Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wubi installed Karmic - grub broken following kernel update

Beans

Re: Wubi installed Karmic - grub broken following kernel update

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyoutlaw View Post
    A microsecond before popping up the grub shell I can see 'try (hd0,0): NTFS5'. When I type 'ls' though I dont have '(hd0,0)' - I only have (loop0), (hd0), (hd0,5), hd(0,1), (hd1), (hd1,0), (hd1,1).
    When you open /boot/grub/device.map in Ubuntu, what is the contents? If there is a reference to (hd0,0) change it to (hd0,1) and do a "sudo update-grub".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

wubi attaches itself to the Windows dos4grub if in Vista or windows 7 use the command in
    Windows "bcdedit" without quotes to see the menu, should be one with Wubi in it.
    If not then a problem but does not use grub2 as far as I ever new. It is like an App. inside
    of Windows. The actual folder is right next to users in C: drive. At one time I used Wubi and have had the booting to grub prompt before and their was a fix. I have to think a minute before I can remember what it was. Anyway make sure wubi is still in the Windows
    grub with the earlier command line reference.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; December 10th, 2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lupin/+bug/477169
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

Re: install grub2 before doing these latest updates

Hello everybody... I think I found a solution for this... i didn't figure it out myself, but for the people who see this particular thread it might be usefull

1.At the "Grub 1.97 beta" type these

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    boot

and ubuntu gloriously comes back to life!!!!

Once you're back in, you just have to do what Ramalho said earlier.. here it is

1) use the system update app to apply the latest kernel updates but DO NOT REBOOT as suggested by the system

2) run: $ sudo update-grub2

3) run: $ sudo apt-get install grub2

4) now reboot into the new default kernel (2.6.31-16)

Though I had to reboot using kernel (2.6.31-14)

Hope it helps!!
    Last edited by jolurove; December 10th, 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Beans

Close. I had to use sda1 instead of sda2. And I was still unable to boot into -16, but at least I was able to boot into -15. It's something I can work with. Thanks for posting! For those who are interested, the bug report can be found at: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/477169

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Same issue. At first, I could get to the Grub menu, but not into the latest kernel (though I could still make it into an earlier kernel). Then, I tried running sudo update-grub2 and then sudo aptitutde install grub2 from within the old kernel. Now, it just goes to a Grub prompt, which looks something like what Justin C. reported.

I tried this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    boot
    ...but there's no /dev/sda* (or /dev/hda*, for that matter). I think that's partially cause I'm on a Lenovo (G450 laptop).
    Last edited by onlineapps; December 15th, 2009 at 10:54 PM.

Beans

ok... i've completely had it with ubuntu...

so far with 9.10...

-first round of updates left me in a kernal panic
    - second round of updates left me at a grub prompt
    - a reinstall and update left me at a grub prompt
    - a third reinstall I disabled everything except security updates

... last night it updated itself, I saw it for some reason installed a new kernal despite having security updates only, got scared and ran update-grub2 before i rebooted, showed the 2 ubuntu kernals...

rebooted today and i'm left at the other f'in grub prompt again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's pretty bad... at least with wubi installs. I went back to Jaunty. Hopefully things get resolved in 10.04. The "grub" screen of death sucks.
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans

YEAHHH... worked for me. First i ran the command line prompts at the erroneus bootloader attempt. Then i followed steps 1-4 in terminal. Back up muggra.

Beans

What is up with Ubuntu and their lack of testing on stuff like this???

I had a sweet dual Xeon (4 cores) server running as a workstation - 6 disk Ultra320 10K Raid5 (Software raid 'cause IBM's raid5 controller SUX) that would not boot with Grub2 - Had to go back to Jaunty after days of beating my head against the wall..

My company laptop is so trashed with our idiot IT dept's bogus config I borrowed a couple gig for a Karmic install using Wubi. Again with the boot problems.

I think I'm sticking with Jaunty for all my Linux systems until the propeller heads pull their -er... propeller - out of their butt. I'd have preferred they skipped the 9.10 release and just bugfixed things until 10.4 rather than souring so many people on what has historically been a good OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The good thing about the wubi installer is that it does all the work for you. It works it's mojo and when you reboot your computer you have the option of running windows or ubuntu. You don't have to know anything about partioning a hard drive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast