Page 96 of 169 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    It looks like the bug has been fixed in openSUSE and Fedora is going to patch theirs.
    I was told by people using both distro's that this was patched. Neither worked when I tried them.

I also compiled QT from source on Arch. This still failed, too.

However, it does look like it is fixed in Qt-4.6.3. Hopefully that will be released soon.
    Indeed. However, the fact that it still didn't work on distro(s) that are already patched has me concerned for if 4.6.3 will actually help.

I am thinking that the only way that Lucid will get the fix is if someone points them to look at openSUSE or Fedora's patch so that they can incorporate it into 4.6.2
    Way ahead of you...
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dk/+bug/564420

(I don't think that Ubuntu will bump the Qt version to 4.6.3 once Lucid is released).
    I'm hoping you're wrong, although I suspect you're right, especially with Lucid being an LTS.

Anyway, thanks for looking into this Ayuthia. It's appreciated! One day I'll get to try Krita with my tablet... One day!
    Facebook, Apple, Google, corrupt governments, the ISP's and Telco's
    can be beaten at their own game by free and open source software.
    Here's how. (Extra credit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I need some bravish testers again. New code up at:
    http://www.ofb.net/~rafi/2010_04_27_hid-ntrig.c

I've added a number of behavioral tweaks aimed at adjusting the responsiveness and sensitivity. All the new tweaks are available through both sysfs and as module parameters. I'd really like to know if anyone is seeing ghost events (clicks when you're not touching the screen). My goal is to find a computationally cheap method to eliminate ghosts and maximize responsiveness and sensitivity.

If you want to test it, I suggest capturing a bit of a sample with your favorite drawing program before and after the update.

Please let me know what you think.

ps. Studio17 owners, this one's for you (ok, everyone using a multitouch firmware should see a large improvement)

pps: Some of the sysfs set functions were all storing to a single setting instead of the ones they should have written too. I've updated the copy of the driver at that url, if you downloaded before 7:30pm EDT, please grab a fresh copy. Only impacts live tweaking via sysfs.
    Last edited by rafiyr; April 28th, 2010 at 12:39 AM.

Beans

Hello all,

!!!! Reposting in this thread upon request from Favux: My TX2z findings from How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC thread. !!!!

First of all, thanks to all of you for your efforts & good documentation (although it seems to be getting 'a little' complex).
    Special thanks to Favux, rafiyr & Ayuthia.

I have a HP Touchsmart tx2z-1020 w. Vista firmware.

Getting everything:
    Code:
    - touch with grab				(need good N-Trig module)
    - stylus with right button			(modify '10-wacom.conf' or 'xorg.conf')
    - rotation with hinge				(event from 'hp-wmi' module & magic rotation)
    - rotation with bezel button			(???, not possible ATM, use script instead)
    - good DSDT for ACPI readings			(???, fan,speed,..., for CPU temp: use 'k10temp' module)
    - on-screen keyboard				(created onboard applet/launcher on panel)(cellwriter does not have <Alt-Gr>)
    - touchscreen multi-touch / gestures		(Work-in-Progress, patched n-trig w. wacom, 'EasyStroke' program)
    - multi-finger / gestures on Synaptics touchpad	(Synaptics solution should be coming ~2010-04-20)
    - fingerprint reader authentication/PAM/sudo	(use 'fprint' along w. disabling 'gksu' screengrab)
    - ability to unlock screensaver w. onboard	(start 'onboard' & use its setup)(or gconf-editor (apps->gnome-screensaver->embedded_keyboard_...))
    - an easy way to recalibrate touchscreen	(Work-in-Progress: wacomcpl is not in Lucid (yet?))(evdev vs. wacom?)
    to work (correctly/well) is quite a challenge. Unfortunately, this would be a deal breaker for most any newbie/MS Win convert.

Here are some of my findings, and a little script I use (I have converted a couple of tx2z to linux).

On one, I have lucid installed (since alpha1).
    - I am using the patched hid_ntrig module (input-wacom module not needed anymore).
    - My xorg.conf only contains the 'fglrx' section for the ATI video card.
    - I modified '10-wacom.conf' to get the stylus button to work.
    - Have not tried to get multitouch to work (would like to, but seems to be in a state of flux at the moment).
    - Radeon HD 3200 video card w. rotation support (MUCH lower temperature/fan speed w. ATI proprietary 'fglrx' module)

Currently, the stylus ends up being controlled by wacom & touch by evdev.
    Both xinput & xsetwacom list devices twice, I have no idea why.
    Even though 'hp-wmi' module is loaded, there are no events being generated (in /sys/devices/...) for hinge rotation (nor for bezel button), so automagic screen rotation does not work for me.

