Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to compile acx 100/111 driver in Karmic (FIXED)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: How to compile acx 100/111 driver in Karmic (FIXED)

Thanks Chili,

Apparently the system did not re-create them, cause I couldn't find them after a restart.
    I made new ones and the system is using them...

I'll do that re-size bit. I initially made /var 1 GB so I'll bump it to 2GB.
    I don't have much to lose on this drive yet - it's a new install I'm trying to get up and running.
    Does the system ever do housecleaning on those files? I imagine it must or they'd eventually take over the world.

My background is I learned on unix boxes back in '90 and was an avid learner, but then I didn't touch a command line until around '04 and was not interested in learning much, just wanted to get the box running/limping.
    Now I'm committed to avoiding microsoft and learning when I must.
    Does linux have filename completion like I had in the old days?
    I'd love to get that running. I only looked at .bashrc very briefly and I don't really remember much from .cshrc...

-Joel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does the system ever do housecleaning on those files?
    Yes. When the file reaches a certain size, it is transferred to messages.1 and .1 is transferred to messages.2 and gzipped. This continues until messages.4.gz, after which they are removed. My oldest messages.4.gz goes back to November 8. Other log files follow a similar process.
    Does linux have filename completion like I had in the old days?
    Yes, in several ways. If you type a partial name and press 'Tab,' it will fill in automagically. Also, the most dangerous of all, the dreaded asterisk. The command:
    Code:
    sudo rm foo*
    will remove foo, foo2, foobar, fool, fools, etc., etc. Use the command with care and proofread carefully.

Welcome back to the party! Have fun and post back if we can help you.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jvnn View Post
    ok, secondary problem coming up,
    This time the disk space error isn't due to items in /var/log.
    Now I have large files in /var/cache/apt and /var/lib.

I guess creating a separate partition for /var was a mistake...

any suggestions?
    http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/M...roubleshooting
    (note the part on disabling debug messages)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Kyber, after reading some of the pages at SF and looking at what I'm getting out of the machine...
    http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Firmware says,
    The driver will first try, where appropriate, to load a combined (main chip + radio module) firmware. Failing that, it will try to first load the main chip's firmware image and then the one for the radio module

In the absence of a copy of tiacx100c0D (combined firmware), it seems as though the tiacx100 (main chip) is loading now and I'm not sure about the tiacx100r0D (radio module).

I am presently running out of available time to work on this. We can't run this computer off the network cable without inconveniencing my wife so I'm back in the basement running on my feisty install which uses the wireless card beautifully.

I have 3 wireless cards; this one, a motorola WPCI810G, and a MSI 6834.
    This one always got the best signal, but I'll get whichever one going that will work with Karmic...
    Definitely still need help.

Beans

I got my acx wireless card working with these steps. I made bug report to Launchpad and added my solution+patch.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/495077

Check do this work with your card (tell me what step didn't success and what is says). Make comments to bug report, maybe we got this driver back to upstream.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thanks Aapo, I'll get to it sometime in the next day or 2...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234