked when mounting NTFS partitions

As far as I know, you do not need a password when mounting a partition, but you do when mounting a network share. Is that what you were referring to?

Beans

AM_SOS, you are correct. But it's not a bug it's a feature. After 170000 posts from people complaining about all the %@#! password prompts, Ubuntu apparently just let's it rip.

So prior to 10.04 you needed to supply your sudo password to access the partition if it was not defined in /etc/fstab. Now you don't. I agree with your assessment about security. The only way out is to mount it in fstab and restrict permissions.

Beans

no, no. i was talking about mounting NTFS windows partitions.

see i have 3 partitions on XP - the usual C, D, E. i have installed 10.04 as dual boot and had used the manual installer for this.

i have followed the same practice in the past with 9.10 and many earlier versions.

every time i wanted to access the C, D or E drives of XP from within ubuntu, i would click on " Places " in the main menu / start button, and would immediately be prompted for a password.

it is for the first time with 10.04 that i notice that it is not asking me for the password.

hence, i was wondering if this could be a security issue / bug due to an improper installation. although of course 10.04 is running normally.

thanks !

Beans

thanks for the clarification Morbius 1 ! frankly, i liked the password protection features of ubuntu which were minimal at best, and required only for key processes. so while i hated the UAC in vista and switched it off at the first opportunity, i was pretty much ok with ubuntu prompting me for PW's once in a while. i think ubuntu's general password protection was well implemented.
    maybe they could have given us an option. or better still increased the time interval associated with the " elevated privileges " key shaped icon that comes up on the panel.

as an aside do you think its safe to transfer much data from within ubuntu to the windows partitions ? i do not have the secuity issue in mind as much as the possibility of data corruption.
    so far i have tended to be careful and have mounted the windows partitions from within ubuntu to read files only.

thanks !

Beans

You are definitely asking the wrong person. I am very old school when it comes to this sort of thing. I allow write access to other NTSF partitions but never the Windows OS partition. Windows is a delicate creature and best left as read only. Clearly this is just my personal preference.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AM_SOS View Post
    thanks for the clarification Morbius 1 ! frankly, i liked the password protection features of ubuntu which were minimal at best, and required only for key processes. so while i hated the UAC in vista and switched it off at the first opportunity, i was pretty much ok with ubuntu prompting me for PW's once in a while. i think ubuntu's general password protection was well implemented.
    I don't know much about Vista's UAC, but policykit and sudo are not only well implemented but highly configurable tools.

If you want to (re-)enable the password authentication for mounting/unmounting/checking internal partitions, then edit the com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla file:
    Code:
    gksu gedit  /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla
    and comment out the section which allows admin users to mount/unmount/check partitions without a password:
    Code:
    #[Mounting, checking, etc. of internal drives]
    #Identity=unix-group:admin
    #Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-*;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-ata-smart*
    #ResultActive=yes

[Change CPU Frequency scaling]
    Identity=unix-group:admin
    Action=org.gnome.cpufreqselector
    ResultActive=yes

[Setting the clock]
    Identity=unix-group:admin
    Action=org.gnome.clockapplet.mechanism.*
    ResultActive=yes
    If you want to enable password authentication for external partitions as well, then instead of commenting out the section replace the ResultActive=yes by ResultActive=auth_admin_keep.

policykit is under development, it doesn't include a GUI configuration tool for the time being.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

JOC, where is the drive mounted to? they may have changed it to mount in userspace (in your profile, probably at ~/.gvfs). since userspace mounting doesn't use the 'mount' command, or attempt to touch any mount points that you don;t own, it shouldn't need sudo. the old default involved creating and mounting to a new directory in /media (root:root) named after the label of the disk being mounted (or DISK# if absent).
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.