I use the script, attached to an applet added to the panel, for a clockwise (my preference) rotation with each click:
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/rotator.sh  rturn   wacom 6   evdev touch
    Usage:
    Code:
    rotator.sh  [-v]  direction|position    method  device    [...]

where:	-v	turn on Verbose mode
    	Direction = (lturn|l)|(rturn|r)|(flip|f)
    		Turn 90° to the Left or Right, or Flip 180° (inversion), relative to previous position
    	Orientation = (right|3)|(left|1)|(normal|0|(inverted|2)
    		Turn the display TO that position
    	Method: (wacom|evdev)
    	Device: (stylus|eraser|touch|mttouch|dev#)
    The script allows most combinations of method/device because, as I have found out on another TX2z, until the (multiple/competing) drivers/protocols/methods/... for naming/numbering devices settle and are finalized, we can expect surprises as to 'what ends up where'.
    It could be improved, ie. adding support for multi-touch device, more error checking / feedback, ...

Hope it helps someone (getting closer to a better "Out Of the Box" experience, and maybe "Just Works" some day).

PEP

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # Enhanced rotate shell script, based on rafiyr's http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9133869&postcount=918
    # and others (gathered on forums).
    # Added rturn & lturn, to rotate screen left/right a quarter turn at a time (mainly
    # because default hp-wmi module was not returning an 'event' for the 'Rotate' button
    # on the bezel of my tx2z, nor for hinge rotation).
    #
    # This script can be used as the command in a 'rotate' applet/launcher button manually added
    # to the desktop panel (w. 90° rotation to emulate to bezel button (under Windows), or
    # possibly 180° flip, with each click of the applet).
    #	with (for example) command: /usr/local/bin/rotator.sh rturn evdev touch wacom 6
    #	(assuming you put an executable copy of the script in '/usr/local/bin'
    #
    # Usage: rotator.sh  [-v]   direction|position    method  device    [...]
    #
    # where:	-v	turn on Verbose mode
    # 		Direction = (lturn|l)|(rturn|r)|(flip|f)
    #			Turn 90° to the Left or Right, or Flip 180° (inversion), relative to previous position
    #		Orientation = (right|3)|(left|1)|(normal|0|(inverted|2)
    #			Turn the display TO that position
    #		Method: (wacom|evdev)
    #		Device: (stylus|eraser|touch|mttouch|dev#)
    #

print_usage()
    {
    	echo "Usage: `basename $0`  [-v]  Direction|Orientation   Method Device  [...]"
    	echo "\t-v\tturn on Verbose mode"
    	echo "\tDirection = (lturn|l)|(rturn|r)|(flip|f)"
    	echo "\t\tTurn 90° Left or Right, or Flip 180° (inversion), relative to previous position"
    	echo "\tOrientation = (right|3)|(left|1)|(normal|0|(inverted|2)"
    	echo "\t\tTurn the display TO that position"
    	echo "\tMethod: (wacom|evdev)"
    	echo "\tDevice: (stylus|eraser|touch|mttouch|dev#)\n"
    	exit 1
    }

#
    # List devices found by both "xinput" (evdev) & "xsetwacom", to 'see'
    # who 'gets what', as well as device numbers
    #
    list_devices()
    {
    	echo "Devices found with xinput:\n"
    	xinput --list
    	echo "Devices found with xsetwacom:\n"
    	xsetwacom --list
    }

#
    # Figure out the device Number, depending on Method (different naming scheme)
    #	wacom: "stylus", "eraser", "touch", "mttouch"
    #	n-trig: "N-Trig Pen", "N-Trig Touchscreen", "N-Trig MultiTouch"
    #
    get_device_number()
    {
    	#
    	# If invoked with Wacom method, 1st look for Wacom device names (w. lower DeviceID)
    	#
    	if [ $method = "wacom" ]; then
    		devNum=`xinput --list --short "$1" | cut -c 45-46`
    		#
    		# If an actual Wacom device number was not returned (xinput is not always well-behaved,
    		# i.e. return something), use the corresponding evdev device name
    		#
    		if [ "$devNum" = "" ] || [ `echo $devNum | sed 's/^[0-9]*//' | wc -c` -ne 1 ]; then
    			devNum=`xinput --list --short "$2" | cut -c 45-46`
    		fi
    	else
    		devNum=`xinput --list --short "$2" | cut -c 45-46`
    	fi
    	return $devNum
    }

#
    # Parse the orientation parameter & in case of 'rturn', 'lturn' and 'flip', check the
    # current orientation and make sure that the next value is within bound.
    #
    parse_orientation()
    {
    	case $1 in
    		rturn | r)
    			orientNum=$((current_orientation-1))
    			if [ $orientNum -le "-1" ]; then
    				orientNum=3
    			fi
    		;;
    		lturn | l)
    			orientNum=$((current_orientation+1))
    			if [ $orientNum -ge "4" ]; then
    				orientNum=0
    			fi
    		;;
    		flip | f)
    			orientNum=$((current_orientation+2))
    			if [ $orientNum -eq "4" ]; then
    				orientNum=0
    			elif [ $orientNum -eq "5" ]; then
    				orientNum=1
    			fi
    		;;
    		normal | 0)
    			orientNum=0
    		;;
    		left | 1)
    			orientNum=1
    		;;
    		inverted | 2)
    			orientNum=2
    		;;
    		right | 3)
    			orientNum=3
    		;;
    		* )
    			echo "!!!! Invalid orientation specified: "$1" !!!!"
    			print_usage
    		;;
    	esac
    	return $orientNum
    }

#
    # Actually perform input device rotation, according to selected method.
    # Arguments: Method, Device, Orientation, Swap Axes, Axis Inversion X, Axis Inversion Y, Topx, BottomX, TopY, BottomY
    #
    do_rotation()
    {
    	if [ $1 = "wacom" ]; then
    		xsetwacom set $2 rotate $3
    #		xsetwacom set $2 TopX $7
    #		xsetwacom set $2 BottomX $9
    #		xsetwacom set $2 TopY $8
    #		xsetwacom set $2 BottomY ${10}
    		#
    		# It would seem possible to use xinput instead, to setup Wacom device?: http://gist.github.com/331086
    		# Must check which "calibration resolution" to use ...
    		#xinput set-prop $SCREEN_CODE "Wacom Rotation" 1
    		#xinput set-prop $SCREEN_CODE "Wacom Tablet Area" 16320, 0, 0, 26112
    	else
    		#
    		# If using "evdev" method, adjust the device (touch/calibration) accordingly
    		#
    		xinput set-prop $2 "Evdev Axes Swap" $4
    		xinput set-prop $2 "Evdev Axis Inversion" $5 $6
    		xinput set-prop $2 "Evdev Axis Calibration" $7 $8 $9 ${10}
    	fi
    }

#
    # ========   Main Program   ========
    #
    if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
    	print_usage
    fi

#
    # If "-v" specified alone, list devices found & exit.
    # Otherwise, if enough arguments were passed, go on.
    #
    if [ "$1" = "-v" ]; then
    	list_devices
    	if [ $# -eq 1 ]; then
    		exit
    	elif [ $# -lt 4 ]; then
    		echo "\n`basename $0`: !!!! Not enough parameters specified !!!!"
    		print_usage
    	fi
    	shift
    fi

#
    # Parse & get current orientation, and do integer conversion (in order to be
    # able to (in/de)crement for each 90° rotation, also needed later for 'easier' comparison)
    #
    current_orientation="$(xrandr -q --verbose | grep 'connected' | egrep -o  '\) (normal|left|inverted|right) \(' | egrep -o '(normal|left|inverted|right)')"
    parse_orientation $current_orientation
    current_orientation=$?

#
    # parse & convert the new position
    #
    parse_orientation $1
    orientation=$?
    shift

#
    # Check if new orientation is different from current one.
    #
    if [ $orientation -eq $current_orientation ]; then
    	echo "Nothing to do."
    	exit
    fi

#
    # repeat the device rotation/calibration for all devices passed as arguments
    #
    while [ $# -gt 0 ]
    do
    	# get and (crudely) parse method for errors
    	method=$1; shift
    	case $method in
    		wacom ) ;;
    		evdev ) ;;
    		* )
    			echo "!!!! Invalid method specified: "$method" !!!!"
    			print_usage
    			;;
    	esac

#
    	# get and (crudely) parse device for errors and convert device name to number
    	# (also specifying ntrig/evdev device name) unless an acutal device number was passed.
    	#
    	device=$1; shift
    	case $device in
    		stylus | eraser)
    			get_device_number $device "N-Trig Pen"
    			device=$?
    		;;
    		touch )
    			get_device_number $device "N-Trig Touchscreen"
    			device=$?
    		;;
    		mttouch )
    			get_device_number $device "N-Trig MultiTouch"
    			device=$?
    		;;
    		* )
    			if [ `echo $device | sed 's/^[0-9]*//' | wc -c` -ne 1 ]; then
    				echo "!!!! Invalid device specified: "$device" !!!!"
    				print_usage
    			fi
    		;;
    	esac

#
    	# Make sure we ended up with a device 'number' (try to catch cases where driver/module
    	# is not loaded, which can cause lock-up)
    	#
    	if [ "$device" = "" ] || [ `echo $device | sed 's/^[0-9]*//' | wc -c` -ne 1 ]; then
    		print_usage
    	fi

#
    	# Set rotation plane/geometry parameters, and if using "wacom"
    	# method, also perform device/calibration rotation
    	#
    	real_topX=0
    	real_topY=0
    	real_bottomX=9600
    	real_bottomY=7200

case $orientation in
    		0)
    			do_rotation $method $device "NONE" 0 0 0 $real_topX $real_bottomX $real_topY $real_bottomY
    		;;
    		1)
    			do_rotation $method $device "CCW" 1 1 0 $real_topX $real_bottomY $real_topY $real_bottomX
    		;;
    		2 )
    			do_rotation $method $device "HALF" 0 1 1 $real_topX $real_bottomX $real_topY $real_bottomY
    		;;
    		3 )
    			do_rotation $method $device "CW" 1 0 1 $real_topX $real_bottomY $real_topY $real_bottomX
    		;;
    	esac
    done

#
    # Perform actual rotation of the X display/screen
    #
    xrandr -o $orientation
    Last edited by pepar; May 11th, 2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Lucid final Updates & cleaned up script (added flip & mttouch)

Beans

Just a few quick notes:

- Looks like ntrig firmware version 2.59 introduces incompatable changes again; I installed it, but touch seems to be broken now; on the bright side 2.184 and 2.2?35? work seamlessly.

- and the fact that the pen, not the touch is working is actually a relief, because carrying the device around in a backpack seems to have degraded performace, there is now sometimes a "ghost" event that sends coordinates from the center of the screen, Windows is also a bit confused. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Last edited by dyslexia; April 28th, 2010 at 07:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I experienced this but it was when I was using KDE. It never occured in gnome.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dyslexia View Post
    Just a few quick notes:

- Looks like ntrig firmware version 2.59 introduces incompatable changes again; I installed it, but touch seems to be broken now; on the bright side 2.184 and 2.2?35? work seamlessly.

- and the fact that the pen, not the touch is working is actually a relief, because carrying the device around in a backpack seems to have degraded performace, there is now sometimes a "ghost" event that sends coordinates from the center of the screen, Windows is also a bit confused. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Ghosting is sort of common. In my experience it comes and goes as it pleases, even rebooting may make it come or go. The width>= 250 && height>=190 in the newer versions of the firmwares catches it, but only for multi touch mode. I saw ghosting very rarely if ever in single touch mode, and it just didn't seem as necessary.

Which kernel driver are you using? One of the more recent patches is specifically for 2.59+touch+evedev.

I'd also suggest a reboot and running the reset in the ntrig control panel in windows.

Beans
    Distro

One of the more recent patches is specifically for 2.59+touch+evedev.
    The one you posted a few days back?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcoleman44 View Post
    The one you posted a few days back?
    Actually the 2010_04_14 version should work just as well for 2.59. The changes in this week's version should only effect devices that are sending multitouch streams.

Beans

Hi!

I've just installed Lucid lynx , everything works out of the box but the touchscreen left click doesn't work, also Pen right click and eraser doesn't work.

What should I do?I'm pretty confused now, should I patch something?Should I use a xorg.conf?an Udev rules?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Nimless View Post
    Hi!

I've just installed Lucid lynx , everything works out of the box but the touchscreen left click doesn't work, also Pen right click and eraser doesn't work.

What should I do?I'm pretty confused now, should I patch something?Should I use a xorg.conf?an Udev rules?

Thanks!
    You might try using the hid-ntrig.c version from post 952 and see if it makes a difference.

rafiyr, do you know which version Lucid is using for the stock kernel? It is looking like the BTN_TOUCH or BTN_DOUBLETAP is not in the single touch portion for the kernel module. If I recall correctly, the Vista firmware and possibly the 2.59 firmware is defaulting to the single touch mode. Those two versions seem to be having a problem with the touch not producing the left click.

Page 96 of 169 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast